Feeds

back to article Oprah Winfrey too late to save Microsoft's Windows 8

Early signs are showing that hopes for the overnight success of Microsoft's Windows 8 are unrealistic, although the tech giant appears to have bet the farm on the brand new operating system with the shiny new interface. Microsoft blogger Paul Thurrott has quoted one unnamed company source as saying early sales of Windows 8 PCs …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Anonymous Coward

upgrading from Vista (and anything/everything before probably) felt like Windows 7 was a life boat

And it was/is

Windows 8 feels like a move away from safety

That was only really going to work if 8 looked and felt like 7 but got reviews it was 'faster, safer, stronger, compatible'

Microsoft doesn't seem to have used that messaging, they went with 'Look at my new interface' which is almost exactly what people didn't want.

just my tuppence from out here in the field

Silver badge
Devil

Re:Windows 7 was a life boat

'Surface' is a submarine.

Dive dive dive.

Silver badge
Pint

From the BBC website, June 1st 2013:

"It's been 8 months since the disastrous launch of Windows 8, and the long-suffering shareholders have finally had enough. Steve Ballmer the CEO blamed for the companies biggest failure ever, dwarfing even the Vista failure of 2007, has resigned having seen the share price plummet to a third of its value at the start of the year. Not even the hastily constructed "Consumer Desktop" Edition of 3 months ago, where the unfamiliar tiles interface was replaced with the Windows 7 one, plus the return of the start menu, was enough to get any kind of significant sales moving. The dominance of Android on the handset and tablets meant users who had seen and heard all the negative press regarding Windows 8 avoided sales there too, thus compounding the problem. Steve Sinofsky, Head of Android User Experience at Google, said "the writing was on the wall all along. I wish them well, but a significant culture change is needed before any good can emerge now. And they can start by listening to their users."

Joke

From the Register website, June 1st 2013:

"Ballmer Ballsup Bitch-Slaps Investors Buttocks"

Bronze badge

Because MS refuses to listen to its users, it has never got the insight that guided Apple's boom: for the typical user/consumer, the interface IS the product. Only geeks buy specs and gizmos. WE DO NOT WANT A NEW INTERFACE, and if we did we'd go looking for another product (are you listening at Ubuntu / Gnome / KDE). Ironically only Apple, that great driver of innovation and change has resisted the current lemming-like rush to destroy the desktop that has developed over millions of user-hours.

Windows 8 is a disaster because, to the typical user it's not “Windows”, ie it doesn't work like Windows has done for everyone who is currently a PC user. It's not because people are Luddites, scared of change etc.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Re:Windows 7 was a life boat

I disagree, Windows 8 is most certainly a floater, of the brown variety.

Bronze badge

I agree.

For £30 I would have probably upgraded FROM 7 to 8 if it had the same GUI (but the great changes and improvements in the core features and background programming). Because I do hear it's faster and better in other areas. But I cannot be bothered to change GUI if they paid me for the privileged, let alone at the discount of the windows 8 upgrade.

The Slates look nice though. However I may not be alone in not having a budget for one. :/

Windows

Re: Surface is a submarine

with screen doors.

Happy

I couldn't agree more.

Windows 7 is simply too new to warrant replacing and as the hardware advances have slowed considerably compared to 10-15 years ago, why would you want to buy a brand new machine if you replaced your old one less than three years ago?

Most people upgrade when they have to, not because they want to.

Silver badge
FAIL

Windows 8 launch hasn't gone as expected for the world's largest software maker.

Whereas it's gone exactly as expected by everyone else...

JDX
Gold badge

Re: Windows 8 launch hasn't gone as expected for the world's largest software maker.

By 'everyone' you mean a tiny minority of people who post on nerdy forums? I doubt my mum has any expectations either way...

Silver badge
Headmaster

Re: Windows 8 launch hasn't gone as expected for the world's largest software maker.

Your mum probably has no expectations about the Higgs Boson either, but so what?

Anonymous Coward

Your mum probable buys less than one computer every five years ?

Silver badge
Trollface

Tut tut , JDX, thats a little touchy for someone that also frequents the Nerd Minority, does your mum approve of that ?

JDX
Gold badge

I am part of the nerd minority... you missed my point entirely which is that claiming "everyone" had expectations the way you feel personally when you are in a minority group is just bloody stupid/arrogant.

Silver badge

@JDX

I understood your initial position but the minority in this case, the Nerds, can have a major impact on IT in general. They have a Tech Savvy* approach that is often communicated to friends, familly and work mates.

You are right in the case that most people don't have any expections, most people do not have any interest or expectations in IT at all.

