Feeds

back to article US team poised for second pop at PARIS spaceplane record

Students from the University of Southern Indiana are poised to make a second attempt on El Reg's Guinness World Record for the highest launch of a paper plane. On 27 October, a team from the uni's Engineering Design and Analysis class dispatched their Geronimo aircraft (pictured below) under a helium-filled meteorological …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Silver badge
Mushroom

Still got that high power laser Lester?

Passport at the ready...

(Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: Still got that high power laser Lester?

I'm looking at it as we speak. Hmmmm, I think if I get to the airport tonight, I can be in Illinois by tomorrow afternoon...

Silver badge

Geronimo?

What kind of name is that?

Anonymous Coward

Re: Geronimo?

Hindi?

Anonymous Coward

OK...

किस तरह का है कि नाम के है?

(((:boggle:))) @Cliff http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geronimo

See bottom of article or search for "airplane"

Silver badge

All that's well and good, but where's the contrived seaside-postcard saucy backronym?

W9MOK-2 is showing as a BeeLine 10, the same tracker as used on the PARIS Balloon. W9MOK is a Tiny Track though.

Good luck with the launch.

And even better luck to Lester armed with the Laser

Silver badge
Coat

It's no good just having a laser

You have to have a suitable shark, too...

Geronimo

Geronimo is the name of one of our native american warriors. Somehow it evolved into a slang term that is shouted by children when jumping from a large hight, like off the top of a picnic table. I'm guessing that's why they chose it but I can't say for sure.

Excellent coverage! I'm really enjoying the read.

-USI Staffer.

Re: Geronimo

Hopefully you chaps at USI remembered to add a pilot, breaking the record is one thing (especially if Lester does manage to intervene with his laser....) but if you don't have a little plastic model then, well, it's just no where near as much fun! Anyone can build a PARIS, but it takes a real man to.... so many ways to finish that sentence!

Anyhow, good luck.

Silver badge
Mushroom

Is SPB gonna take this???

I can imagine a couple limey-accented phone calls asking if the University of Southern Indiana has it's fire insurance paid up!

"Because it would be a real shame if something happened while yuhs are out flying your little toy plane..."

Anonymous Coward

re Reconstruction

does that first "American" on the left, look like the cowboy from Village People, or do I need an eye test?

Silver badge
Gimp

Re: re Reconstruction

We're more enlightened about that kind of thing these days. That may explain whyPlaymobil Uncle Sam is carrying a whip....

Seem to have made 107,190 with the tracks separating at 106,826

So somewhere between the two was release

Assuming they find the payloads they have got the record

Failed the pilots ejected early., the nose fell off again, or Lester's space born laser working, Is this the start of a UK Star Wars attempt, abandoned by the US.

I could send some British horse to make better glue.

But then I would get a queue of scantily clad PETA operatives at my door, Hell

This topic is closed for new posts.