Orange customers in France will soon be able to tap on a Facebook contact to give them a call, and even set up conferences, without sharing phone numbers with anyone. The deal between Facebook and France Telecom, owner of the Orange brand, will require a new handset app, but once installed it will move voice calling into the …
I live in France...
But am neither a Facebook nor FranceTelecom/Ornage subscriber.
Win-win pour moi!!!
Re: I live in France...
I too live in France and still get free phone calls to land lines all over most of the world as well as free calls to mobiles in France supplied by my ISP.
Seems a semi-sensible bit of functionality, but I thought FaceBook was cosy with Skype?
The facebook app, allows contact linking... video calling uses skype, I wonder what would be new about this audio calling... and would it work with a desktop to mobile and vice versa? Using skype *cough*
I get all the numbers I've called on my itemised mobile bill -- will these calls appear there I wonder?
I think FB know enough about me already, without knowing who I called and when!
orange is too expensive
For the people who use facebook regularly to pay the contracts. Can't see this working, and I doubt that many people will like the idea of FT (orange) knowing all about thier friends either.
To me it seems doomed to failure.
- Review Is it an iPad? Is it a MacBook Air? No, it's a Surface Pro 3
- Game Theory The agony and ecstasy of SteamOS: WHERE ARE MY GAMES?
- Hello, police, El Reg here. Are we a bunch of terrorists now?
- Worstall on Wednesday Wall Street woes: Oh noes, tech titans aren't using bankers
- Kate Bush: Don't make me HAVE CONTACT with your iPHONE