back to article Take-Two praises release breaks for Grand Theft Auto's healthy figure

Some 125 million copies of Grand Theft Auto games have shipped since the series' introduction, publisher Take-Two Interactive has claimed. While it would be easy to celebrate that such figures means GTA easily challenges Tetris for fifth place in the world best-selling franchise table - behind Mario, Pokemon, Wii Sports/Play/Fit …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

This post has been deleted by its author

Silver badge
Paris Hilton

The difference

The CoD franchise has effectively been a level expansion pack for some time, and very little replay value. The online multiplayer element is (largely) the same from game to game. They release a game pretty much annually.

GTA on the other hand, bases itself around an open world which in itself you'd take several weeks to get bored of. GTA is pretty much a release of multiple stories, with a vast new city each time. They also don't churn out a slightly rehashed version each year.

Saying this as someone who'll buy every installment of both series. But as an occasional gamer CoD I'll be done with in a month, GTA will last me at least 6.

Unhappy

Quality not Quantity

When will people ever learn this for any creative medium.

Sorry i forgot when games do not sell it is nothing to do with being cliched, repetitive, derivative crap its because of piracy

Meh

Why are Wii Sports/Play/Fit allowed to be counted as one, or is it that they have each sold the same as each other and are jointly holding third spot?

(Written by Reg staff)

Yeah it does seem unfair imo, but wikispeaks. The "Wii" games are a franchise in their own right, apparently.

Personally, I think the fact Tetris numbers are made up of its appearance on calculators is a bit unfair in the first place anyway.

Silver badge

not only them

Don't forget cell phones.

Silver badge
Childcatcher

GTA4 rocked, as did GTA3. By comparison, the Call Of Duty games really are asinine in their game play.

I still recall the first time I played a CoD game. I nearly ran out of ammo trying to clear all the enemies from the rooftops, windows and balconies so that my squad could traverse the street unmolested until I realised that the idiotic game had infinitely respawning enemies and that the "correct" way to progress is to run as fast as you can while dodging bullets until you get to the next capture point so the enemies stop spawning.

Once you figure that out you can finish the game in an afternoon. There is no incentive to use proper tactics at all.

Extremely stupid, and so typical of the dumbed down crap that is popular these days.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums