Feeds

back to article Star Wars VII: The Disney Movie signs Toy Story III script genius

Disney's newest, shiniest cash-cow, Star Wars VII, has picked up a writer in the shape of Little Miss Sunshine director Michael Arndt. The Hunger Games II scribe, who has also recently co-written a sci-fi movie for Tom Cruise, has apparently been working on a "treatment" for the movie for a couple of months, The Hollywood …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Windows

I wonder if the move to Disney means they'll get round to making those prequels that were touted after Return of the Jedi, which we all know is the THIRD STAR WARS FILM AND THE LAST ONE EVER MADE!

Anonymous Coward

I think you mean sequels?

4, 5 and 6 - Original Star Wars films.

1, 2 and 3 - Awful pre-quels.

and Disney will make: 7, 8, 9, 10 all the way to infinity, sequels is the correct word.

@ AC

...whoosh!

Besides...how do you shoot the sequels when:

- The emperor is dead

- Darth Vader is dead

- The death star is....errr...dead

- The master star destroyer and the chain of command is dead

- The ewoks are dead...no wait. Damn.

Re: @ AC

There's an awful lot of After RotJ books that are officially Canon - well, that is to say, they /were/... they could do a lot worse than make Timothy Zahn's Thrawn trilogy...

Palp[atine, Vader and the Second Death Star may be gone, but by no means were all of the Empire's forces destroyed at Endor. Now, various Admirals etc, each with their own fleet, are warlords, vying to either unite the remnants of the Empire under themselves, or hold onto their own feifdoms. At the same time, you have the Rebel Alliance forming the New Republic, Luke going renegade and back again trying to resurrect the Jedi order... there's plenty that could be done.

I just hope they don't invalidate the twenty-odd years of post- RotJ canon with the kind of twoddle Eps 1-3 inflicted upon the saga....

Anonymous Coward

Return of the Jedi was awful.

At the rate of sounding like a complete nerd (and in my defense my son loves this stuff) Star wars has a story that goes on beyond the films (there were 9 in total of the books). So there is easily a story that could carry on.

For me I'm just glad Speilberg is not directing it. So tired of his cliche ridden storytelling that can ruin any film. His last good film was Schindlers list. Every film since ET has the 'kids saving the world' cliche . And War of the worlds started immensly, and about half way through turns into an awful film.

Get Joss wheedon to direct (Co-incidentally he co-wrote Toy Story) and Michel Ardnt to write and you have the makings of a good film. Time for some of the tired old Hollywood hands to make way for some new hotshots...

Bronze badge
Alert

Is the Emperor dead?

It was very much implied in other Star Was Sagas (Post RotJ), that the Emperor had managed to make good his escape. Yeah I'm referencing that awful Droidz Cartoon of the mid-late '80s that were part of the Cartoon marathons that the likes of ABC, NBC and CBS used to show back then.

I think it might have also been referenced in that gawd awful Ewoks Christmas Movie as well.

Sadly I have no idea if this is more canon in the Books post RotJ though.

And they managed to rebuild the second Deathstar during TESB so they've had more then enough time to have built a Third or Thousands of 'em by now.

And as much as you all hate Jar-Jar.... I FLIPPN' HATE THOSE FRICKIN' EWOKS.

So can we just forget about Jar-Jar now please???

FAIL

Thrawn Trilogy? I can live without Force repelling furry tree lizards thankyouverymuch.

In the books (post-ROTJ), there was a clone Emperor...

FAIL

Yes. Also, no.

According to the ghastly train-wreck which is Star Wars canon, Palpatine did indeed die when he fell down that shaft (and then got exploded). Unfortunately he didn't stay dead. The various Star Wars novel writers brought him back from the dead so often they might as well have installed a revolving door --- I believe at one point there was a mechanism where if he died he simply body surfed into a waiting clone body, but by that point I'd failed to care.

If you're interested in the Star Wars novels, I'd recommend the Timothy Zahn _Thrawn_ trilogy for being (a) quite good, (b) actually written in the Star Wars ethos, and (c) having a villain who is actually interesting, being neither villainous nor incompetent. Curiosity beyond those can easily be satisfied by browsing Wookiepedia.

Anonymous Coward

Besides...how do you shoot the sequels when:

- The emperor is dead

- Darth Vader is dead

- The death star is....errr...dead

- The master star destroyer and the chain of command is dead

- The ewoks are dead...no wait. Damn.

Have you never read a book man? After the movies the emperor's cloning project is still running, complete with Palpatine and Luke Skywalker clones, the best military mind in the empire is still out there, as are all the Dark Jedi Palpatine secretly trained, and the Noghri wil gladly finish off the Ewoks for you if you can get Leia to say in passing that they're annoying little fuzzballs.

There's so much more of the universe for Disney to screw up than the movies.

FAIL

HAN SHOT FIRST DAMMIT!

What are these 1, 2 and 3 prequels you are talking about? There have only been three Star Wars films made. Everybody knows that.

My biggest concern is that they *actually* restore the film and nos fuck about with them. I mean, making so Greedo shot first. I ask ask you!

Facepalm

He survives in the books. His body is destroyed but his force spirit returns to a clone body. Of which he has a few. Also, just becouse 1 super start destroyer is gone, doesnt discount the many others each heading up massive fleets. Except Lusankya, which they buried.

I'm voting Black Fleet Crisis. Loved that trilogy.

Silver badge
Paris Hilton

Emperor in a clone body

If I looked like the Emperor did, had clone bodies laying around, and had the ability to enter one if I died, I'd have had Vader kill me well before he did at the end of the 3rd episode so I could quit looking like the victim of an acid spill. Seriously, how are you going to get girls looking like that? I mean, c'mon, what's the point of being a Galactic Emperor if it doesn't get you laid?

