Feeds

back to article Panasonic pulls Euro smartphone after just a year

Panasonic has become the latest Japanese tech giant to fall on hard times, announcing projected losses for 2012 of ¥765bn (£5.9bn) and a hasty decision to pull out of the European smartphone market after just a year. The firm persuaded four Japanese banks to loan it ¥600bn (£4.7bn) after announcing a record loss of ¥772.1bn (£ …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Bronze badge

International appeal..

>Japanese handset makers have historically struggled abroad

I'm not sure why this has to be the case for Android phones though. Sure the older "keitai" phones weren't exportable but I'm not sure why that would be the case for the Android phones being produced now. The Japanese carriers do slap on really nasty looking UI themes to the Android phones to make them more attractive to the keitai users but surely if that just ship plan old Android on the export models there isn't much difference between any of the other Android handsets on the market.

On the other hand even the local smart phone market is flooded with Korean handsets because the ones being produced by Japanese makers aren't specced high enough to present any competition. I wonder if the Japanese makers can't produce really nice Android phones because of a lack of local technology i.e. Japanese firms want to use Japanese chips but all of the big semiconductor makers got rolled into Renesas and although Renesas does have some ARM chips they don't have the sort of chips that TI, Samsung etc have.

Z80

What do they call Android phones if they don't call them keitai?

Maybe things have changed a bit since I was there at the beginning of this year but most of the Android phones I noticed people using were Sony ones.

Bronze badge

They are called "sumaho" - smart phone.

There are some low end handsets from Panasonic etc which the people that would have bought another keitai would have bought but the people being a smart phone because they want a smart phone are going for the Samsung units. I'm not sure how you saw lots of Sony phones as the carriers usually hide the brand of the domestic phones and ship them under their own brand. I.e. my KDDI IS06 is made by Pantech from Korea and my sister in laws IS04 (I think) is made by Panasonic. The only way to actually tell though is to pull the back cover off and look at the sticker under the battery.

This topic is closed for new posts.