back to article Oracle: Get your Red Hat Linux patches from us, it's easier

In the latest episode in its ongoing pissing match with leading Linux vendor Red Hat, Oracle has set up a new service that allows Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) customers to more easily browse the source code of changes Red Hat has made to its version of the Linux kernel. Called RedPatch, the new service is a Git repository …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Go Larry. Go Larry.

Stop

Anyone who thinks they are getting anything from Larry Evil for free...

Please Larry, stop buggering computing for everyone, you made databases an unutterable horror with Horrorcle server and endless incompatible versions of the client bloatware, you took Solaris users from behind, you have made Java a gigantic unmaintained security hole, you have turned VirtualBox into a load of bollox, please please please don't Larry Linux as well.

Perhaps what those of us using Linux should do is set up an Oracle "Leave it the feck alone" contract where we pay Larry Evil a few $100 per year per box to leave Linux alone and not ruin that too? Let's face it everything Oracle touches turns into a steaming pile of, well, Oracle, we should treat them the way we treat FTSE100 CEOs, pay them handsomely to sod off and stop screwing up.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Anyone who thinks they are getting anything from Larry Evil for free...

What's wrong with VirtualBox? I've never had any problems...

Anonymous Coward

Re: Anyone who thinks they are getting anything from Larry Evil for free...

Er... it was a genuine question but thanks for the downvote... ass.

Re: What's wrong with VirtualBox

VB used to be great, I really liked it but in the last year I have had too many Virtual Machines eaten during operations such as merging or reverting to a snapshot that I simply dare not use them any more. As you can probably tell, I am not very happy about this.

OK, you can sometimes get them back by copying the entire image, using the command line repair tools and mounting it as a new VM but frankly, compared to Qemu/KVM or even VMWare (Fusion for me on the laptop) VB is just too much work and too flaky, I don't have the hours to burn undoing the damage it has done.

Oh, and I have no idea why your post got voted down either, it's only MP's rental agreements we are not allowed to ask questions about.

Anonymous Coward

Go on RH

Pop a solaris kernel with ZFS & dtrace under RH userland...

Anonymous Coward

Oracle's RHEL update service?

"For most people who work in the kernel this is merely an inconvenience"

translation: Seeing as we lack any sense of business ethics it's easier for us to steal Red Hats patch service and steal their down-stream customers.

The simplest solution for Red Hat, is to provide access to the patches to registered customers only, after all "Oracle Linux" is a totally independent product isn't it?

Anonymous Coward

Re: Oracle's RHEL update service?

Wouldn't that violate the GPL?

Vic
Silver badge

> Wouldn't that violate the GPL?

If RH offered access to patches only to customers, yes it would.

If RH offered access to their changelogs - i.e.their patch breakdown - only to customers, then no it wouldn't, so long as the aggregate patchset was available to all.

But it all makes little difference anyway. RH has forced Oracle to do its own homework, and Oracle is now doing it. Either RH will now abandon its rollup policy (which I'd like), or else anyone who needs the info can go and look at ORacle's site.

But Oracle still isn't going to win customers with this, because few people actually *trust* them to do the Right Thing with Linux...

Vic.

Oracle is probably a RedHat linux customer with one and only one license. Therefore, in every religious manner, they are stealing RedHats livelihood. Despicable is what Oracle actions are.

Vic
Silver badge

> in every religious manner, they are stealing RedHats livelihood.

Please go and read the GPL before you start spouting off such tosh.

Vic.

Pirate

Getting your RedHat patches from Oracle

has got to be like getting your sex from a whore who is covered in cold sores and scabs.

"most current Oracle Linux users are customers who had existing Oracle support contracts and who migrated their Linux support to Oracle mainly out of convenience."

I think this is the most un-informet statement ever. No, they didn't move it "for convinience". The BEANCOUNTERS moved it for convinience. ANYONE who as to deal with the actual support will have found it the worst decision ever. Trying to get useful support from Oracle is like trying to get a strait, honest and clear reply from a politician, so "convinience" as nothing to do with it, from the IT perspective anyway.

Oracle stealing from RedHat

Oracle is a Red Hat customer, but wants to provide patches to Red Hat Linux. RedHat linux patches are for supporting Red Hat products.

What Ellison is doing is stealing and whoring. In all fairness, RedHat and others should promote SQL software in direct competition to Oracle, and should also provide Oracle patches, at a substantial lower price than that originating from Oracle itself.

If you steal a persons food, you are despicable. Anyone who stays with Oracle contributes to an immoral company

Vic
Silver badge

Re: Oracle stealing from RedHat

> What Ellison is doing is stealing and whoring

Not it is not.

Oracle is *entitled* to do this. It is legal.

Oracle's motives are extremely suspicious, but you are simply wrong to say that this is theft - it is not. Oracle has a licence to convey these patches, as do I, as do you.

For once, Oracle is even shifting on some of its own work, to boot.

Vic.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums