Re: I think they are losing the point..
> The best thing YouView can do its get it self embedded with TV manufacturers.
It would be the best thing they could have done but...
The way Youview is set up this is VERY unlikely to happen on a large scale with any major TV manufacturer. Been there, had that discussion when working for large TV manufacturer. If they had defined it at a different level in the stack as more of a service definition/higher level application API it might have been plausible but Youview define the hardware and then they manage the middleware and UI so having a Youview mode or a Youview function in the TV isn't possible.
Key problems include:
1) Control of UI is passed to Youview not device manufacturer so the manufacturer
- Can't differentiate on UI
- Can't add features (or certainly can't control their presentation to users)
2) Hard disc required (in Youview spec)
- No space/too expensive/too short lived for inclusion in TVs.
3) Accepting binary blobs from Youview
- Including software updates
- Requires management and testing on an ongoing basis for every product.
- Has to deal with new hardware annually
4) UK only
- In a world of global products
- All the other points are creating massive workload for UK only products and therefore small volumes.
5) Manufacturer doesn't get revenue share with service providers.