Feeds

back to article Dreamworks open sources animation software

Animation studio Dreamworks has released some of its production animation code under an open source licence. OpenVDB, the software in question, is billed as “an open source sparse volume processing toolkit” and is available under version 2.0 of the Mozilla Public License. The C++ library “comprises a hierarchical data structure …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Anonymous Coward

nice but its not the first

This is simply a way of effectively storing data about a volume, things like density, velocity, colour and other properties like that. These can easily run in to enormous caches of data, terrabytes per frame if stored ineffectively. Its also about making sure that all the rendering software out there can use this data. Its a big benefit to dreamworks if they are able to swap data to other companies too.

Sony did the same i believe with their Field3D, someone correct me if i'm wrong is a similar project...

It seems a bit weird to see this kind of thing reported by so many news sources outside of the VFX circle, some PR department is doing a good job.

Bronze badge

from the description

It just sounds like some kind of octree library. That's hardly a difficult thing to knock together, though maybe there's more to it than it sounds. Hmmm... "animated smoke"... maybe it's just a Perlin noise generator, then...

Anonymous Coward

Re: from the description

Hmmm... why don't you read the code and let us know?

This topic is closed for new posts.