back to article Walmart workers filmed playing iPad frisbee

Four Walmart employees were said to have been sacked this week after filming themselves deliberately throwing what they claim are boxed iPads around one of the supermarket chain's stockrooms. The workers, from Walmart's Pikeville, Kentucky store, can be seen lobbing boxes carelessly around the room. “This is why you don’t buy …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. FartingHippo
    Coat

Idiots

The corners aren't thatround!

1. Bob Vistakin
      WTF?

Re: Idiots

There was a similar thing about the Dominos staff picking their noses on pizzas, yet they somehow did a masterful job of erasing that and you can hardly find a mention of it now. I did, though:

http://www.blippitt.com/video-disgusting-dominos-pizza-employee-picks-nose-abuses-food/

2. Arachnoid
    Thumb Down

Hmm not something you would want appearing on your CV or to just appear on your Facebook page as your prospective new employer was looking it over.

3. Scott Pedigo
    Facepalm

Broke?

The iPads aren't the only things which are presumably now broke.

4. An ominous cow herd

As they say...

"An idiot and his job are soon parted"

1. Andrew_b65

Re: As they say...

That's not even security camera footage. I reckon those idiots filmed it themselves in iPortrait video format on their very own iDumb.

2. Turtle

""An idiot and his job are soon parted""

Sadly this is not always true and maybe not even often true. And the world might well be a better place if it was.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

""An idiot and his job are soon parted""

Not in the public sector. At least, only parted for a 'manager' post where they can do less harm.

3. John H Woods Silver badge

"An idiot and his job are soon parted"

I think you'll find that only applies below 50k p.a.

4. Dropper
      Facepalm

George Bush kept his job for 8 years.. just sayin'

5. eSeM

I thought iPads would fly better than that.

6. chris lively

Walmart is famous for the number of security cameras they have trained on their own employees.

My question is: why were these idiots still employed by the time the video hit the net?

7. SuccessCase

When the first iPad came out, I pre-ordered it. On the day it was delivered by UPS and for some reason there were two men in the delivery van. I saw one of the guys throw my iPad box to the other one, who caught it fine. However on being given the box it had a sizable dent in the corner and on opening it the corner of the iPad was bent out of shape - so it must have been quite some impact that did it at an earlier time. I didn't see the delivery guys drop it so couldn't be sure it was them that did it, but having witnessed their careless attitude, there was a chance it was done when loading up the van. I was seething, especially as it was out of stock and the replacement took 3 weeks to arrive.

1. Kevin 6

only a dent?

I remember one guy years ago that I used to hang out with ordered a motherboard and had it delivered via UPS. The box had 2 tire marks on it and was completely crushed.

1. JeffyPooh
        Pint

Round here they just drive up in a tiny little car, get out and hand you a card that reads "You weren't home. Please drop by to pick up your package. Bring $87 for the 'Brokerage Fee'."

1. wowfood

Glad that doesn't just happen to me. Can't count the number of times I've been sat downstairs waiting for a doorbell to ring so I can sign for my package, only to give up waiting, get ready to go to the corner store and find a "You weren't in to collect your delivery" slip sat in the letterbox.

Or the equally annoying. "Ding Dong" followed by watching the postman walk back to the van before the bell has even finished ringing.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

The number of times I've had those "You weren't in.." cards slipped through my letterbox even though I was in, deliberately listening for the sodding door bell is enough to make a grown man cry. I'm self employed, working from home so I always keep an ear out if I know a package is coming and I'll have to sign. Going down to the sorting office is just a waste of my time. One time I heard the clank as the card came through the door (there was no knock or ring of the bell), I quickly got my shoes on and ran after him down the street with said card, only to be told he hadn't even bothered to bring the package with him on his walk...

2. Psyx
            Pint

"Can't count the number of times I've been sat downstairs waiting for a doorbell to ring so I can sign for my package, only to give up waiting, get ready to go to the corner store and find a "You weren't in to collect your delivery" slip sat in the letterbox."

If you need it right now;

But they've lost it somehow:

That's logistics.

When you go for a sh1t;

Is when they'll try to deliver it:

That's logistics.

2. LateNightLarry
        FAIL

Delivery drivers...

Last Christmas there was a video which went viral of a FedEX driver heaving a 24" monitor over the fence of an estate type home somewhere in the US... The owner of the house has a video security system which showed the driver pull up, get out of the truck, and heave the box over the fence... Owner of the house complained to a regional manager at FedEx, and the manager himself delivered a new monitor to the owner of the house... and walked it to the front door. FedEx wouldn't name the employee, and wouldn't say what, if any, punishment he received. Since FedEx drivers are non-union, I would imagine that someone got their walking papers, and the cost of the broken monitor was taken from his final paycheck.

MAJOR fail for the driver...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Pretty dumb and won't probably cost Apple - more likely UPS or their insurance.

8. Albert Hall

See, it just works!

Please see title.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No problems...

... they can always get a job working for the Royal Mail...

1. Nanners
      Thumb Up

Re: No problems...

Yep, I am in the states, but that royal mail of yours has crushed, bent, stomped, and thrown my dreams and money on more than one occasion. What's up with that? Try to collect the insurance, it won't happen. They just ignore you till you go away!

10. pɹɐʍoɔ snoɯʎuouɐ
    Trollface

according to apple....

according to apple they are flying off the shelves anyway !!!

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Supply chain...

It must make the logistics people weep: all those components, all that careful manufacture, shipping thousands of miles across the world... just so that a Walmart walrus can fuck it up.

12. ItsNotMe
    FAIL

And their generation are the future leaders of the country?

God help us all.

13. Jones

Walmart

Watch for falling iPads

14. FanMan
    Pirate

Stuff Wars I: The resistance begins

Maybe the beginning of revolt against the alienation inherent in consumer culture. Respect due.

1. Armando 123

Re: Stuff Wars I: The resistance begins

We're talking Walmart people. The only culture they have gets analyzed in petri dishes.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nothing to see here...

Having spent a short stint working at UPS I can say this sort of thing is pretty much par for the course in logistics. Our sort and load staff threw, kicked, and deliberately dropped things all the time. Similarly, I've seen many warehouse employees and shipping/receiving drones engaged in such activities. These people are almost universally underpaid and made to work in conditions that are at the very least unpleasant (IE: conditions that create resentment). These folks also generally have very little opportunity for advancement in their company. Background checks are minimal at best, as companies have a hard time filling such positions. I don't think that justifies these sorts of actions by any stretch, but there is nothing surprising here. Well I guess I am surprised these guys were dumb enough to film themselves doing it, but that's about it.

Tips to avoid this:

-Don't put "Fragile" or any other such thing on a box EVER!!!

-Ship expensive things in a plain looking box (not one that says iPad, Dell, Cisco, etc.)

-Put at least 2 large and clear shipping labels on the box (no flipping to find it)

-Completely cover any old shipping lables

-Don't put arrows pointing to the correct orientation of the box

-Ship small heavy things in larger boxes

-Just assume they will be doing this and pack your shipment accordingly

-If bubble-wrap/packing peanuts are cheaper than replacing your shipment, use more. No, waaaaay more!

AC for obvious reasons.

1. Gene Cash Silver badge
      WTF?

Re: Nothing to see here...

Don't see why this is downvoted... it's the truth.

1. wowfood

Don't see why this is downvoted... it's the truth.

probably downvoted by somebody who works in logistics.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"probably downvoted by somebody who works in logistics."

Doubt it. Most people who work in logistics will freely admit they're underpaid, poorly managed and no longer give a shit.

2. Bad Beaver
      Thumb Up

Upvoted

Having once witnessed a young DHL-lad unload his truck in a "timely fashion" I wholeheartedly second ever word the AC uttered here. Corporate (and general) greed turned these people into modern slaves that "live" on wages you would not raise an eyelid for. It would be delusional idealism to expect any sort of decent work ethic. Pack stuff well and use insured shipping.

1. Gaius
        FAIL

Re: Upvoted

Corporate greed? Or greed of consumers shopping around for the lowest price and free shipping?

We have seen the enemy, and he is us.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Don't put "Fragile" or any other such thing on a box EVER!!!"

As a student in the 1960s I did Chritsmas Post casual work for the Royal Mail. In the sorting office some of the permanent staff would rugby kick any package marked "Fragile" high into the air towards a basket.

1. Wensleydale Cheese

"Don't put "Fragile" or any other such thing on a box EVER!!!"

One of my student holiday jobs involved collecting goods from an early morning train.

Anything marked Fragile was thrown rather than carried off the train.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Let's just hope it's your sh*t they smash up next time.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

When I worked for the post office in the 1960s, any package with a label on it stating 'Photographs - do not bend' was promptly folded and a message in marker pen was added 'Oh yes they do!' lol

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Ship small heavy things in larger boxes.

That jut makes me want to get a fairly large box, a load of lead weights, and to strategically place bits they can get a grip with on the box so I can weaken one edge. End result being a lead weight falling onto somebodies foot.

>.>

5. Barry Rueger

Good rule of thumb: pack everything so that it can drop off the back of a truck (4 feet) without damage.

6. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I have put fragile on packages many times; almost always when fragile items are not in it. It is usually because I have another package that does have fragile items in it. This way, they see the fragile package and take their angst out on it while keeping the other package safe.

7. Lance 3

Fragile...is that Italian?

Fragile you say? is that Italian?

1. TeeCee Gold badge
        Coat

Re: Fragile...is that Italian?

Old-as-the-hills industry gag: "Ah, it says 'Fragile'[1]. That's where all the rattly parcels come from..."

[1] To rhyme with "Chile".....

8. LateNightLarry
      Pint

Very appropriate except for one thing... when shipping with USPS, only place the address on one side... The reason is that if the clerk sorting the parcel doesn't see the postage next to the address label, they may treat it as unpaid, and charge the recipient...

WINE glass please...

16. s. pam Silver badge
    FAIL

Cruddy place to work, what else are the inbreeds to do?

Just go onto Gawker and search for "Life-at-Walmart" to see what a soul-sucking company they really are.

The PR folks would have sued to get the stories down if they were untrue, so grab a bottle of absinthe and have a read!

17. Christian Berger
    FAIL

Yes, but those are portable devices

They must tolerate being dropped from a typical holding position without any packaging. That's the typical use case. In their original packaging, they must withstand a lot more.

I mean there are standards for this. And many companies check for such things.

18. Mark Allen
    Facepalm

Drop Kick Test

Anything I ship via any postal system or courier I make sure the product is wrapped enough to pass the "Drop Kick Test". If I am happy to boot my own box across the driveway, then I know it is wrapped well. Bubble wrap is cheap. Use it by the ton.

My neighbour once witnessed a courier attempt to deliver a box to my door. I was not home, so courier threw the box back into his van. It bounced off of at least three walls before landing on the floor. In the small box? A hard disk!!

19. Earl Jones Of Potatoes
    Joke

android users

Perhaps they are android enthusiast..... The ones i know have similar jobs but when they talk, oh boy, they know it all. I mean, THEY KNOW IT ALL!

1. wowfood
      Joke

Re: android users

Classic misdirection. They're actually Apple™ fans, but they're acting that way to make people THINK they're android enthusiasts. The box is probably empty, or they swapped the iPad out for a galaxy tab since they're identical.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like