back to article NASA admits hiding 'really good' news from Martian soil

It appears the Curiosity rover on Mars has had some exciting news, but NASA controllers have said that they're keeping quiet about it until the facts have been checked. "This data is gonna be one for the history books. It's looking really good," John Grotzinger, principal investigator for Curiosity told NPR. According to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Terminator

Traffic wardens?

Anonymous Coward

No, some Mango Chutney, to go with the poppadum they photographed a while back.

Alien

NASA all shook up?

I'm betting they found Elvis dung. Complete with half-digested fried bananas.

Silver badge
Boffin

What could it be?

1. organic matter (probably Jimmy Hoffa's body if it is)

2. The usual cunning marketing promotion associated with the America Geophysical Union?

3. Dr. Manhattan's underwear?

The world waits!!

Anonymous Coward

Re: What could it be?

Working a Watchmen reference into a NASA article - ++good

Silver badge
Joke

They've found out Mars really is made out of nougat, caramel and covered in chocolate?! Now where can we get a chippan big enough to deep fry an entire planet?

Anonymous Coward

Glasgow

Silver badge

I'm just glad to see someone spell "tenterhooks" right for once.

Anonymous Coward

"THESE data ARE"

The NASA guy can't do plurals proper though

Thumb Down

Re: "THESE data ARE"

Chrissakes man - common usage and all that. Next you'll be criticising NASA employees for using split infinitives.

Flame

I really hate that. Saying that data is always a plural is so illogical to me I can't even conceive of a way to accept it. "Data are" sounds so terrible it makes my mental ears bleed every time I read it.

Anonymous Coward

> "Data are" sounds so terrible it makes my mental ears bleed every time I read it.

and yet it is still correct

Anonymous Coward

These things are... these items are... these objects are... mental ears bleeding yet?

The only reason I don't treat data as a plural in reports is that I am surrounded by people who didn't do Latin at school.

Facepalm

Yeah. Data ARE. Also use "THEE" and "THOU" more often.

Silver badge
Alien

Ack. Ack ack ack.

As above.

WR
Joke

A million to one.

Scientists have found red 'weed' on mars.

Are immediately volunteering for first manned mission.

Bronze badge
Coat

Re: A million to one.

NASA obviously listened to Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War of the Worlds before the launch. That's why NASA preempted a Martian attack by sending the humblest things on Earth. Bacteria, minute, invisible bacteria! As we speak, our microscopic allies are attacking them. From the moment Curiosity arrived– they were doomed!

http://www.npr.org/2012/09/14/161156787/mars-rover-may-be-contaminated-with-earth-microbes

Now we must ask ourselves, is our planet safe, or is this time of peace merely a reprieve? It may be that, across the immensity of space, they have learned their lessons and ever now await the opportunity. Perhaps the future belongs not to us – but to the Martians?

Devil

Re: A million to one.

"Perhaps the future belongs not to us – but to the Martians?"

I bloody hope it does - I'd hate to see a universe settled by a cross breed of bogans, chavs & rednecks.

Air

If the instrument inadvertently carried air including methane from Earth, could it have also carried organic matter? I assume everything got zapped to sterilise it before departure, but such matter would remain.

Finding native living microorganisms would be quite fantastic, but that might mean that the planet would be quarantined, with no return trips allowed.

Re: Air

This was covered in an earlier story, the instruments were exposed to martian soil by basically running through a sampling process but with out active instruments to try to eliminate the risk of earth based contamination.

Silver badge
Happy

They found proof

that there IS intelligent life somewhere in the universe after all!

Silver badge

Re: They found proof

And they have just fried it.

Drive Thru

A sign? Looks like two yellow shapes on a red background?

Alien

I for one welcome our new dirt based overlords.

Silver badge
Alien

It's life Jim

But not as we know it.

(fingers crossed)

Paris Hilton

Re: It's life Jim

Beat me to it.......

Though I'd have added:

What do you expect? A pole dancing asari?

Bronze badge

They found a way to springboard from Mars to Andromeda?

Probably not, but it is interesting that a new Super Jupiter has been found, too. Apparently, that is not as big as the pending Mars news....

For those interested, see this:

http://www.space.com/18522-super-jupiter-alien-planet-photo.html

Anonymous Coward

Re: They found a way to springboard from Mars to Andromeda?

The Reg covered it too:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/11/20/super_jupiter_pictured/

Alien

Oh, the teasers..

