Feeds

back to article Assange needs to get some sunlight and fresh air, say Ecuadoreans

Julian Assange™ is sick. That's the medical verdict according to the Ecuadorean embassy in London where the WikiLeaks founder is currently holed up. He is seeking a safe passage to the South American country and the latest tactic appears to be to complain about his health. A lack of sunshine and living "in a confined space" has …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Joke

And I guess Ecuador has just the right amount of sunshine he needs

Wonder if this excuse works the workplace too...

Silver badge
Happy

Re: And I guess Ecuador has just the right amount of sunshine he needs

"Wonder if this excuse works the workplace too..." Well, if the building doesn't have adequate ventilation and levels of lighting then it can't be fit for purpose. Send in the health inspectors, if it doesn't pass muster then condemn it and close it, and then arrest St Jules seeing as the building no longer has any diplomatic protection. If it passes, than as you were.

Bronze badge
Thumb Up

Re: And I guess Ecuador has just the right amount of sunshine he needs

I understand that Swedish healthcare is among the best in the EU, along with the CJS. Relax Jules, this won't hurt a bit.

Anonymous Coward

medical care

if he needs medical care, he should get it.

Karolinska has a good reputation, i've heard ..

Anonymous Coward

Ronnie Biggs Lite

Ah the poor little lamb has a nasty cough.

Got no time for this waste of oxygen and if it's too cold and dark in London then he should've got on the plane to Sweden and faced trial while the sun was still out.

Windows. Open them.

I've passed this building.

It has windows.

He could open one and lean out.

Sunshine? He's in the UK, not bloody Australia.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Windows. Open them.

or let someone donate some money to build a balcony for him.

Any way, considering how much free time he has, you'd think that he will sit by the window and read a book!

Gold badge

They upgraded to Windows 8, and we *know* those panes don't work..

Silver badge
Black Helicopters

He can't lean out because then he would enter UK territory and could be arrested, presumably with the aid of a cherry picker truck or black helicopter.

Gold badge

Cherry picker truck

Why a cherry picker truck? I though they needed all of him in Sweden?

Oh, wait..

Trollface

Well to be fair to the little twerp... the human body does need sunlight, even convicted murderers get yard time.

Gimp

As far as I'm concerned, it couldn't have happened to a more bizarre guy.

Bronze badge
Thumb Down

Though unlike convicted murderers

Mr. Assange is free to leave his self imposed prison any time he likes.

Anonymous Coward

facing time.

He's lucky right now.

Otherwise, going to Sweden he could face the prospect of being locked up in a room for 23 hours a day without access to fresh air or natural light... Oh, hang on a minute.

So, he's basically "doing time" already, out of his own choice.

Black Helicopters

Confined Space

"A lack of sunshine and living "in a confined space" has given Assange a chronic lung infection, apparently."

They got Lead/Arsenic in their paint over at 3 Hans Crescent London as Her Majesty seem to have plenty of people in confined spaces receiving limited sunlight who do not get Lung Infections.

The only resident I heard who suffered from these symptoms in a confined place was Napoleon & he had access to plenty of Sunlight etc on Saint Helena.

Send in the crack Painting & Decorating "Assangination" Squad

Black Helicopters

Methinks he hasn't properly thought this through...

Does he really want to swap a pleasant enough life sipping tea with the likes of Lady Gaga and MIA in his nice flat in Knightsbridge, even with bronchitis and perhaps a touch of rickets, for a rather hectic last few days darting around Ecuador dodging unseen Yank's bandito's pot-shots?

I know the London winter can be trying but suicide? Someone get the chap a SAD lamp!

Silver badge
Joke

Are the Ecuadorans planning on smuggling him out?

"We regret to announce that Mr Lasagne passed away from an unfortunate wasting disease of the lungs. He expressed a wish to be buried in his adopted country. Please stand aside to allow the coffin to pass."

Anonymous Coward

Re: Are the Ecuadorans planning on smuggling him out?

In the interest of Health & Safety I think it would be proper to insist the aforementioned coffin is air tight..

Coffee/keyboard

That caught me off guard!

Silver badge

Maybe they could appoint him as the cultural attache, and he could then claim diplomatic immunity on his way out. That should cause the twerps of our government to splutter in indignation.

Silver badge
FAIL

Re: Re: Are the Ecuadorans planning on smuggling him out?

"Maybe they could appoint him as the cultural attache...." Ledswinger, do you have the attention span of a goldfish or just run a year behind everyone else? As has been pointed out on these forums numerous times, HMG would have to accept his appointment as a member of diplomatic staff, he can't just be imposed. They also can't just make him a member of a diplomatic mission to another country, e.g., make him Cultural Attache to Venzuela, as that does not give him any protection in England which he wuld need to travel out of the country.

Silver badge

Well, evidently I haven't been paying the close attention that you have. That suggests that you either have plenty of time on your hands, or you attach great importance to trivia such as this.

But it's a free world. Except for Assange - maybe he should go on hunger strike in protest at his self imposed confinement, and take himself to the ECHR.

Silver badge
Facepalm

".....evidently I haven't been paying the close attention that you have...." This is my surprised face, honest!

Silver badge
Thumb Down

No, that's your "As usual I've run out of anything useful to say, but due to my poor self esteem I need to have the last word" face.

