Software-defined networking (SDN), the concept that's so hot VMware spent $US1.05 billion buying market leader Nicira, is on the way to becoming a standard for telecommunications networks. SDN is the networking world’s equivalent of server virtualisation. The latter made it possible to treat a single physical server as several …
These stnadards already exist - more or less - in the form of things like Openflow and 802.1Qbg. Important to note that the extand SDN standards are IEEE, of course, not ITU. Strikes me as sour grapes from those whose patents didn't make it into the "standards" for SDN.
ROTM icon because I feel it is underused, and we don't have a whaaaaambulance.
Re: SDN Standards
I agree. As I read it, I wondered why AT&T (or whatever company owns the remnants of their 5ESS business) were not listed as participants.
- Top Gear Tigers and Bingo Boilers: Farewell then, Phones4U
- Breaking Fad 4K-ing excellent TV is on its way ... in its own sweet time, natch
- First Irish boy band U2. Now Apple pushes ANOTHER thing into iPhones, iPods, iPads
- Updated iOS 8 Healthkit gets a bug SO Apple KILLS it. That's real healthcare!
- Stephen Pie iPhone 6: Most exquisite MOBILE? NO, it's the Most Exquisite THING. EVER