I bet they found E.T.'s "discharge".

Alien

Michael Bay already told us.

They found a Decepticon...

Alert

hope they find life

Hope they find life, might get funding for real space exploration, which in turn would enable (but not require) space exploitation, so maybe some day human beings can (a) preserve Earth more easily (b) gain energy and other resources from places besides Earth (c) actually live in places besides Earth. Having done all that, someday, humanity would (a) be more likely to survive (b) be capable, if desired, of exploring places light-years away. Who knows, we might someday either discover, or attract the attention of and find ourselves discovered by, some other intelligent species.

Silver badge

Found intelligent life?

I think not - nor any life.

There's plenty of intelligent life here on earth but few people seem that interested.

If we can't deal properly with our own kind, how successful do you think we'd be with aliens?

Bronze badge
Trollface

They've found the best way to kickstart manned exploration missions...

GOLD!

Anonymous Coward

Re: They've found the best way to kickstart manned exploration missions...

That's a bit old fashioned. Try "They've found oil."

Then the Americans will be itching to invade ^H^H^H^H^H^H^H investigate further.

Happy

That's a bit old fashioned, try Helium-3.

Megaphone

If they have found oil that would be two big discoveries in one!

Anonymous Coward

Unobtainium

WTF?

"That's a bit old fashioned, try Helium-3."

Given there's He3 on the moon, bit pointless to go to Mars, until we've stripped the moon bare! ;)

Re: He-3

Wake me up when they've got that to work .....

Joke

Whoa

I have it from reliable sources that they found amanfrommars. Why hold back on this discovery we need to know what hes upto.

Silver badge

Re: Whoa ... Move along now, nothing to see here that you don't already know about

:-) Hey Presto ..... urWish Our Command ... http://forums.theregister.co.uk/forum/1/2012/11/20/oldest_digital_computer_deboots/#c_1630843........ is an Alien Way with WOW Input Direction? Surely not? IT is Virtually Man's Perfectly Natural State for Elevated Being.

Hi, James O'Brien,

The Powers That Be are at something of a XSSXXXXRoads. To Avoid the Virtual Space Places is not an Option Open to them for Power in ITs Control, which renders them Virgin in ITs Insatiable Fields of Rabid Communication with Remote Control. The Hiring of Sound of Mind Proxies Playing Well in the Field is a Solid SMARTR Starter Investment for Both the Bemused and Amused, Abused and Defused Shareholder

And the Virtual Gems in Insatiable Fields Energise Immaculate Desire ......with Raw Core Sourced, Sweet Sticky Temptations ...... Model Inventions on Base Pleasures.

Silver badge
Stop

I wish they would stop doing this.

They've done it before and the payoff never lives up to the pre-announcement hype. If you've got something to tell us, tell us. If you're not ready to talk about it, don't talk about it.

Holmes

If you're not ready to talk about it, don't talk about it.

That is what they are doing or not, as the case may be.

"If you've got something to tell us, tell us"

They will when they have.

Hope it's recognisable as life of evidence thereof.

That would be a beautiful bombshell for the religious nutters.

Just in time for Jebus day!

Silver badge

Re: If you're not ready to talk about it, don't talk about it.

Oi! that's 'Little Baby Jesus' to you - use the proper trade name ffs!

Silver badge

Re: I wish they would stop doing this.

So a journalist calls you up and asks you to comment and you're not ready yet. Do you say: "nothing has been found". Well that's a lie. Do you tell them stuff before you've triple checked, knowing that you've been burned before by that. No. Do you say: "we will make an annoucement in due course." ? Sounds like the last is the only acceptable option. So if you don't like it, have a go at the journalists, not the scientists.*

(*note - am not saying you should have a go at the journalists.)

Anonymous Coward

Re: If you're not ready to talk about it, don't talk about it.

It would have the side effect of the C of E supporters of C S Lewis going around saying "He told you so".

Silver badge
Alien

Life?

The chances of anything coming from Mars are a million to one...

Re: Life?

...they say.

But -

The chance on anything staying on Mars are pretty good!

BTW has anyone worked out the chances of anything coming from Earth?

Gold badge
Happy

Re: Life?

"The chances of anything coming from Mars are a million to one..."

Million-to-one chances come up nine times out of ten...

So either

Life (or trace of past) of some description

or

Resources which we're rapidly running out of in a quantity that may be of interest to us

or

???

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums