back to article Apple chief Cook is highest paid CEO in America

Apple CEO Tim Cook has hit the executive-compensation trifecta, having slotted in at number one in CNBC's "Highest Paid CEOs" list. After being proclaimed the same earlier this year by The Wall Street Journal and The New York Times, it appears that life at the iTop is quite remunerative, indeed. As CNBC tells it, 52-year-old …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. TRT Silver badge

Quite a paypacket...

iWatering.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Quite a paypacket...

paid for by the fanbois. Generous of them

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: Quite a paypacket...

Paid for by all the investment banks, pension funds and insurance companies that buy Apple stock - so ultimately lots of little old ladies.

1. TRT Silver badge
          Paris Hilton

Little old ladies, you say???

"And since you've been so good to poor old Granny, I'll share a secret with you. This is no ordinary apple. It's a magic wishing apple."

"A wishing apple?"

"Yes. One bite, and all your dreams will come true."

"Really?"

"Yes, girlie. Now, make a wish, and take a bite."

Paris because, well, she's not Snow White.

2. Jon Lamb

Sounds a lot ...

When you say 95 mil but in it only works out at around £365,000 ... a day.

3. Jon Lamb

Sorry, its worse than that ... $365,000!

1. Si 1

Shocking what modern CEOs have to live on isn't it? I mean that's barely enough for him to have a new Ferrari every day to take him to work.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

err, $95,000,000 / 365 = $260,274

1. Arctic fox
        Unhappy

RE:"err, $95,000,000 / 365 = $260,274"

Pardon me old chap if I say that your calculation does not make it any more appetizing.

2. Jon Lamb

I based it on a 5 day week, not a 7 day one.

1. Eddy Ito

In real terms

They have to sell the equivalent of roughly 500 iPads every day just to pay the man.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

You think he works 5 days a week!?

I'm guessing 2.

4. Andrew Lobban

Whilst the best part of half a biliion dollars over 5 years is indeed chickenfeed to a company like Apple, most of the executive team will be not far behind. I wonder what the total wage bill for the VP and above staff is on a yearly basis.

Apple are not exactly alone here either, every major company, tech or otherwise offer similar extreme pay and bonuses at the executive level. I can understand the creation of extreme wealth when selling a company or floating one that is owned by a small number of people. But to pay a salary that is effective tens of millions a year is surely not justified.

As a 'normal' person who works damn hard for what would be considered a slightly above average salary here in the UK, its difficult to understand what could possibly merit such extreme salaries. I guess it's one of those things thats got out of hand over a long time. I doubt very much that company boards want to give away such enormous amounts of company profit, but if they don't pay it then someone else will pinch your CEO and all their knowledge, vicious circle thats got completely out of hand??

1. Lord Voldemortgage

At least Apple is successful at the moment* - similarly inflated sums are paid for failure too which is when it really rankles .

-

* Of course the current success may be due to the decisions and actions of his predecessor and Cook himself may be laying the foundations for the ruination of the company; who knows?

2. Chris Miller

In theory, 'shareholders' could put a stop to it. The problem these days is that 'shareholders' are principally bankers and fund managers, who (a) wouldn't get out of bed for less than that; and (b) sit on each others remuneration committees voting themselves ever-increasing largesse from the real shareholders pockets..

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

" I wonder what the total wage bill for the VP and above staff is on a yearly basis."

VP means very little in an American company... there are generally hundreds of them and they generally earn no more than an average salary.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Not true for Apple

http://www.apple.com/pr/bios/

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Not true for Apple"

They're all SVPs on that page!

Vice President is a nobody -- it's only when you get to Senior Vice President, or Executive Senior Vice President that you've moved away from the average worker.

5. Crisp
    Coat

Anyone want to argue that he earns every penny?

Thought not :D

1. billium
      FAIL

Re: Anyone want to argue that he earns every penny?

Of course he is. Who works harder him or a 1000 consultant doctors a year?

He makes all those pads, cleans the bogs .. the rest of the Apple team are useless.

2. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: Anyone want to argue that he earns every penny?

Well you need to pay the big bucks to get somebody good.

Our local transit authority decided to hire a big shot corporate CEO from private industry rather than a council worker - and paid $1M/tear salary. But the service has become an expensive series of disasters - a salutory lesson in what happens to a company if you don't pay $50M for your CEO.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

On average stock prices for the companies in that list (CEOs earning>$25 million) have risen year to date by 12.26% --- compared to 12.57% for the S&P500.

7. NoneSuch Silver badge
    Stop

Problem is not what they make when they are successful, but what they pull in during hard times. As Apples stock continues to tumble and market share dwindles, expect to see a storm from Apple shareholders who want a part of the remaining 30 billion in cash.

1. fandom

"shareholders who want a part of the remaining 30 billion in cash"

Apple paid a dividend like two weeks ago.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

So the poor Apple shareholders can take some of their money and put it into a good investment - like Apple stock??

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Apple aka Saruman

This video sums up what Apple thinks of it's profit providers - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKJRPPA6NBQ

9. Lars Silver badge
    Coat

I do not like the way Apple has behaved, but, what the hell, as far as I am concerned, I will not loose my sleep over this. Just apply for the job and feel you might have missed the opportunity because your wife or your dog, or your age, or whatever you can think of. Rather concentrate on what Apple is doing, what the products are worth and how they compare to products by competitors,

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Just apply for the job and feel you might have missed the opportunity because your wife or your dog, or your age, or whatever you can think of. "

You what?

11. Kay Burley ate my hamster

He should have his pay cut after releasing the iPad mini, what a turd!

12. Boris S.

I'm sure they feel better with this knowledge

I'm sure the Chinese slaves feel better knowing that Mr. Cook only received $700 million in annual compensation...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like