back to article DNS servers filled with wrong Kool-Aid, big names waylaid in Romania

A hacker today redirected web surfers looking for Yahoo, Microsoft or Google to a page showing a TV test card by apparently poisoning Google's public DNS system. Punters and organisations relying on Google's free service were affected, rather than the websites themselves being compromised. Visitors to yahoo.ro, microsoft.ro …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Zaphod.Beeblebrox
    Facepalm

Google's free DNS service

Does anyone actually use it? Really? Given how they slurp data using every other service they offer, I'd have thought nobody would trust them with their DNS but perhaps I'm wrong.

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: Google's free DNS service

used it a few times to diagnose local DNS caching issues...

1. Charles 9

And I have to use it every so often when the local DNS doesn't update often enough and some lesser-known websites I frequent "drop out" as a result.

2. PyLETS

Used it temporarily and experimentally because it's IPV6 accessible at 2001:4860:4860::8888 and at 2001:4860:4860::8844 . So it enables a IPV6 only machine to resolve IPV6 only servers.

Probably more secure to setup and use your own DNS resolver, but it's another service to operate and maintain.

3. Goat Jam
      Black Helicopters

I use it because my ISP does that stupid DNS hi-jacking nonsense, as does so-called "opendns".

Considering that I also browse while logged in with a google id I'm struggling to see how using their dns server allows them to intrude on my privacy any more than they already do.

If you can enlighten me than that would be great.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Thanks

Thanks for that last line of the article.

R. C. Jones

3. TeeCee Gold badge
    Coat

Pakistan.

So the previous Pakistani problem was that someone pissed on their PKNIC?

Made my day.......

4. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

Nice one.

5. Paul Renault

DNS servers filled with Kool-Aid?

Weren't they supposed to use Fluorinert?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cray-2

1. Charles 9

Re: DNS servers filled with Kool-Aid?

Wasn't that stuff phased out because it was a fluorocarbon (aka an Ozone eater)?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like