But,in the context of this thread I think it is safe to assume that "everyone" can be assumed as being "those that have an interest in, for example, new OS's, ie : the Nerdy IT Crowd.

The general consensus of the Nerds has been very disfavourable for W8, up until now, and there appears to be many that expect, almost desire, W8 to fail....

*Tech Savvy, this is a bit of a vague term so YYMV. Basically they have more knowledge than the non IT crowd.

Anonymous Coward

Re: claiming "everyone" had expectations

More like "everyone else who had expectations" - people who don't know about or have an opinion of the subject being pretty much irrelevant to the discussion, if not to the actual outcome.

An elderly lady acquaintance of mine is looking a new PC, but volunteered that she didn't want one with 'that Windows 8'. She'd seen it in PC World and instinctively didn't like it. Since PCW were unable to sell her anything different, they lost a sale there and then.

Facepalm

"Everyone who has an opinion"

there, fixed it for you.

Bronze badge
FAIL

The kind of people who care....

....what opera thinks are the kind of people who probably couldn't afford the hardware to run windows 8 well, or who care about operarting systems, most probablay still call starting internet explorer "starting the internet".

Plus the advert for surface sucks... do MS really think people who watch opera can walk around their estates with a laptop and not get mugged? Or that they won't get bottled and called gay boy for dancinga round a computer outside?

JDX
Gold badge

Re: The kind of people who care....

I think you mean Oprah, but Opera is equally irrelevant to society and IT purchasing.

Silver badge
Joke

Re: The kind of people who care....

> I think you mean Oprah, but Opera is equally irrelevant to society and IT purchasing

It has similarities with Windows 8 as well. It's overly complicated, too showy and hardly anyone understands it.

Silver badge
Alert

@RISC OS Re: The kind of people who care....

You try mugging the Valkyries for their laptops and see what happens to you.

Anonymous Coward

Not a catchy enough tune?

That Rolling Stones song used for Windows 95 still pops into my head today.

And in my head I can see the woman doing her silly little dance on the Windows 8 advert, but I can't hear the tune....

Re: Not a catchy enough tune?

Isn't it about wanting to be a jack of all trades?

Anonymous Coward

The tune on the new advert is definitely catchy, I certainly find it easy to recall. As for the Stone's tune from 95, was it some run of the mill blues riff played on a slightly out of tune guitar by any chance...? Classic Stones!

Bronze badge
Thumb Up

"Start me up" probably one of the most successful IT advertising campaigns.

They could use the 2nd line - "You make a grown man cry"

Still better than that "wub wub wub" noise they used to advertise IE (by using avengers, Aston Martin and that dinosaur eat the thing on the string game).

Anonymous Coward

> And in my head I can see the woman doing her silly little dance on the Windows 8 advert

I found the Win8 advert incredibly creepy; it reminded me of Aphex Twin's Come to Daddy video for some reason.

Bronze badge
Happy

Yes. I remember the parody version. "It's Windows 95! It's sucking up my drive!"

Silver badge
Coffee/keyboard

<quote>Still better than that "wub wub wub" noise they used to advertise IE (by using avengers, Aston Martin and that dinosaur eat the thing on the string game).</quoute>

I must admit to having never seen that publicity but your description in wonderfull. I can't help but try and imagine how they managed to fit Wub, Wub , Wub, an Aston Martin, an Avenger and a Dinosaur on a string into the same 30 second slot....... in order to publicise Internet Explorer.

Conjures up some strange images

Bronze badge

Don't "Start Me Up"

Remember the chorus of that song: "You make a grown man cry".

Anonymous Coward

re: Reminded me of Aphex Twin's video

I'd like to thank Aphex for graphically illustrating the junky experience for us all ...

JDX
Gold badge

Nobody buys an OS for Xmas

There is a massive distinction between Windows8 and Surface. The former is a desktop OS - people don't rush out to buy an OS or a new PC with a new OS.

As for Surface, MS basically said it is a prototype or proof of concept rather than a mainstream product. We need to wait for other manufacturers to release their take on it.

On the other hand, the phones are released (right?) and sound pretty nice but is anyone buying them?

Anonymous Coward

Re: Nobody buys an OS for Xmas

I don't think you were trying to be condescending but:

Surface... We need to wait for other manufacturers to release their take on it.

It's not like Microsoft invented the convertible. If anyone should be given credit for developing and pushing that it should be Asus and their products are out on the market right now. They don't appear to be flying off the shelves either.

Anonymous Coward

Re: MS basically said it is a prototype or proof of concept

I'm pretty sure they said it was setting a good example for the usual manufacturers to follow.

