Feeds

back to article Apple iPad 4 Wi-Fi only tablet review

I didn’t get the iPad at first. When the tablet was first announced, I was interested but couldn’t see the value to me. I had an e-book reader, I had a phone on which I could watch films while travelling and listen to music, and I had a laptop for everything else. Why, I wondered, did I need a tablet too? I was happy to take …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Happy Bunny

I purchased the iPad 3 a couple of weeks before the 4 came out

A little miffed, I called Apple and they happily agreed to swap it for a 4

Try that at PC World

Anonymous Coward

Re: Happy Bunny

Try that with your Samsung = no way.

Trollface

I purchased the iPad 3 a couple of weeks before the 4 came out. The markup that Apple had put on the iPad 3 was greater than the cost to them of an iPad 4. So they gave me an iPad 4, knowing they were still up on the deal, and that another person they had rinsed of cash would now be singing their praises on the internets.

The greatest trick the devil every pulled was to convince the world he wasn't ripping them off.

Paris Hilton

So, you have the reference from iSuppli or whoever detailing the BoM cost of the iPad 4?

This would appear to be a necessary requirement for you assertion.

Paris: Because she is not

Bronze badge
Coat

Re: Try that at PC World

> Try that at PC World

Okay, send me your iPad and I'll gladly give it a go

Anonymous Coward

Why would Samsung replace an iPad?

Of course I don't need to do that with the Samsung products I have, since I already have all of the latest tech in the device to statr with.YMMV of course, but I prefer the approach of putting it in to start with, rather than artificially holding back until the next release...

Boffin

It's not like Apple won't just resell your old Ipad3 tablet to someone else. They are making such great profits off each device that keeping you in the collective and buying through their stores is where the true money is for Apple and they want to keep you as a customer. It was just a smart decision since their marketplace is where they really make the money. A 30% slice of everything you purchase adds up over your one life-time.

Please don't be offended, but It's seemingly innocent/naive consumers such as yourself who don't seem to fully understand the mufti-dimensional ways that apple generates revenue. Apple could mark down their products 100-200 and still be profitable. They just know that their consumers are more willing to spend the money. Any company would be foolish not to take advantage of that opportunity. This is why Amazon is selling their tablets for cost/little profit. The money is in the buying of content and products within their own marketplace and Amazon needed to be competitive against Apples draw. This is how Harley Davidson motorcycles cost more than other brands. Brand recognition adds value.

Why do you think all Cell providers routinely subsidize the full cost of a cell phones on their network? It's because the money is not in the hardware...its in the continued monthly service charges.

I am glad that Apple worked with you and that you are happy with your purchase/service. It's always good when any consumer is happy with their choice/purchase. If you feel its money well spent, then I am happy for you. At the end of the day, that what matters. Is each consumer happy with their choice/selection.

Best wishes,

Anonymous Coward

When you see the speed benchmarks you can see what you get for your money. While the Nexus 7 is cheap it's also massively slow and running a notoriously clunky mobile OS (who needs quad core on a phone? erm Android users).

Silver badge

Just for the record, Nexus 7 is not slow and Android is not clunky. You should try them sometime.

Thumb Up

+1 to the above...

...to counter the downvote that it's been given. The statement is entirely true, and I don't actually understand the mentality of anyone who would downvote it.

Re: +1 to the above...

I don't think Android OS is "clunky". If you want to be critical of Android then it is the fragmentation of the OS and devices by various hardware manufacturers and telecoms operators that is the problem.

massively slow?

considering it is roughly 70% faster than the ipad 3 I would call that pretty damn quick. And Jellybean is just as slick as iOS. Quadcore? well that would be for those people who actually want multiple processes running at the same time, something iOS is rather bad at.

Anonymous Coward

I have iOS and a colleague has Android - he is constantly having to tinker to get it to work, updated are slow to arrive and when it went wrong it was away for 3 weeks. I find doing similar tasks there are more and better apps and it just works. I dropped mine and dislodged the camera - back to the Apple store - 20 minutes later (not even time for a coffee) and it's fixed = happy bunny.

For me I don't want to waste my time tinkering - I want to watch media, play games, email and web and for that iOS is perfect. I can give it my dad and there is zero learning curve.

FAIL

Congratulations

you have fallen for Apple's Android FUD...

Anonymous Coward

I can give it my dad and there is zero learning curve.

Fucking good job, you obviously need to be learning English not smart phone.

Silver badge

Re: I can give it my dad and there is zero learning curve.

>Just for the record, Nexus 7 is not slow and Android is not clunky.

I don't find Android clunky on my phone (Ice Cream Sandwich) but until Jelly Bean it has had significantly higher latency than iOS. For most users this doesn't matter, but for music creation applications it does - they need to hear a note at the same time as pressing a virtual key. Some developers of music creation apps for OSX have now started thinking about Android now that Jelly Bean is here.

This is admittedly a niche use (90% of users happy with internet and videos, perhaps), but then Apple survived the nineties by giving essential features to niche markets, such as DTP or music creation. The latter continued into OSX with its CoreAudio, and features they bought in for DTP (such as FireWire) made them attractive to video editors. Again, fairly niche.

No not everyone "needs" quad core, but better to have it available if you do - and if you knew anything about how this stuff works, you'd also realise that more cores can improve battery life in some scenarios too.

I'm quite happy with my "nobody needs a phone bigger than ours until we make ours bigger" Samsung Galaxy Note 2 thanks.

Mushroom

"he is constantly having to tinker to get it to work"

Then I can only assume he has either a defective phone or is an utter moron.

Anonymous Coward

Re: "he is constantly having to tinker to get it to work"

> Then I can only assume he has either a defective phone or is an utter moron.

or alternatively he is managing to get it to do things it wasn't supported to do, but he finds useful.

Boffin

Phone OS 101 for Dummies....

Perhaps you should upgrade (next gen just around the corner) and sell your old IProduct to him? You can then play in the same sandbox together and tease those not part of your club.

IOS IS a great OS for dummies. Even Steve Jobs helped by telling you how to hold your phone :-). It's true that Android dies have a learning curve for some, but if my 10 year old Nephew and 16 year old niece can figure it out, then maybe your colleague should be wearing a bib as well.

All teasing/banter aside, I do think that IOS is better for some users and I'm glad your enjoying your product and service. That's what really counts for us as consumers. Just understand there are many others who find the same enjoyment with large selection of Android products.

Best wishes,

Anonymous Coward

I'm impressed

You managed to get through the entire 3 page review without once mentioning its natural competitor, the Nexus 10. Kudos.

Anonymous Coward

Re: I'm impressed

There's no pleasing some people. The Nexus 10 is in the benchmarks and the higher res screen is mentioned. If Tony had spent the review explaining why he'd buy the iPad 4 over a Nexus 10 it would likely have generated 500+ pages of comments from frothing Android users who think Android should "win" at everything just because they own one.

Fail

The Nexus 10 is not in the benchmarks. The Nexus 7 and the Samsung Tab 10 are, but not the Nexus 10.

Not that this is a surprise, given that you can't actually buy one yet and I haven't seen a review of it that isn't based on a pre-production sample.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Fail

Android still lagging in performance...

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6426/ipad-4-gpu-performance-analyzed-powervr-sgx-554mp4-under-the-hood

Silver badge
Stop

You can get the Nexus 10 from where? Until they are actually available and you can compare the two it's a bit previous complaining that there's no comparison.

Re: Fail

Wierd - I can't see the two OSes running on the same hardware anywhere on there.. not sure how your assertion holds up.. Let me restate the assertion in a more accurate from - "For specific tasks, some hardware that has Android installed on it scores lower on a specific benchmark test than some completely different hardware running iOS".

Silver badge
Pint

"You managed to get through the entire 3 page review without once mentioning its natural competitor, the Nexus 10. Kudos."

Why would he? The first page is a general review of tablets, and generically alternative device types were mentioned several times.

All in all, I thought it was an excellent and informative review. It seemed a little apologetic in tone for liking the device, but I guess this is El Reg, and anything less would have resulted in a million comments calling the reviewer a fanboi and demanding their head on a plate!

I also think this is an excellent review, once of the best I've read for the new iPad. The point about not having a monopoly ecosystem is an important one - all through the IT world, systems are better if they have competition. And there's nothing wrong with liking Apple on a partly subjective basis. The subjectivity comes across as a lot more nuanced and well-grounded than Charles Arthur manages at the Guardian (a good journalist and a well-informed man, but manages to sound like a fanboy even when he's trying not to be).

FAIL

"more nuanced and well-grounded than Charles Arthur manages at the Guardian (a good journalist and a well-informed man, but manages to sound like a fanboy even when he's trying not to be)"

Charles Arthur is a rabid fanboi, in his iPad mini review he tried to justify the letterboxing on video content viewed on the 4:3 mini by including a screenshot of a Nexus 7 playing a 2.35:1 video and saying "look, it has big black borders too!" A tech editor who doesn't understand aspect ratios? C'mon....

Silver badge

Choice

Choice was mentioned a lot but the author seems not to know that you can choose which OS to run on your PC even if it comes with Windows preinstalled. You can get a refund of the cost of the windows license and install Linux or another version of Windows if you want. You can't choose OS X though.

Re: Choice

What bollox - I run Windows and OSX on my Mac comfortably

sure, but what if you wanted to run it on any other machine not manufactured by Apple. That is what he is referring to. Oh, and good luck installing the latest OSX on a mac from before 2005. Windows or Linux don't lack that sort of legacy support. That is hardly true to the definition of choice.

Anonymous Coward

They don't want to develop drivers, test compatibility etc etc etc for hardware they don't make. And they don't have to if they don't want to. If you don't like that, buy something else, but stop moaning about it, it's a conscious decision.

Anonymous Coward

Right, so we're not allowed to moan about "concious decisions". Hmm, that should quieten things down here considerably...

FAIL

"Oh, and good luck installing the latest OSX on a mac from before 2005."

Do you really think Windows 8 would install and run on lets say a Sony Vaio from 2005? Even if you could cobble the drivers together it wouldn't boot before the heat death of the sun.

"Windows or Linux don't lack that sort of legacy support."

Utter windows fanboy shite. Vista would barely boot on a brand new machine with a "Designed for Vista" sticker on the front when it was released. I'm still waiting for it to copy a 4Gig file I started off in Feb 2009.

Fair enough on your first point, but you should have left it at that. Holding up Windows as a model citizen makes you look like a shill.

Silver badge

You are allowed to moan about it, but it doesn't affect the vast majority of users. I've used G4 era machines recently, and though they haven't the latest OSX, they were still snappy and woke from sleep instantly- and were still fit for purpose. Okay, its version of OSX doesn't support all the latest fancy features, but then no seven year old computer would.

I'm normally a Windows user, and know that a seven year old PC would be groaning and lethargic if it hadn't had its OS reinstalled.

Why would I possibly want to run on a machine thats over 7 years old?

Jeez - maybe you work in the museum of creaky old rubbish - I don't

Silver badge
Flame

Moan Moan Moan

Nobody even moaned! And why would they - who'd want to run OS X on anything anyway?

Silver badge

>Why would I possibly want to run on a machine thats over 7 years old?

Anything that you would have done seven years ago. Email, web browsing, company accounts, storing photographs, editing family videos from a Sony camcorder, Photoshop and Illustrator... a dual G4 PowerMac can do these things without any fuss, and its all near-continuously backed up on a second physical disk.

Not everybody wants to run Crysis (or whatever it is the kids are doing these days).

Trollface

It is truly amazing...

for those who only want to do what apple let them...

Silver badge

Re: It is truly amazing...

If Apple let you do all the things you want to then that's not much of an issue... It's a consumer device.

Anonymous Coward

Hardly true - I can put all my music and video on there and I can play it on iPhones, iPads and on an Apple TV.

FAIL

good luck getting all that content back when Apple inevitably tank once people (and idiotic stockbrokers) wake up and smell the ashes of false innovation.

FAIL

Apple don't let me do all the things I want, and I am constantly finding out new things I cannot do. If you think it does everything you need it to then feel free to spend a fortune on a limited device.

Silver badge
Facepalm

Re: SuperTim

Well sounds like you brought the wrong device and should have taken a little more care when deciding what to buy. The fact other people don't have your requirements means that an iPhone can still be the perfect device for them. Maybe you should concentrate on sorting yourself out before you start sneering at others who are happy with their choices. You're the one who's spent a fortune on a device that doesn't satisfy your requirements.

WTF?

Re: SuperTim

What can't you do exactly? Get a virus? Install conflicting apps? Resell it 3 years on for most of what you paid for it? Get it replaced almost instantly if it breaks? What?

Silver badge

>If Apple let you do all the things you want to then that's not much of an issue... It's a consumer device.

It's horses for courses, Tim... there are things that Windows doesn't let you do, or if it does it makes you jump through some ridiculous hoops first... try changing the default MIDI device on Windows 7, for example, or using more than a handful of ASIO channels.

And as someone who provides informal tech support to an enthusiastic but novice Windows user, I wish that Windows hid its sensitive bits from his clumsy fumblings.

Bronze badge
Stop

It sometimes does - set him up as a LIMITED user and UAC will stop him making system-wide changes.

Bronze badge
Boffin

@dotslash - "good luck getting all that content back when Apple inevitably tank..."

Considering what your username is, you appear to be a shill or a bit of an idiot.

OS X conforms to the Open Group UNIX 2003 Specification, so I would probably mount another volume, then cp or rsync the files I needed onto it.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.