Feeds

back to article Certain people rejoice! AC/DC finally available on iTunes

Thumping rockers AC/DC have been remastered for iTunes putting the seminal rocknroll tracks in a digital music store for the first time. AC/DC music has never been sold digitally before record label Columbia cut a deal with Apple, and now all 16 albums are on the store plus two specially packaged digital collections. Apple …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Anonymous Coward

$99.99 - or $149.99

using the usual exchange rate that would be...£99.99 or £149.99 ?

£150? A touch too much

Silver badge
Stop

Since you ask

£79.99 or £99.99

Silver badge
Thumb Up

DUN DER DER DUN DER DER DUN

tnanilialianan DER DUN DER DUN DER DUN DER DUN

(Back in Black, ASCII rendering)

Happy

Re: DUN DER DER DUN DER DER DUN

Angus. Angus

Anonymous Coward

Alternatively....

...buy a complete set of CDs and rip em yourself.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Alternatively....

Yeah, about 75p each from the local petrol station, next to Wham!

Anonymous Coward

Can't, because my new iMac doesn't have an optical drive!

Anonymous Coward

ha ha ha haaaa..

Form...meet...Function.

TRT
Silver badge

You see *THERE'S* the problem with digital downloading...

If this was a physical vinyl box set, for that price they'd have included a couple of sachets of bike oil to rub through your hair for that really authentic experience. ;)

MJI
Silver badge

Compressed Rock music

I do not like it, does not compress well at all

Anonymous Coward

Re: Compressed Rock music

On iTunes it will be ALAC (Apple's version of FLAC) so therefore lossless.

I find 192Kbps CBR fine for most rock, but some requires more. Now that storage space (at least for those who can upgrade it) is cheap, I've started ripping at higher bitrates.

Silver badge

Unless they've decided to break with the norm for this one release, they're not lossless. iTunes purchases are 256kbit AAC variable bitrate without DRM.

My "online" music purchases consist of online CD purchases that I rip to lossless audio... I also convert these to 192k MP3 VBR to listen on my phone or in the car. I've never paid good money for compressed downloads (and that doesn't mean that I've just taken them for nothing, btw...)

Anonymous Coward

Re: iTunes purchases are 256kbit AAC variable bitrate

Thanks, didn't know!

MJI
Silver badge
FAIL

haha I've been downvoted by a philistine.

Len
Unhappy

Disappointed...

Disappointed that I haven't seen any of the cheesy puns around this story use the obvious “iWay to sell” headline.

Disappointed...?

I'm thunderstruck!

Coat

Re: Disappointed...?

wonder if they'll have a Big Ball(s) to launch it ?

Devil

Re: Disappointed...?

Oh... you're all such Riff Raff...

Devil

Remastered for iTunes

By remastered, do they mean the current trend of making it louder with less definition?

(I'd recommend Highway to Hell)

Silver badge

Re: Remastered for iTunes

Yes I'm also worried that the melody in many of the more choral pieces will lose the subtle undertone of harmony ....

It's ****ing AC/DC !

Silver badge
Meh

Hmm. Crossover between iTunes hipsters and AC/DC fans ... probably minimal.

FAIL

Most people don't fit to your simplistic stereotypes.

One of the biggest AC/DC fans I've known is a very clean-cut ex-public schoolboy.

Silver badge

I also went to a public school and have every AC/DC album. On CD and some still on vinyl. However, I wouldn't touch iTunes with yours, mate. It's like crabs for computers.

Anonymous Coward

yes but that's more to do with an old man dressed as a schoolboy more than anything else. It brings back memories of the dorm for him.

Silver badge

Meh...

Still got the vinyl copies of Powerage, Let There be Rock, If you want blood (you got it) [probably one of the finest live albums ever], and Highway to Hell.

Sod the remasters heavily compressed and quantised, I'm sticking to 70s rock the way it should be - analog.

And, there's hardly a click or a pop or whirr on these records, even after being played for 30 years.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Meh...

... and it's so much nicer travelling to london on horseback and why bother with electricity - bah humbug. Some people are 'romantic' about analog / vinyl records - why not just record the vinyl version using a lossless 'digital' format instead then play it back through your valve amp ;)

Silver badge

'If you want blood (you got it) [probably one of the finest live albums ever]'

Hmm, better than Live at Leeds?

Silver badge

It's a close thing, but I'm more of an AC/DC fan than a Who fan (I never saw the Who, but I did see AC/DC with Bon Scott, so I'm probably a wee bitty biased :)

Silver badge
Thumb Up

Vinyl sounds a million times better than MP3s, assuming you have a kick ass hifi, awesome pickups, your vinyl is kept perfectly upright in a non humid environment with very little temperature fluctuation, there's no dust around, the floor is stable, you've shaved the cat and don't mind flipping over the LP after 22 minutes…

Personally, I can't tell a difference between CD and high bitrate OGG. Spotify streams me 320kb/s OGG, works for me.

Anonymous Coward

"Hmm, better than Live at Leeds?"

No room in there for UFOs Strangers In The Night? MSGs One Night at Budokan? Or, (and I don't give two hoots if there's overdubbing) the mighty Priest's Unleashed In The East?

I've actually always preferred Brian Johnson's vocals. They just seem more balanced and gruffer.

Silver badge

And I probably should have added "Made in Japan"...

Never a huge MSG fan, but Strangers in the Night is just awesome.

Not a fan of Brian Johnson.

Bon Scott sang with that kinda sneer in his voice (like he has on the cover of Highway To Hell). I don't think Brian Johnson is able to do justice to lots of that older material, songs like The Jack need that kinda sneering.

Anonymous Coward

@noodles: Scott definitely had something to his voice that made him stand out. I love his work but got bored of AC/DC pretty quickly into Johnsons career. It is a personal preference but the songs didnt seem to have the sleazy rocker sound that made "the jack" and "whole lotta rosie" (or pretty much the whole highway to hell album). Not saying that Brian isnt talented.

And I will weigh into the vinyl debate that MP3 and cd is much easier to transport but the sound of a vinyl record does make a difference. I am always on the lookout to pick up more and have always had a record player.

MJI
Silver badge

My favourite live LP

Gary Moore Rocking every night live in japan

£8 import LP in the 1980s

Devil

Maiden's "Live After Death" - end of 'best live album in the world, ever' discussion ;-)

<-- Devil, 'cos it's the closest I can find to an Eddie icon.

MJI
Silver badge

Actually it is a red car!

Anonymous Coward

It's a long way to the shop

If you want a chiko roll* !!!

Anthem of my childhood.

* god awful fast food made from lips anus and too much cabbage.

M_W

Loudness War

Yep, confirmed. They've been Loudness War mastered, or 'Mastered for iTunes' if you like.

Thumb Down

Re: Loudness War

Or, as I prefer to describe it, utterly butchered.

A dirty deed, indeed.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Loudness War

> A dirty deed, indeed.

Done dirt cheap, I imagine.

Silver badge
Headmaster

Really? Seriously?

AC/DC music has never been sold digitally before

Did three decades of Compact Discs pass them by?

Re: Really? Seriously?

No, it most certainly has been sold on CD. I assume they really meant "sold as digital downloads" before.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Really? Seriously?

"No, it most certainly has been sold on CD. I assume they really meant "sold as digital downloads" before."

Yes, we- including the original poster- know that's what was meant, it just doesn't make it any less annoying or wrong. Considering that one of the main selling points of the CD was that it was DIGITAL F*****G AUDIO, it's rather grating that everyone assumes that digital = download and vice versa.

Anonymous Coward

Google Music please.

As I don't use anything that's been touched by Apple.

Alert

Re: Google Music please.

Best put that computer mouse down then.

WTF?

$99.99 - $149.99 to rent music and never own it?

Bugger that.

Moron!

There's no DRM! You download it and - it's yours! Forever! Unless the bitrot fairy comes a-calling... (Make a backup, OK.)

16 albums, or one album 16 times, who can tell?

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.