back to article The Lord of the Rings saga lies hidden deep in your Mac

As Hobbitmania continues to build in anticipation of the worldwide release of Peter Jackson's The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, OS X users can slake their thirst for Tolkien lore by firing up their Mac's Terminal app, typing  cat /usr/share/calendar/calendar.lotr  at the prompt, and hitting Return. They'll then be treated to a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

FAIL

Hobbit Schmobbit!

Pfft. I prefer my terminal movies with more action and stunning special effects. You still can't beat the original terminal Star Wars:

telnet towel.blinkenlights.nl

Silver badge

Re: Hobbit Schmobbit!

I wish I had IP6, I'd love to see the colour version.

Silver badge

Re: Hobbit Schmobbit!

If you do use IPv6 it says that it is the same and that the difference is in the visitors. I know, I just tried both.

FAIL

Not for me

Does nothing...

-bash: cat/usr/share/calendar/calendar.lotr: No such file or directory

Unhappy

Re: Not for me

Me fail. Forgot space.

Anonymous Coward

worked for me in Linux Mint

Missing space between the command and the parameter (cat <deliberate space> /pathname)

zb

Try putting a space after cat

cat /usr/share/calendar/calendar.lotr

Thumb Up

Available in Umbongo 12.04 too

The list seems very confused.

No year, everything sorted by day/month?

Yeah. I like the way Aragorn (Elessar) dies and *then* gets married. Bloody weirdos, those elves...

Windows

Yeah you're right. . . the list is all over the place . . bit like Apple really though so kinda to be expected.

Silver badge

Not just OS X

For whatever hat-stand reason, I have this on Ubuntu 10.10 as well.

Silver badge

Re: Not just OS X

Linux distros often have lots of BSD stuff in them including, rather bizarrely, configuration utilities for things like WiFi. I think stuff never gets removed once it lands.

Huh, there's other calendars in there too. Like for history, music, computer-related dates, etc.

Ah, type calendar and it lists the events for today and tomorrow, using all of the files.

Silver badge

...and on Ubuntu 12.10 here as well

Boffin

The BSD calendar made it way into Debian years ago.. and from there it has been carried across most of the major Linux distros, (incuding Ubuntu et. al.) ever since...

Linux

What's the point of this crap?

FAIL

It's the source data to provide an "on this day in history"-type feature in the calendar(1) utility. Only "history" here includes Middle Earth "history"...

Silver badge
Devil

One OS to rule them all,

One OS to find them,

One OS to bring them all

and in the darkness bind them.

Silver badge
Joke

@NoneSuch

Windows 8 can do this too?! ;-)

Forget OSX

It's on my debian linux too.

Silver badge
Joke

Re: Forget OSX

And powerpc64 debian...

"Apple knows the deep magic from the dawn of time, but debian remembers the deeper magic from before the dawn of time."

Ru

Re: Forget OSX

Deeper magic? Are you mixing your milieus?

Sid
FAIL

I'll try again

I'm sure Frodo and Bilbo's birthday is the 22nd of September not the 14th

Bronze badge

Re: I'll try again

that does seem to be the case if Appendix D of the Return of the King is to be trusted.

And Sauron falls on the 25th March

And Ellessar is crowned on 1st May not 23 April

and Elessar marries Arwen on "Mid-years day" not 23 June

end of the War of the Ring is 3 November with the death of Sauron.not 25 October.

good job all this is fictional and not at all important.

Bronze badge

Ah-ha. Hving read a bit of Appendix D, it's all to do with mapping the entirely fictional Shire Calendar onto the real Gregorian Calendar

This post has been deleted by its author

IT Angle

And for any Perl Mongers, here's how to convert the dates:

http://search.cpan.org/~tbraun/Date-Tolkien-Shire-1.13/Shire.pm

Silver badge

Once upon a time I had a desktop gadget in Linux (this was before Microsoft had thought of desktop gadgets) that was a Faerunian calendar. That was slightly nerdier than this I think, if only because I was actually USING a fictional calendar from D&D as opposed to mapping one from LOTR into the real world.

On a related note, can I have back some of that time I had way too much of in my early 20s?

Just did it in Mountain Lion. Too Funny.

