back to article Google tools gaffe let ZOMBIE web admins feast on websites

Google potentially allowed former web admins to drive corporate websites off a cliff by resurrecting deleted accounts for its webmaster tools service. Google Webmaster Tools accounts can be used by anyone to manage their websites, from checking the indexing of pages to fine-tuning their visibility in the dominant search engine …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Zaphod.Beeblebrox
    Joke

Google is always so careful with our data

I'm stunned this happened, stunned I say!

2. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

what does deleted mean?

If you just set a flag, it's not deleted.

1. Steve Knox
      Mushroom

Re: what does deleted mean?

Decades of being wheedled by incompetent users have convinced most developers to ensure that the "delete" button doesn't actually delete anything.

We've been conditioned to retain but flag because when the inevitable request to restore the data comes, it doesn't matter to the user that they clicked OK on the giant flashing "WARNING THIS WILL DELETE THIS INFORMATION WITH NO HOPE OF RECOVERY. CLICK OK ONLY IF YOU REALLY REALLY MEAN IT" message. As far as they're concerned, if the data can't be restored, it's our fault.

1. Stevie

Or possibly they are following old-school Unix sysadmin practice, like disabling accounts for ex-members of staff instead of getting rid of them. Not sure why we need all those old /etc/passwd entries from accounts defunct ten years or more ago, but then, I only do Unix part-time.

1. Tom 13

No, you had it right on the first post. Too damn many users want data recoverable no matter what prior authorization they've given you to delete it.

Some years back when I was working a different help desk, one of the decision makers came to our sys admins with a backup of a single app from a server that was 6 years decommissioned, wiped, and thrown in the trash. They wanted to know if it could be restored because the data on it would help them bid a proposal we just received. By some miracle one of the sys admins was able to restore the data and allow the decision maker access to the data. (Not sure whether or not we won the bid.) This person at least acknowledged IT had been authorized to do away with the server and all its data. Too often its expected that you can restore it regardless of circumstances.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

OH!! NOES!!

THEY ACCESSED GOOGLE ANALYTICS!!!

NOW THEY KNOW HOW MANY HITS WE GET!!!

RUN AROUND IN CIRCLES!!!!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

CAN!! YOU!! READ??

"Things like disavow link lists, de-index urls or the entire site, redirect urls, geolocation alterations… a whole world of pain."

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: CAN!! YOU!! READ??

Yes, that bit's bad, you're right. And they do that through Google Analytics, do they?

It was a joke. If you can't make jokes about Google Analytics on the reg forums, then I don't kn- you can't? Right, I'll be off then

4. Gene Cash Silver badge
    Coat

"put in a query to Google"

I do that all the time!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like