Feeds

back to article Samsung Google Nexus 10 tablet review

Why would you buy a tablet other than an iPad? Obviously, some don’t care for Apple’s locked-in system and others like the way users can dig more deeply into the workings of Android. Good enough reasons, sure, but the truth is that until the day dawns when a tablet is of comparable specification, but substantially cheaper than …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Anonymous Coward

They may nibble at specs against the iPad but the fact is iOS is the killer feature for most people - easy to use - consistent across devices, more secure, easier to deploy for corporates etc. Then the App Store - far more genuine tablet applications and the typical quality is far higher. Lastly service and support - well Apple wins hands down unless Samsung have their own stores etc. - my Samsung developed a fault and would reboot over and over = no phone for 3 weeks. To compare I dropped my iPhone - the camera slightly dislodged - went into an Apple Store - left it with them - 20 minutes later fixed phone. Until you have experienced it there is no comparison.

Anonymous Coward

Incidentally I ended up buying an iPhone BECAUSE Samsung were going to have it for 3 weeks and I can't be without a phone for that long. You have to factor in that phones do break (like anything else) but it's how they deal with it that is the issue. Another friend took his ageing 3GS in with a small crack on the plastic back - they just replaced it - free.

Anonymous Coward

Plus only a few quid more to buy over the Samsung and once you're finished with it you'll be able to sell it on for more than you would get for the Samsung.

I think I prefer Android to iOS, but your points in relation to the maturity of the app store and the usefulness of shops are good ones. The screen aspect ratio is another question of personal preference.

There's no mention of it in the article, but I've found (on my Nexus 7) that Chrome sucks as a browser. Boat and Dolphin are much quicker, and this really shows on the Nexus 10. Sunspider score with Boat is quicker than the iPad4, but waay worse when using Chrome. This agrees with my subjective experience of using the browsers. Chrome is unresponsive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKuYoyo-pH8

"iOS is the killer feature for most people"

For this little black duck iOS definitely kills my desire for an iphone/ipad. As the article starts out with, I don't like the Apple lock in, and I like being able to customise my own device. I also like the way that Android is developing new features rapidly, ios is little different from from it was when it started.

But plenty like iOS obviously and that's cool if that floats your boat.

"consistent across devices"

As is Android - I have exactly the same ROM on my tablet as I do on my phone. The home screen/launcher is higher resolution to take advantage of the bigger tablet screen, works exactly the same, just with more space for widgets etc.

"To compare I dropped my iPhone - the camera slightly dislodged - went into an Apple Store - left it with them - 20 minutes later fixed phone."

In Australia (Brisbane) you have to make an appointment a week in advance and drive 20kms put of the CBD to "go into an Apple Store". If you just turn up they turn you away and tell you to call and make an appointment...

Only had 1 fault out of three Samsung devices since I got rid of the iphone, but I could at least take it to the store I bought it from to get it looked at. They replaced the phone on the spot with a new one (though I'm sure that may not always the case).

Of course the best warranty is one you never have to use!

Anonymous Coward

@Tybalt

One thing that IOS users don't have is the Choice, any other browser you use IIRC is using the same rendering engine as the IOS browser.. so you gain little by switching..

Anonymous Coward

I always get my phone on a contract with my network provider, which basically makes them responsible for it.. yes I've had to return a phone once, but it took 3 days not 3 weeks for the repair.

I know my current mobile provider has worse service than my last, but I traded off customer service for speed...

Re: @Tybalt

This is true, but of course the rendering engine on iPad Safari doesn't suck. So there is less motivation to switch in the first place.

Anonymous Coward

Why the downvotes?

Original post is absolutely true of "most people" (not techie commentards). Went tablet-shopping with Mrs this week and tried to stay in the background as she made her decision.

I thought she'd compare Nexus 7 and iPad mini and end up stumping up the extra for the iPad due to the "it just works" philosophy. In the end she opted for a Galaxy Tab2 10.1 which is now available for less than £200.