Silver badge
Happy

Cry more, this is my "honest I do care face". As with the majority of A$$nut groupies, you just hate it when your lack of knowledge and blind faith in St Jules is exposed.

He's not being held prisoner, he's not being prevented from leaving and seeking medical help.

He does however set his own priorities.

Bronze badge
Devil

If ever there was a Poster Child for Birth Control...

...it surely is JA.

Working on a retroactive spray form right now in the lab. Just need someone to test it on. Hmmm. "Oh Julian...would you mind leaning out the window just a little further please?"

Anonymous Coward

Smells like bullshit.

As others have said, the building has windows, which, occasionally (including today) give access to sunlight.

Silver badge

I wonder if it's really embassy code for...

'He eats all our food,

he drinks all our wine,

he's always having friends round for tea...

... isn't there some way we can get him out of here?'

Anonymous Coward

Not quite right, sunlight isn't what the body needs. It needs UV light to produce vitamin D and glass filters out UV light.

So unless they leave the windows open (not much chance of that in this weather), he will be missing out on vitamin D.

Silver badge
FAIL

Er, so he doesn't need sunlight, he needs UV light. Where do you think UV light comes from?

Just because you can only see the visible spectrum does not mean that is all that is in sunlight.

Gold badge

I did sort of predict this - he doesn't exactly have a reputation of being easy to live with..

Vitamin D

Vitamin D is added to margarine, you don't need to go to Ecuador for Vitamin D, a trip to the local supermarket by one of the embassy lackeys will soon solve the problem.

@ Tom 38

I always thought glass filtered out the majority of UV. I'm not 100% on that though, so I won't go so far as to say fail on you.

Silver badge
Joke

Re: Simon Harris

and he won't leave the poor cleaning lady alone!

Bronze badge

I believe he has the unfortunate habit of eating all of the condoms. ;->

FAIL

Re: Vitamin D

Don't know about the UK, but in the US Vitamin D is added to almost all milk sold in the various retail outlets...

Are they charging him for the food and beverages he consumes? If not they should be, and if he can't pay for it, then show him the door to the sidewalk. If he can afford to have Lady Gaga and other stars in to visit, he should be paying for their victuals as well...

After all, he is a failure... at life.

Bronze badge

He has been looking a little pasty recently. Maybe at Christmas he could come out and have a game of football with the policemen guarding the Embassy. You know, just like in the trenches.

Silver badge

He has been looking a little pasty recently.

Read: since his first ever public appearance.

Silver badge
Coat

'living "in a confined space" has given Assange a chronic lung infection, apparently.'

So, presumably, he's a different sort of hacker now.

... mine's the one with the Strepsils in the pocket.

Devil

Re: 'living "in a confined space" has given Assange a chronic lung infection, apparently.'

@Simon Harris

Decent joke (thumbed up), but Saint Julian is no hacker. He is a poser. Strepsis cannot cure that.

FAIL

Government has agreed to let him get medical treatment, but they should say "tough".

You broke our law by hiding in an embassy.

You hid in a building which perhaps doesn't have all the mod-cons like fresh air (but yeah, it's got bloody windows though), and even the ability to leave your domicile.

Who knows whether he's guilty or not, but so far, Sweden has never been fingered as a malicious or unfair country. And if anything, I would expect them to protect him more than the UK.

Jeez - just leave the embassy, get on the plane, and sort this out.

Sweden...

...is even colder & darker than the UK at this time of year. His condition would worsen, requiring his immediate removal to somewhere hot & sunny, perhaps a Caribbean island resort.

Joke

Re: Sweden...

I hear the Guantanamo Bay resort is sunny and warm.

Silver badge
Alert

"Government has agreed to let him get medical treatment, but they should say "tough"."

No: We can't stop a doctor visiting an embassy of another country.

That said: He can cry me a fscking river, for all I care. I just hope the little twerp doesn't actually die and give the conspiracy loons more to bray about.

Trollface

Re: Gitmo

Oh yeah, now that sounds like just the vacation he needs!

Silver badge
Devil

Re: Psyx

"....conspiracy loons...." Shush! Stop ruining my fun, I was just about to suggest to them they should check his keffiyah for polonium.....

Bronze badge

Re: Sweden...

" perhaps a Caribbean island resort."

I'm sure that Jamaica would be perfectly happy to park him in Horizon Adult Remand Centre, Kingston, Jamaica. For a small fee. He'll get lots of fresh air, and none of that health-sapping air conditioning, and, given the way that it has about 50% more inmates than it was designed for, he'll meet all kinds of new friends. And if he gets a cell on the top floor he'll even have a nice view of Kingston harbour. <http://wikimapia.org/#lat=17.9827334&lon=-76.8092823&z=18&l=0&m=b&v=8>

And the oil refinery. And the city sewerage works. That should clear up that nasty cough.

FAIL

"...could get worse at any moment...."

So this would put him on a par with the rest of the 7 billion people on the planet then who occasionally fall ill and "get worse".

I wish people wold stop giving a toss and commenting. Oh wait...

Anonymous Coward

Re: Peek a Boo

Perhaps he'd feel better by trying to emulate the daily regime of Bradley Manning by playing a spot of peek a boo and going a bit mad after a being striped naked and mentally tortured by Lady GaGa.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.