Data centre openings have become a dime a dozen of late, nearly always featuring (here in Australia at least) a suit from the operator talking up the new facility’s power usage effectiveness (PUE) rating as a compelling reason to move your kit within its walls. PUE measures the amount of energy that goes into the building and …
PUE can be less than 1
There's plenty of room to improve PUE more. Iceotope, a new technology company based in Sheffield, is offering liquid cooled kit which means that the heat is extracted without active cooling and, as you get to drop the fans from each blade, the PUE is (at least in one interpretation of that number) ends up being less than 1.
Re: PUE can be less than 1
PUE less than 1?
Why, you could sell power back to the grid!!
The term PUE I'm afraid is thrown about with the Uptime scam / cartel's tier ratings, that is, handy to talk to CEO's and PHB's over golf, but actually useless unless the measurements are quantified.
- Review Xperia Z3: Crikey, Sony – ANOTHER flagship phondleslab?
- Pics Whisper tracks its users. So we tracked down its LA office. This is what happened next
- Human spacecraft dodge COMET CHUNKS pelting off Mars
- Ex-US Navy fighter pilot MIT prof: Drones beat humans - I should know
- Downrange Are you a gun owner? Let us in OR ELSE, say Blighty's top cops