Paris, because even she wouldn't hookup with someone looking like that.

Joke

Re: @ AC - Somewhat Off Topic

"According to the ghastly train-wreck which is Star Wars canon, ..."

Have you ever read any 40K novels?

Colin

Joke

Re: @ AC - Somewhat Off Topic

in the defence of 40k novels they are written for 14 year old boys, unlike star wars...........oh hang on......

Anonymous Coward

I'm waiting for someone to call it a "reboot". Except that when you reboot your computer you don't generally find that much of it has massively changed, unless you have just upgraded the OS.

The dark side was no more at the end of Return of the Jedi, so it will fun to see how they bring it back. Perhaps with a Dallas shower scene? (it was all a dream).

Facepalm

I sense a disturbance in the Force...

I have a bad feeling about this...

Silver badge
Happy

Re: I sense a disturbance in the Force...

But will Mr. Plinkett do a followup?

Bronze badge

Re: I sense a disturbance in the Force...

as if millions of fans suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened.

Thumb Up

I'm actually looking forward to it.

Cautiously optimistic.

Put me down as one of the 'cautiously optimistic'. Disney have done a good job with Marvel since they aquired it and I think they stand a good chance of doing the same with Star Wars.

Childcatcher

Re: Cautiously optimistic.

Me too. They can't do any worse than Lucas already had with his prequels. Though (and I'm wearing my flame proof suit now) I actually like Revenge of the Sith. Except for using the word 'younglings'. Makes me want to punch an oldling!!

Meh

Why conjure up a host of new characters no-one cares about?

The Timothy Zahn series featuring Mara Jade and the sublime Admiral Thrawn would make a fantastic film series, while still featuring all the old familiar names.

Re: Why conjure up a host of new characters no-one cares about?

Yeah, those books were excellent! Kevin J Anderson did a good series as well, "Jedi Academy" which would provide a natural way to introduce new characters.

One of the really good things about he disney/lucas stuff is that ive started reading Heir to the Empire again. That Thrawn, such a sneaky chap.

Rob
Bronze badge

Books

It would be nice if the newer films carried on with the books that pick up where Return of the Jedi left off. I've read a few and they extend the universe nicely.

Might be time to add them to my Kindle list now you mention it.

Silver badge
Happy

Kick Ass....

director Matthew Vaughn has also been associated with this.

Now, a Star Wars episode along the lines of Kick Ass or Layer Cake has some promise.

Silver badge

"and Steven Spielberg have declared that they will not direct a Disney Star Wars," --Still waiting for the day that Spielberg gives up ruining good adult stories with family-focussed movie direction.

I just replied that to the same effect. Star wars with Speilberg , probably would have an ewok as the leading character. I mean AI . ... Wow.

Yeah, I couldn't believe all the guns that got replaced with walkie talkies in Schindlers List!

Thumb Up

JOSS WHEDON!

JOSS WHEDON!

Silver badge
Trollface

As long as they show Jar-Jar-Binks being evicerated.............

...................very, very slowly I will be content.

Silver badge
Thumb Up

Re: As long as they show Jar-Jar-Binks being evicerated.............

DIY:-

A subtle editing of scenes from Phantom Menace and Braveheart should do it.

Joke

Jar-Jar snuff movies will be very popular, Jar-Jar gets donkey punched by a Rancor is one that would be a suitable short for the discerning viewer.

Vic
Silver badge

> I will be content.

There used to be a good Jar Jar scene on asciimation - I'm not sure if it's still there because it doesn't seem to work from where I am right now...

Vic.

Bronze badge
Coffee/keyboard

@Efros Re: As long as they show Jar-Jar-Binks being evicerated.............

...Jar-Jar gets donkey punched by a Rancor...

You sir, owe me a keyboard!

Joke

Lets all do the hotdog dance!

...with light sabres!

And if you know what the hotdog dance is...you are officially in hell, and you have my condolences.

Rob
Bronze badge
Unhappy

Re: Lets all do the hotdog dance!

Thankyou - thanks to my 3yr old son I have been suffering from heat exhaustion for at least 3 months now.

Silver badge
Joke

Star Wars VII: Rise of the Gungans!

Which of course will also feature lots of singing and dancing.

Silver badge
Happy

Re: Star Wars VII: Rise of the Gungans!

Gungan Style ?

Silver badge
Trollface

What kind of sick, twisted minds do you two have to inflict such ideas on people.

Oppan Gungan Style....sheesh. What's the world coming to?

Coat

I'm sorry....I'm so, so sorry....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QVGXxQnsm4

Gold badge
Coat

JJ Abrams

".....he thinks he'll be going to Star Wars "as a paying moviegoer"."

Ah, preorders. That's encouraging for Disney.

LDS
Silver badge

JJ Abrams: the author of that ST reboot called "morons in space"?

Guess Lucas made enough damage to SW - if the add JJ Abrams they're dead. What life did he pump into ST? Those of some morons appealing to actual earthly ones? The whole problem of sci-fi it has good writers today - just people like Abrams who think they are very clever guys when they don't have a clue about readl *sci*-fi actually. Some games have better scripts.

Unfortunately

it has been reported that the beardy one himself will still be involved as the producer, this does not bode well.....

Re: Unfortunately

But, with any luck, he can hopefully be overruled.

Stop

Re: Unfortunately

I read that Lucas will be involved as a creative consultant, nothing more.

Remember that Lucas said he was retiring from making 'big' movies as he was sick of the negativity and drama. Instead, he's focussing more on independent productions.

Silver badge

For an alternative analysis ....

... see South Park season: 16 episode:14; available from 'various sources' since last Thursday morning.

Facepalm

oh dear

to stupidity and beyond!

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.