Feeds

back to article BlackBerry 10: AWESOME. If the hardware matches it, RIM jobs are safe

BlackBerry users have a love-hate relationship with their phones. The devices were often forced upon users rather than chosen. At the same time, the handhelds were the most usable and useful communications gadgets you could put in your pocket. Yes, there are things a BlackBerry can't do very well or at all. But it is capable of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Anonymous Coward

So, Andrew

You gonna swap your wipho for this then?

(Written by Reg staff) Bronze badge

Re: So, Andrew

I'm living off loans and antiques right now. WinPho for the last month...

This UI and the Lumia 920 would be a nice combo. I'd settle for that.

Anonymous Coward

Re: So, Andrew

> This UI and the Lumia 920 would be a nice combo. I'd settle for that.

It's called N9

Silver badge
Alert

It would be the greatest comeback since Lazarus

RIP Sid Waddell.

Bronze badge

Can't help wondering

If Nokia & BB would have made a better smartphone pairing than Nokia & MS.

-

What would it take to buy RIM now?

Bronze badge

Re: What would it take to buy RIM now?

Probably quite alot - QNX is used in quite a bit of actual useful things the world over. (But that stuff isn't usually shiny and finger print coated).

Silver badge
Happy

Looks good.

Android, Apple and Blackberry. Plenty of competition there.

Oh and that other one. Never mind.

Bronze badge
Mushroom

Re: Looks good.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but Rim became 'the other one' during November when WP sales over took them....

email without BB services

Will it allow me to collect email without BB services (IMAP, POP, hotmail etc)? The £5.month BB services tax has always been the biggest offputter for me as a home user, meaning I've stuck with Nokia QWERTY phones.

Happy

Re: email without BB services

There have always been standalone email clientes for the Blackberry much like K9 on Android. Of course BB10 is not out yet, but I can tell you from my Playbook (already running QNX) I have email without needing a Blackberry phone or monthly data plan.

Anonymous Coward

The Blackberry email service is basically the only reason you would but a Blackberry - so if you were going to use a standard POP3 / IMAP client you may as well any (other) smartphone instead.

Bronze badge
Mushroom

Do you have BBM without the £5 Blackberry tax though? That's the only reason most people buy a Blackberry these days. Well that and as corporate devices - but that's a dead market for RIM now - Microsoft and BYOD will clean up there.

Meh

You could go with T-mobile and get BB service for £3.33 a month if you pay £20 for 6 months upfront.

Silver badge

Well the early BBs

The early BBs were actually nice phones with monochome screens and QWERTY keyboards. It would have made great sense to have IMAP on those, but it wasn't possible.

For me that service is the big put off. I don't want my e-mail to go through unencrypted through a server standing somewhere neither the sender nor the receiver can control. The rare cases that already happens with regular e-mail are already enough.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Well the early BBs

" I don't want my e-mail to go through unencrypted through a server"

Errrm...you do know that Blackberry's are the most secure devices on the market? Certain countries (Looking at you India,) have threatened to ban the devices because of the high level of Encryption and RIM won't hand out the encryption keys to the local authorities.

Bronze badge
Mushroom

Re: Well the early BBs

Only if you have your own BES server. Otherwise Blackberry DO give out keys on valid request....

Megaphone

IF the hardware is like the Bold 9900...

The Bold 9900 is the best feeling handset out there IMHO. Thin, light, and exceptionally well-built. Give us something that looks like a 9900 with the right touchscreen, and THAT interface...Blackberry, are you listening?!?!?

Holmes

Re: IF the hardware is like the Bold 9900...

Besides a full touch, there will be a full BB10 QWERTY phone announced in January 30. So BB is listening ;-)

Meh

"But phones sell on the user interface"

Not any more. They mainly sell on contract price of course, but nowadays cool-ness is a factor.

And BB is about as cool as your dads work-tie collection.

Like i saw someone tweet this week "Apple's "slack off while on the bog" campaign is far better than BB's "Work, work, work, die" one."

Bronze badge

Whose generation

BB was the platform of choice for kids until very, very recently if it has indeed yet been overtaken.

Anonymous Coward

Re: "But phones sell on the user interface"

From what I can see, coolness is also based on peer pressure and critical features. BlackBerries may not be cool to fogeys like me (been there, done that, moved on) but to my kids BBM is the holy grail of phone functionality.

If this OS is as good as it sounds there's no reason why today's BB users won't become adult BlackBerry fanbois.

('BlackBerry fanbois' as 'RIM fanbois' just sounds wrong).

Flame

Re: Whose generation

Kids? They'll use any brand as long as it'll text and work social networks.

You probably haven't seen the "boy meeting girl in bar" BB ad and other latest http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzPPOCHMaZI&playnext=1&list=PL6301D83540D8BAEE&feature=results_main

The iPhone and iOS are the oldest dogs around... they're not cool anymore. Right now Samsung and others are far cooler.

My 18 year old asked for a BB (sitting in the cupboard). She hates my iPhone, and isn't overly keen on her older sisters android. If RIM can pull off good hardware with a good UI coupled with a decent ad campaign, then there is hope for them yet.

Happy

Not sure us on this forum are a good judge of coolness...

I come in contact with lots of young people through coaching ice hockey and the phone of choice among them is indeed the Blackberry... may not be "cool" with execs these days but it's "sick" according to the rising generation.

MrT
Bronze badge

BlackBerry fanbois...

... still a bit of a mouthful though - how about "Bramblers"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bramble

Oh I agree

But I'm not at all convinced that iOS is 'cool' (and nor for that matter is an old version of Android running on some generic-underpowered PoS hardware).

I for one am hoping utilitarian makes a come-back. Those decade old Nokias 6310s we still have lurking in the corners of the office, the ones that have unbeatable sound-quality, never broke and have a battery that lasts a week. I don't want one, but they have a special place in my heart.

Even the users of iphones don't really seem to feel any attachment to theirs - every couple of years they'll wave around the new one they upgraded to, so an increasingly dimming sound of adulation. I mean this year "Oh, is that the new one?". "Oh, that's nice, it's widescreen finally, I see"

I ooohed much more over the Lumia casing and the stylus on a Note.

Looking at the BBX interface, the two apps on the same screen thing - that deserves an oooh.

Just can't help but think once the mystique has gone from iphone, it'll have lost something. Does anybody really ooh over somebody pulling out an iphone as their corporate phone? You'd consider that a benefit in helping you decide whether to switch to another employer?

Bronze badge
Mushroom

Re: Whose generation

"BB was the platform of choice for kids" ^ that couldn't afford a smartphone.

Correction added for you.

Bronze badge
Mushroom

There really isn't hope. Market interest in BB10 is 4%, versus 22% for WP - http://www.mobilemag.com/2012/11/09/windows-phone8-and-iphone-interest-tied/

One-trick pony

What you're saying is that RIM still makes a good phone. That's not good enough. The big three have gone way beyond that in computers, chromebooks, laptops, phones, tablets, clouds.

Heins has proclaimed BB10 will be on Playbook (anyone remember Playbook) after it's on phones.

After? Christmas 2013? What does 'after' mean to Heins' precision Teutonic mind? That's strangely vague language coming from someone who likes to nail down dates, and the Crackberry site is awash with rumour about what it all means.

RIM is always going to be a peripheral maker, and becoming more so in time.

Happy

Re: One-trick pony

BB10/QNX is on just about any car in the USA. You have no clue whatsover. Also I have a Playbook and it'll upgrade to BB10 seamlessly. How's the rest of the tablets regarding getting a new major OS? You'd better start saving for the next iPad...

Silver badge

Re: What you're saying is that RIM still makes a good phone.

Did we just read the same article? The one I read was about BB 10 the OS, didn't really mention the device it runs on....

Silver badge

IIRC, my last update was a notification. "There is new firmware available, you want?"

I said "yes please". Did the same thing for a minor update a few days ago.

Asus do make nice tablet-tops.

It's a stretch to say QNX runs on cars and conflate that with BB10.

"I have a Playbook...seamlessly."

When? Don't say "after the phones". That's almost meaningless.

I guess you read a different article from this one:

"Opinion BlackBerry users have a love-hate relationship with their phones. The devices were often forced upon users rather than chosen. At the same time, the handhelds were the most usable and useful communications gadgets you could put in your pocket."

Most of the story is about phones. And I'm saying RIM is a phone-maker. Granted. And RIM won't go much further than that.

I think you're addressing another article, or comment.

Silver badge

Oh right, you read the first paragraph and then posted. All the words after that bit you posted are about BB10.

You are right about RIM making phones though. Well done. No really, well done.

And then the final 3 paragraphs of the article includes BB10 in the mix. I'm likewise addressing both. I'm not constrained to calculate how much of an article (and of course I read the article) includes what, and then precisely match a comment proportionately.

Honestly, some of these BB/RIM posters make iZombies almost look intelligent

Bronze badge
WTF?

ARe you suggesting that iOS devices aren't upgradeable to newer OS releases? Have you been following events at all?

Anonymous Coward

I think you are thinking of Microsoft?

http://www.automoblog.net/2012/11/06/fordmicrosoft-sync-technology-connects-five-millionth-vehicle/

I've got a playbook thanks, bought three one for me and two as Christmas presents.

FAIL

You seem to be falling into the trap that many others are doing, This statement is simply not true. Lots of QNX in embedded applications (also a lot of Linux and VxWorks too FWIW).

Whilst BB10 might be build with QNX at its core, you definitely not assume that devices using QNX have anything of the extra stuff that BB10 brings to the party, or that there is suddenly any kind of interoperability.

Your assertion is about as useful as saying that because Android is based on a Linux kernel, a Linux server must therefore have similarities or capabilities of Android.

Anonymous Coward

oh wow.

I never thought I'd say this but it looks pretty good.

TWO app at the same time without pressing HOME then clicking on the app icon HOPING that it didn't close?

Shoot. I mean, it doesn't sound that impressive but man... they've read my mind. That and also work and home profile feature looks good. I always use that kind of feature, particularly on my browser bookmarks.

For me though, the looks is also important. Their BB7 touch just didn't appeal to me. If the new phone looks anything like the leaked shots... well they look pretty nice too.

Anonymous Coward

Why can't your Windows mobes do this?

Going on how this industry is, it's probably patented.

Silver badge

Wonder if I will be able to upgrade mid-contract.

@james 51

Of course you will be able to upgrade. As long as you pay the full price. But don't blame that on RIM - blame that on the carrier. And yourself, for signing an x-year contract with an early termination fee.

I know; sounds harsh. But this will happen over and over unless more people start complaining / haggling about it.

I, For one, will welcome my new blackberry. I'm holding off until the qwerty one has been released.

I'm also hoping that in the US Verizon will carry both, instead having to switch... Bastards.

This post has been deleted by a moderator

Anonymous Coward

Re: Virtuous competition

They are also Canadian, which means that the US Government cannot claim that by using their email and other services you place yourself under US legal jurisdiction. BB10 is now part of the only smartphone product line for which a significant part is not American owned, with the exception of a few older Nokias. Perhaps that's why they are getting so much flak from the US.

With the US/UK extradition treaty as one sided as it is, the case for avoiding involvement with US technology wherever possible can only be growing.

Thumb Down

The Blackberry storm (or storm 2, cant remember, the one with the clicky screen) that i had was the most unreliable phone Iv ever had. It would randomly loose all network conectivity, and only a battery pull and (very slow) reboot got it going again. Maybe I had a faulty device, but that coupled with the `blackberry tax` means i would never buy a Blackberry again. All the decent apps were bloody expensive as well.

The clicky screen that got round the limitations of the not very responsive resistive screen and the holster detection were cool though.

Thumb Up

I agree: the Storm sucked. But that was RIMs first attempt at a touch screen phone. They've gotten much better at it. BB6 and 7 touchphones are waaaaay better. From the handson videos I can see they are very good.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.