Feeds

back to article ID providers signed for Blighty's One Dole To Rule Them All plan

The Department for Work and Pensions - seen last week attempting to stave off suggestions that management of its Universal Credit system was in crisis - has confirmed the first providers of its online identity scheme. Credit report outfit Experian is on the list, as is the Post Office. The other players that will help design and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Anonymous Coward

Ah, the out-sourced ID card

It pops up again. 21 million people, that's what, one third of the population? That's one hell of a "soft target".

Note how they've successfully stripped choice, bypassed public outcry, and still provide you with a government identity card for convenient tracking, sans the limited travel options though. They're getting better at it, in their own special governmental ways, aren't they?

Bit of a list of strange bedfellows though. Where'd they stick facebook, by the by? Or is that for "version two" of this latest governmental IT contraption?

Re: Ah, the out-sourced ID card

It's not an ID card, I tell you, it's a personal data store, a PDS, when will you get this into your head?

And why can't you tell the good news? With identity providers, now, at last, everyone will have their own ... nanny.

Now brush your teeth.

http://www.dmossesq.com/2012/11/identity-providers-electronic-mary.html

Anonymous Coward

That's quite the amazing government press release

You'd easily forget this was the government talking, you know, that entity that's there to care for the common good and everything. It's a complete and utter selling out of all your personal data. You're no longer even a person, you're a nice and conveniently packaged-up source of valuable data for that card you're holding. And not content to simply squander taxes, they're going to pay commercial parties to make more money with your data too.

Of course we knew all this, but to have them make glossies out of it.... Something about insults and injuries, stacked miles high.

So that eight party they haven't quite announced yet is facebook? Or at least google? Some party we've at least heard of? No?

Re: That's quite the amazing government press release

"So that eight party they haven't quite announced yet is facebook? Or at least google? Some party we've at least heard of? No?"

No idea.

We could try being logical about it. The system has to be "operational" for 21 million people "from Spring 2013", see notice in OJEU,

http://ted.europa.eu/udl?uri=TED:NOTICE:68791-2012:TEXT:EN:HTML&src=0.

Where are you going to register 21 million people?

You need a national network of premises. Bank branches (RBS and Lloyds)? Retailers (Tesco and Sainsbury's)?

But there's only £25 million on the table to do the job, so why be logical?

(Incidentally, do you notice something? No biometrics.)

ACx

Online? Are these twats paying for internet connections for the unemployed, not to mention a computer to use it?

Careful, you'll start the "is the internet a human right/basic need" argument again...

Bronze badge

No, the government are expecting people to use the computers in their local library...

Unhappy

What local library? Aren't they getting a little thin on the ground these days?

Silver badge
Unhappy

I was wrong

It's even worse that I thought, as the other previous commentards seem to have noticed.

Gold badge
Thumb Down

What could possibly go wrong?

Hmm.

Anonymous Coward

Don't you worry your fair head about it, good sir

All we have to do to find out, is to sit back and watch this train wreck do its thing. Now, isn't that intuitive and easy to do?

Coat

Re: What could possibly go wrong?

What do you mean "possibly" ?, it's a government IT project.

Mines the one with the BuSab id in the pocket.

Anonymous Coward

Credit report outfit Experian is on the list,

Considering after signing up to credit expert my email suddenly mysteriously began to fill up with spam, and I began getting junk mail from credit card companies letting me know I've been pre-approved. I don't want any of my details remotely near them.

Anonymous Coward

Awww... did someone forget to tick the box saying no to marketing...

Experian will not send out any data unless you have agreed to it somewhere - I guess you should read the small print.

Anonymous as I used to work there...

Anonymous Coward

"Awww... did someone forget to tick the box saying no to marketing..."

You think companies pay any attention to that box? Every on line transaction I do involves me ticking a box for "No spam please, I'm British", and a week or so later I start getting spam from said companies.

To be fair, most do seem to react to "unsubscribe" requests, but I don't believe that the first opt out tick box makes a blind bit of difference. And in their place, I'd work on the basis of setting it up that way, and only change it if if the ICO came and felt my collar.

This topic is closed for new posts.