DataDirect Networks has announced its SFA7700 hybrid flash and disk drive scale-out filer appliance for Big Data and high-performance computing-type applications. It's the latest in a series of Big Data announcements that take into account the convergement trend, and DDN must be hoping that its latest beastly appliance can hold …
That drawer looks strikingly familiar - either a Xyratex or Nexsan product with different front panel
vertically mounted drives
Interesting that the drives are "end on vertical" mounted.
I was told by a hard drive manufacturer (not a SAN/NAS vendor) that mounting hard drives "end on vertically", as opposed to flat or side on vertically, gave a higher failure rate....
Anyone else hear (or experience) that?
Re: vertically mounted drives
Vertically mounted drives are standard in all high-density SAN models for years now and I think that "hard drive manufacturer" buddy was talking out of his bottom part but I'm pretty sure he wasn't from the main supplier of enterprise drives (= Seagate w/ Constellation for SATA, Savvio for SAS.)
- Product round-up Ten excellent FREE PC apps to brighten your Windows
- Analysis Pity the poor Windows developer: The tools for desktop development are in disarray
- Chromecast video on UK, Euro TVs hertz so badly it makes us judder – but Google 'won't fix'
- Product round-up Ten Mac freeware apps for your new Apple baby
- Product round-up The Glorious Resolution: Feast your eyes on 5 HiDPI laptops