As delegates prepare for the intolerable privation of a five-star junket in Dubai to debate re-framing the decades-old International Telecommunications Regulations (ITRs), a leaked management briefing from September warns that chaos may reign if the talks don’t reach a consensus outcome. The document (at WCIT Leaks, here (PDF)) …
Probably the posts here will devolve into another America the world policeman/bully diatribe (somewhat earned of course) but honestly with the other side being Africa, Russia and the Arab states that is a very tough team to cheer for as well. Where's the white knight?
Well, the analysis is quite interesting - especially "Items where there is divergence between Africa/Arab/RCC versus Asia/Europe." The ITU claims that the disagreement is about the flow of funds only - but innocent little items like "Make certain ITU-T Recommendations binding", "Use of terms such as “shall ensure” versus “should encourage”" and "New provision on transparency of routing" are about control, pure and simple. Let's hope for a median outcome.
- Breaking Fad 4K-ing excellent TV is on its way ... in its own sweet time, natch
- Was Earth once covered in HELLFIRE? No – more like a wet Sunday night in Iceland
- First Irish boy band U2. Now Apple pushes ANOTHER thing into iPhones, iPods, iPads
- Hate Facebook? Hate it enough to spend $9k fleeing it? Web 'country club' built for the rich
- Hey, Scots. Microsoft's Bing thinks you'll vote NO to independence