Despite us not having a single Apple device in the house, I'd certainly agree with the OP's points - with Apple you pay premium prices and get premium service. But we're plebs so we pay pleb prices and put up with pleb service... you pays your money and you takes your choice!

This post has been deleted by its author

Unhappy

are you sure?

tell that to people who purchased the ipad 3 and are now looking at a depreciation of about 30% on average after 6 months

"iOS is the killer feature for most people "

I nearly went Apple at one point, until I realised I'd have to use iTunes for EVeRYTHING. That truly killed it for me.

Silver badge
FAIL

"consistent across devices" - So long as all your devices are Apple ones

"more secure" - Really?

"easier to deploy for corporates" - Huh? No it's not.

"etc." - Well that totally seals it for me! I'll happily pay more for something with lower specs that has an extra 'etc'!

Bronze badge

Re: Why the downvotes?

absolutely true of "most people"

And your basis of that fact is?

Silver badge

iPADS are killers eh? Tell that to my 5 year old who cant go to zooble world or FRIV on an ipad. She can on her 79.99 10.1 chinapad though.

Anonymous Coward

""consistent across devices" - So long as all your devices are Apple ones"

Well, yes. I think that's the point being made. The user experience across the various Android OEM's is different. Not necessarily a bad thing, Samsung is consistent with Samsung et c.

""more secure" - Really?" It seems that way. Incidents of malware reported are significantly higher on Android than on un-jailbroke iOS devices. Just saying "Really?" doesn't change this.

""easier to deploy for corporates" - Huh? No it's not." Would you like to elaborate?

iOS is very difficult to manage in a corporate environment in my opinion.

The thing is, IOS doesn't just work. It's a pain in the neck to do anything simple with it that doesn't involve Itunes. Want to transfer a file to your iPad? You can't just hook the device up and transfer it as you would to a USB stick with IOS; you've got to go through Itunes. With Android devices, it's easy; you plug it in and then select "Mount file system" on the device. And it isn't just techies that can plug in a USB stick and expect it to work.

I don't have experience of this tablet, but my wife has an iPad 3, and I've found that the keyboard on it wasn't amazingly responsive; it was sluggish. Not as sluggish as that on my Orange San Francisco (which cost me about £100 two years ago), but it was still sluggish. What was I doing? Something processor-intensive? Well, yes, if you consider entering a search term on the Safari browser to be intensive.

Somehow, I expected more.

I'm not saying it's all bad, but it's FAR from all good. If this had been around at the time my wife got the iPad, I think she would have got this instead.

Mushroom

"easier to deploy for corporates"...bwahh bwahh, try asking HMRC that one!, I nearly burst a blood vessel laughing my head off!

Anonymous Coward

"The thing is, IOS doesn't just work.", I'm assuming you mean "The thing is, IOS just doesn't work."

The thing is, it does work, and that's why the iOS devices still achieve customer satisfaction levels that other manufactures just can't match.

It's also difficult to understand the iTunes hate. Posters are complaining that in order to move a movie onto an iPad you have to go through iTunes, rather than just "drag and drop" onto the device. But to put a movie onto an iPad, you just drag and drop from windows into itunes, sync, done deal. There's no difference in the transfer procedure.

Anyway, I'm off to advise JD Power that they need to start polling The Reg readers when undertaking surveys, as their results are clearly skewed! According to http://www.jdpower.com/content/press-release/1hzUPsP/2012-u-s-tablet-satisfaction-study.htm the iPad is top of the satisfaction table, while Samsung devices are below the industry average! Looking at the downvotes here for any post that even whiffs of iPad love, JD Power has some explaining to do!

Let the downvotes begin :)

Silver badge
Holmes

"Well, yes. I think that's the point being made. The user experience across the various Android OEM's is different. Not necessarily a bad thing, Samsung is consistent with Samsung et c."

It is if you pick the right devices, from the same manufacturer, giving the Android devices the same home-field advantage as Apple.

Not that it's a very valid point, still. Unless we are some kind of morons, it's not exactly frikkin' rocket science to figure out ho two GUIs work, is it? Or is that the selling point: Apple is great if you are sufficiently stupid that you can't figure out where the sodding buttons are are two different screens?

"It seems that way. Incidents of malware reported are significantly higher on Android than on un-jailbroke iOS devices. Just saying "Really?" doesn't change this."

Saying 'it just seems that way' doesn't, either! But then: Look at market share. Not only is that an influence, it influences what malware is built for. That doesn't make Android less secure: It makes it a more rewarding target. And if you go to the kind of business meetings where you are expected to not just turn your phone off but take the batteries out, then iProducts aren't great, either.

But if security really counts that much for you: Go Blackberry.

"Would you like to elaborate?" - Yeah. People I know who have to still deal with crap like this come into the pub on a weekly basis wailing "some senior manager wants his goddamn iPad hooked up to our network" followed by them downing a couple of pints and moaning. Luckily, I don't have to deal with that any more.

Silver badge

@Davtom was Re: Why the downvotes?

"With Android devices, it's easy; you plug it in and then select "Mount file system" on the device"

Plug it in?

How quaint... I just turn on the FTP server installed on my Nexus 7 and send it over from my desktop! ;o)

(Or open the FTP client and suck it over).

I generally find iOS (and OSX for that matter) over protective and simplistic. Trying to do complicated things is either impossible, or buried. For your general Joe/Jane Bloggs in the street I guess this is great, but unfortunately I'm the guy they then ring up with the terrifying "Hey, Steve, you know about computers and stuff right? Well I have this problem with my iphone"...

I think I'll stick with my 'droid devices.

Having said that, I probably won't be buying an N10. The iOS OS wasn't the only reason I didn't buy an ipad. It's just too damn big! I really don't think I have a use for something like that. The N7 in my pocket is perfect for just that reason. It is in my pocket.

Anonymous Coward

Ohhh, shiny!

"fact is iOS is the killer feature for most people"

Your 'most' is shrinking however. Sure, the mini may help but Apple have experienced a 15% dive in market share during Q3 2012, and long may the trend continue, say I.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/technology/apples-ipad-slips-as-android-tablets-tick-up-in-market-share-for-third-quarter/2012/11/05/2300936e-2743-11e2-b2a0-ae18d6159439_story.html

"To compare I dropped my iPhone..."

I dropped mine too. Then for good measure I drove a herd of cattle over it, just to make sure.

Silver badge
Thumb Down

Without an Apple...

Over here, where there is no Apple bring-in service, if an iPhone breaks, you are without a phone for 2 weeks, while it is sent away for repair by the carrier.

This month, we've had 1 iPhone 4S with a duff battery, one iPhone 4S with unusably weak Wi-Fi and Bluetooth (wi-fi range less than 1M) and 2 dropped Galaxy 3S with broken screens. The 2 iPhone users are without their phones for 2 weeks, having to make do with old Nokia candy bar phones. The carrier brought in 2 replacement Galaxy 3S and swapped them out on the spot, no questions asked.

Silver badge

When I was still using my iPod touch 2G I found I used dropbox a lot for files iTunes didn't like.

Now with the Nexus 7 I can still use dropbox, or a standard USB cable (cheap) or a USB Stick / Drive with a USB2g adaptor and the Nexus Media Importer app (no root required).

And it's not linked to only one computer, no "do you want to wipe out all your stuff" if I plug it into a different computer that happens to have iTunes on it.

And I could remove quicktime (quick? HA!) from my computer.

Flame

Hey Google, what is your problem? I want to buy your Nexus Gear but none have SD card slots

For crying out loud, what is this insanity with preventing users from being able to stick storage cards into these??

Any other Android units, I can get with SD card slots, but I have to suffer from stupid OS overlays.

In the Nexus line, there is NOT ONE device with SD card slot now.