Vic
Silver badge

Re: Nobody buys an OS for Xmas

> people don't rush out to buy an OS

My friend's husband bought her a copy of Windows 7 one Christmas.

He's now her ex-husband. But I'm sure that's unrelated.

Vic.

Facepalm

actually quite a good os underneath...

I have just bought a new laptop, and had to make the choice between one that had a better processor and bigger hard drive, and windows 7, and one that had much better build quality and a better screen but slower processor and graphics, along with windows 8. I went with the one that was a better build quality for a number of reasons, although I was very reticent about windows 8. Now, I have to say that Metro is an abomination. It is an unsuable mess without a touchscreen and annoying inconsistent, dropping you back to the desktop at annoying times. However, once I got the start bar back, (currently using http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/), I actually found the underlying os and traditional desktop to be very good. I think it actually performs better than windows 7, boots faster, is more stable and I actually haven't missed aero to be honest.

The problem that Microsoft have of course, is that the vast majority of buyers won't have any knowledge of this and will be completely put off by the mess that is metro....

Unhappy

Re: actually quite a good os underneath...

It can be as good as it wants to be "under the bonnet" but everyone, me included, will use (or not) based on what the surface (sic!) looks like...........

Silver badge

One of the problems I found is that if you disable all hot corners (as any sensible person would, they're a total mess), moving your mouse into the very top right to close a window doesn't work. But with the stupid charms bar on, it does work - a hack by microsoft no doubt to detect a full screen window and pass the close click through, as well as showing the aforementioned stupid charms bar.

Basically, long story short, a nice task manager and copy dialogue aren't enough. I tried to like Windows 8, but in the end I still think Windows 7 is a better overall package out of the box.

Well I agree mostly, as I said at the end of my post. That is what I think is a shame; most start bar replacements will boot you into the desktop, bypassing metro almost entirely. When you do this Windows 8 is actually a good os in my opinion. Although I agree that the charms can be a pain, but I have kind of got used to them to be honest and pretty much ignore them.

Would I blame people for sticking with Windows 7 though? Certainly not, as I do not think the hassle of replacing the start bar and bypassing metro is worth it; there is not enough improvements over Windows 7 underneath to make it worth it for most people. Which makes metro all the more frustrating as there is clearly a very good, streamlined os struggling to get out! (Windows 8 feels much more streamlined than Windows 7, which for me is a good thing. Not saying that Windows 7 is bloated, just that I prefer to install the programmes I want and not have a load of crap i don't need....)

This post has been deleted by a moderator

Anonymous Coward

Re: actually quite a good os underneath... - until you try the competition

@Edon - You'd sound more authoritative if practically every single post you make isn't anti-Windows or anti-MS in some way.

Bronze badge

His problem isn't his stance on MS, it's his sources. If only he'd give them.

Silver badge
Meh

Back in the 90's I was a huge fan of Microsoft.

Hell hath no fury like a retarded fanboy. Also, I'm guessing that was before you were old enough to vote. Are you old enough to vote yet? The HATE HATE HATE of all your posts would indicate otherwise.

This post has been deleted by its author

Silver badge
Stop

You know what, Eadon? Actually, there is.

I think it was the TypeScript thing that did it for me. Here's a tool which takes standard javascript, makes it easy to work on and outputs standard javascript. It's like CoffeeScript but better (in that CoffeeScript can't accept plain js as a start). Further, it's entirely open source with plugins for FOSS and even for Apple's stuff.

It was when you decided to shit on that too that I realized that there is actually no hope for you. You don't make any decisions when contemplating a technology if it's from Microsoft. You just immediately shit on it, even when you clearly don't know what it is.

I sincerely wish that the Reg forums had a /ignore feature. You're a waste of bandwidth.

The trouble is, there's a large contingent here that doesn't know anything, thinks that "MS == bad" - because you get upvotes for that! - and is clearly in danger of being led into further ignorance by your kneejerk blind hate. And that's not good.

Silver badge
Devil

@dogged

http://www.asymco.com/2011/02/11/in-memoriam-microsofts-previous-strategic-mobile-partners/

http://www.infoworld.com/t/android/microsoft-makes-more-android-windows-smartphones-707

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halloween_Documents

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2001/06/02/ballmer_linux_is_a_cancer/

Not wasting any more time on this, just go and Google for yourself. Or use some script kiddie style wrapper some losers threw up around it:

http://googleblog.blogspot.co.uk/2011/02/microsofts-bing-uses-google-search.html

Unhappy

Strewth. And you haven't even mentioned Nokia!

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.