Australia;s computer gaming sector has been handed an AUD$20 million stimulus from the federal government in the form of a three year Interactive Games Fund. The funding, which will be administered by Screen Australia, aims to accelerate the Australian gaming development industry to compete globally in a market expected to …
With Screen Australia running the only games that will get funding will be artsy fartsy bollocks... just like how they hand out funding for crap like Rabbit Proof Fence/etc...
There is no way those latte-sipping ponces would do something as low brow as fund something that actually might be *gasp* enjoyable...
Re: Screen Australia...
I completely agree.
1) 20 million is too little, too late
2) There needs to be tax incentives to encourage long term investment in the industry
3) Screen Australia is the WORST possible body to oversee this money
The Australian game industry has been dead for the good part of 2 years now, and all the talent has left for over seas jobs. My wife is one of those people.
So if they want an Australian games industry, they need to rebuild it from the ground up, and have a separate body to oversee the grants.
Oh, and throw a lot more than 20 million into the pot.
I hope its tied aid
Only companies without a history of price-discriminating against Oz customers (or without a history for supplying companies who discriminate) get the cash.
Artsy stuff is fine. Limbo was brilliant. More like that, but from Oz would be great.
Maybe re-skin wii cow race with kangaroos and release via valve on linux. :D
Unlimited Detail Games Engine perhaps?
Perhaps NOT that is - http://www.kotaku.com.au/2012/09/euclideons-given-up-on-unlimited-detail-for-games-its-new-website-suggests-so
- World's OLDEST human DNA found in leg bone – but that's not the only boning going on...
- Lightning strikes USB bosses: Next-gen jacks will be REVERSIBLE
- Pics Brit inventors' GRAVITY POWERED LIGHT ships out after just 1 year
- Beijing leans on Microsoft to maintain Windows XP support
- Storagebod Oh no, RBS has gone titsup again... but is it JUST BAD LUCK?