Why do you make decrepit products just to save $ 0.78 on the Bill of Materials?

and as for "IOS ease of use" my 6 year old daughter had absolutely no problem finding her way around a Galaxy Tab the first time she held one.

Bronze badge

Re: you just drag and drop from windows into itunes,

And if you have a machine without windows or osx?

> as their results are clearly skewed!

Or maybe people on here do not reflect your average consumer?

Thumb Down

Sorry but thats complete bollocks...

"Saying 'it just seems that way' doesn't, either! But then: Look at market share. Not only is that an influence, it influences what malware is built for. That doesn't make Android less secure: It makes it a more rewarding target. And if you go to the kind of business meetings where you are expected to not just turn your phone off but take the batteries out, then iProducts aren't great, either."

Apple has had the bigger market share an the richest users for years, and yet they have never had a malware problem like android!

Anonymous Coward

Plastic vs metal - give this and an iPad to an average punter and I bet (despite the price difference) most would pick the iPad. Adding more pixels when the iPad is already 'retina' seems a bit like doing it for the hell of it.

Not really for the hell of it

Apple's retina is 2048x1536 = 1024x768 doubled (original iPad)

Nexus 10 retina is 2560x1600 = 1280x800 doubled (Nexus 7 resolution + fairly common on other Android tablets)

Anonymous Coward

They're going it for the playground arguments or to please the train spotters... I mean spec spotters.

Can't they come up with their own ideas?

Anonymous Coward

Since there's logic to it why can't reviewers mention this?

I actually don't like the metal back of the iPad. Picking it up when it's cold is not a nice experience, and if you've got dry hands it's kind of slippery. And heavy. I've always thought the iPad3 is a bit on the heavy side (since there is not a lot in the weight, I'd probably feel the same about the Nexus 10, but I've never held one). One of the reasons I got a Nexus 7 - much nicer in the hand (IMO).

The difference in pixels is largely down to the aspect ratio, and the fact they've picked a standard resolution WQXGA (2560x1600), a common res. for big screens.

Bronze badge
FAIL

"Adding more pixels when the iPad is already 'retina' seems a bit like doing it for the hell of it."

I think this is known as, "Drinking the Kool Aid so much it just tastes like water now."

Retina is an Apple marketing term and means nothing. It's not a magical PPI which indicates a perfect display. If you think that lower than Retina is bad and higher than Retina is bad then, well, you probably won't understand this reply. I'll leave it here for others to read, though.

Silver badge

Re: AC @ 08:23

The ipad is "retina" because that's what the marketeers decided to call it, nothing more.

Anonymous Coward

Re: "Adding more pixels when the iPad is already 'retina' seems a bit like doing it for the hell of

It is a marketing term, but there's more to it than that. It's supposed to be the resolution limit that the eye can distinguish individual pixels at normal viewing distance. That's probably going to be 12-18 inches for most people using a phone, slightly higher for a tablet. We could do with a better standard term for it, but since people know what it means it's probably good enough for now.

Silver badge
Facepalm

"Can't they come up with their own ideas?" - Seriously? A high resolution display is Apple's idea? GTFO!

Silver badge

"Plastic vs metal - give this and an iPad to an average punter and I bet (despite the price difference) most would pick the iPad."

You can't attribute that to metal, though. It's purely due to consumer hype and advertising.

Bronze badge

Re: A high resolution display is Apple's idea

Wouldn't be surprised if apple tried to lay claim to that. They tried to claim the trend of developing thinner devices is part of what people only expect of Apple when it was mentioned in a UK court the a samsung device was thinner than an ipad.

This post has been deleted by its author

Anonymous Coward

Re: "Adding more pixels when the iPad is already 'retina' seems a bit like doing it for the hell of

Standard laser printers are 600 dots per inch and that gives about as good a result as commercial print. 300 dpi printers are visibly inferior. My guess is that 600 dpi is where LCDs will end up, at a resolution that meets the norm established by the printing industry over the years. On a tablet with a 10 inch diagonal that implies a screen resolution of about 4800 by 3000, or one iteration up on the present level.

The "retina display" fails to take into account that people do look at things closer than "normal viewing distance".

Silver badge
Stop

There's a trade off to be made. More pixels need more GPU power to drive, more bytes to store images etc. Since LCD screens aren't just black or white like a laser printer they tend to look better at lower resolutions, so my bet is that 300 DPI is the practical limit.

Silver badge

What amazes me is that the whole world wasn't sitting there going "Oh my god, those huge square pixels, they hurt my eyes!!!" for all those years before Apple (sorry, Apple's LCD manufacturing suppliers) brought along "retina".

And you know what... A large proportion of the world are still using those huge pixels without screaming in pain or going blind... Weird eh?

Although I'll have to admit I enjoy Apple fans re-arranging their arguments now somebody else has brought an anaconda to the willy-waving competition.

Silver badge

quote: "They're going it for the playground arguments or to please the train spotters... I mean spec spotters.

Can't they come up with their own ideas?"

I know what you're saying, but manufacturers have been iteratively increasing resolution on handheld devices since well before Apple moved in to the handheld market. Samsung is one of those manufacturers who has been highly active in the handheld space prior to Apple (they started in the 80s). So who is it that you believe "owns" the idea of resolution increase, to intimate that Samsung are copying that way?

Also, spec spotting is exactly what techies will do when evaluating purchases in the tech field. I'm not going to buy product A if product B has more grunt for less cost, and like a lot of actual techies I rate function over and above form. "It's prettier" is not a selling point for me, so where else can I look but the spec sheets?

Apple aren't immune from playing the playground argument / spec spotter crowd either. Just look at each press release for every subsequent iPhone or iPad iteration, and you'll see them crowing about how fast (or how much faster) the new product is. The latest iPad was a particular case in point with a "we can't even see them (i.e. the competition) in the rear view mirror" being a particular favourite of mine... what is the actual measured difference in speed between the A6 (1.3GHz dual core) and e.g. a Tegra3 T30 (1.4GHz quad core) that prompted that statement? I don't recall it ever being properly quantified, so I have to assume that it is for a given definition of "them" :)

If Apple's competition also resort to pointless ePeen measuring based purely on specs, and the occasional bit of name calling or slighting, then can you really blame them?

Silver badge

""we can't even see them (i.e. the competition) in the rear view mirror" being a particular favourite of mine"

Maybe that's because you only see things behind you in a rear view... ;-)

Anonymous Coward

I've got to admit to being a bit of a "fandroid" but I do think Apple deserve credit for making the masses aware of the existence of high-resolution displays and to make the masses demand them. Until recently "retina"-style displays were a rare thing to come across and then very, very expensive. And I certainly was someone who has for a long time wished for them to become generally available.

Personally I've gone off Apple when my laptop charger gave up while I was traveling and the urgently needed replacement cost me a mind-boggling EUR 89. Not going back there. But as I said I'm certainly grateful they've popularised high-res displays which are now becoming mainstream.

My main Thank You and my money goes to Google+Samsung though for actually delivering the device I've been waiting for since the iPad 3 came out: An affordable high-res 10" Android tablet.

Now keenly waiting for non-Apple laptops with high-res screens.

Thumb Up

I agree with AC 11:43 - Apple get Kudos for reversing the trend toward lower resolution screens. 10 years ago I could by a laptop with a 1440 x 1050 screen, but recently it is very difficult to buy a laptop with anything other than a 1280 x 768 resolution screen - which is a massive step backwards in terms of usability and the manufacturers refer to them jokingly as HD screens.

With apple introducing higher resolution screens, in phones, tablets and macbooks, and phone manufacturers and Google following suit - I can only hope that laptops will follow soon.

No SD slot . .

No sale.

That is all.

Happy

Re: No SD slot . .

Why do you need an SD slot?

If it's just to hold movies and photos, then let me introduce you to Nexus Media Importer.

Disclaimer - I have no connection - I am merely a happy user of this excellent app.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.