Anonymous Coward

>"when exactly was Bilbo rescued from Wargs by Eagles, after all?"

In "The Hobbit": chapter 6, if my information is correct. Shortly after winning the ring from Gollum and escaping from the tunnels under the Misty Mountains, Bilbo meets up with the rest of the crew and they make it as far as a nearby forest where they are attacked by Wargs, allies of the Goblins of the Misty Mountains. They climb up trees to hide, the Goblins arrive and start to set fire to the trees, the eagles - old friends of Gandalf - swoop in and rescue them.

Silver badge
Meh

Re: >"when exactly was Bilbo rescued from Wargs by Eagles, after all?"

Your are correct AC. The Goblins were riding the Wargs though; Wargs are kind of like big dogs.. There's an awfully corny song that accompanies that scene in the book. I hope the songs don't get into "There and Back Again", which is the name of the story.

Gold badge
Meh

Wargs are kind of like big dogs.

Yes. In the same way that nuclear tipped ICBMs are kind of like firework rockets....

Anonymous Coward

There's a lovely image floating around the internet of Gandalf holding an AK-47, caption is "When you absolutely have to kill ALL the orcs in the room". Remember, LOTR is a fantasy (it is?) so there are a number of geek-sites devoted to alternatives. Sauron vs. The Galactic Empire, etc. ("nuke 'em from orbit"). Technology trumps magic every time - Sauron and all the orcs/wargs/trolls/balrogs/you-name-its going up against any reasonably competent modern military is going to be over in a few hours at most. If the modern military decides to get really serious and starts by nuking Isengard and the Dark Tower, it will be like Bambi meets Godzilla plus radioactive fallout. Part of the appeal of LOTR is that for the most part, the outcome is seriously in doubt. The bad guys have a very good chance of winning this, grabbing the ring, and ruling Middle Earth forever. I, for one, would love to make a deal with Elrond for a few dozen Stinger missiles, part of the price will involve a few elf maidens ;-) oh and by the way, would you like to look at the REST of my arms catalog, sir?

"Technology trumps magic every time - Sauron and all the orcs/wargs/trolls/balrogs/you-name-its going up against any reasonably competent modern military is going to be over in a few hours at most."

But that's missing Tolkien's point. That's exactly what Saruman does. Then you become Sauron.

Mushroom

Jon-Tom might disagree about magic vs technology

Is also available

In Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

Headmaster

Re: Is also available

And in Mint, Mythbuntu & Crunchbang. Oddly, there are a couple of misspellings in the version quoted here - Ellesar for Elessar passim, for instance - and more typos in the versions I have to hand, e.g. Lorian and Osgilliath.

I mean, these things are important.

PM.
Trollface

Mowi sie trudno, poczekamy ... :-)

Those calendars are meant to be used with calendar(1) they come from FreeBSD.

See also

cat /usr/share/calendar/calendar.music

and .computer

Silver badge

See also

.freebsd, and .history, and .birthday

Silver badge
Pint

Pagan days!

Next up "12/09 Yule Cleansing - The Danish fetch water for brewing the Yule-Ale"

Silver badge
Thumb Up

Eg:

> $ calendar -f calendar.lotr -A 10

5 Dec Death of Smaug

> $ calendar -f calendar.computer -A 10

8 Dec First Ph.D. awarded by Computer Science Dept, Univ. of Penna, 1965

> $ calendar -f calendar.music -A 10

30 Nov George Harrison dies at 13:30 in L.A., 2001

4 Dec Frank Zappa dies in his Laurel Canyon home shortly before 18:00, 1993

5 Dec Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart dies in Vienna, Austria, 1791

6 Dec The Rolling Stones play Altamont Speedway near San Francisco, 1969

6 Dec First sound recording made by Thomas Edison, 1877

7 Dec Harry Chapin is born in New York City, 1942

8 Dec John Lennon is shot and killed in New York City, 1980

8 Dec Jim Morrison is born in Melbourne, Florida, 1943

9 Dec The Who's "Tommy" premieres in London, 1973

Any reg types reading this, you need to sort out the line spacing in PRE blocks :/

Anonymous Coward

Nope...not correct

The calendar does not match the timeline in the appendix to LotR...in answer to the question psoed about its accuracy.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums