back to article RIM adds VoIP digivoice calls to BBM youngster-messaging ware

BlackBerry Messenger 7 will support VoIP calls as well as messaging, and is available now to download to BlackBerry OS 6 or better, with 5 to follow soon. It's a beta version, but adds a Voice Call button to the BBM experience, when the other party has the software installed and is connected to a Wi-Fi network, instantly …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mage Silver badge

Excellent

That is on a platform with a future. Maybe HTC should wait a while and buy it up at fire sale prices. The Blackberry IP at least.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hrm

You know, Bill, I am not so sure it will throw networks for a loop, once they get a clue, start acting as a pipe, and structure their data charges properly. After all, LTE's lack of voice will merit a serious rethink, no?

3. AJ MacLeod

Good to see a manufacturer support older handsets too

Nice to see them making this available for older but still physically very capable phones running OS5... Mine could run 6 but I couldn't see any real advantage in upgrading as the phone works perfectly running on BBOS5.

4. Bakunin
    Devil

We heard you like ...

As with BBM are these VoIP calls channelled through RIM's own analytic ... sorry I mean "messaging" servers?

5. Mike Brown

all data, no voice. yeah the networks will love this, since they make huge profits on data, and actual loses on voice............hang on a second, ive got that backwards.

This could be the end for RIM. Another end.....

6. dezi
    Meh

What is the difference

I wonder what's the difference between this and apples face time or android Gtalk video call or hangout.

1. bazza Silver badge

Re: What is the difference

Not a lot, its just another voip platform that won't interoperate. If this trend keeps going no one will be able to speak unless they've got the same phones...

I like it's integration with BBM.

7. Buzzword

Christmas season

Sadly the new BBs will miss the lucrative Christmas season. Millions of kids will find shiny new Android phones under their Christmas trees. The network effect of BBM isn't strong enough; all the broke kids are using What'sApp these days.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like