Feeds

back to article Google seen sniffing over a Dish of mobile spectrum

Google has been chatting to Dish about cooperatively launching a mobile phone network in the USA, using the same loophole LightSquared failed to exploit to build a national network. It's not just Google that Dish is taking to, the TV company has been looking for a partner for some time and is open to discussions with anyone, but …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Silver badge
Happy

Just buy T-Mobile

Sure, there'd be the usual "Google's evil" people running around but it would make more sense IF they are serious out the business. The trouble is, I don't think that are - they just want to put the frighteners on the rest of the sell-phone industry (sic) ... "Nice business model you've got there, be a shame if something happened to it"

Anonymous Coward

Sooo if it's

Free internet, but Google gets to monitor and log all of your activity.

Who here would go for it?

(Just a question!)

Re: Sooo if it's

I certainly would. Anything I'd mind being logged somewhere is already sent over SSL, so unless Google start running MITM attacks on their customers I don't see an issue. They've already got my web search history, 90% of my email, my smartphone location data and a satellite picture of my house...

Anonymous Coward

Re: Sooo if it's

TNSTAAFL - if you want to be able to search for local content, the location of the restaurant, movie theater, hookers or whatever (or even all three together) then you've going to have to tell someone somewhere where you are ... the trick is to control the amount of information that you hand over so that you get just the results that you want and don't overfeed them.

But I don't expect "free" internet - just reasonably priced data transfer ... which T-Mobile currently offer at $50/month in the USA - whereas AT&T/Verizon charge more than twice the price for the same service ... any you actually believe that they don't look at your data?

Unless you're using two cans and some string, the chances are your data is being inspected.

Bronze badge

Given what Google did with the 'block C' spectrum in the US, I would expect Google to invest some money in influencing events - they pushed a "network neutrality" clause into place (prohibiting the winning bidder from locking handsets or restricting the handsets used), then were content to leave the auction knowing the winner would have to do what they wanted anyway.

Maybe they'll chuck a few billion in to help Dish get a service up and running, in exchange for it developing in the direction they want?

The sad thing is, LightSquared were using their loophole to built a network consisting entirely of ground-based "fill in" stations - when what I'd really like to see is a satellite-ground hybrid, with a satellite giving basic "universal" coverage even when out of range of any ground-based towers. (I know the size of antenna and power needed is a pain there, making the Thuraya and Iridium handsets hefty bricks, but still...)

This topic is closed for new posts.