Feeds

back to article MIT boffin's algorithm foresees Twitter's trendy future

An MIT professor has developed an algorithm to predict what's going to be big on Twitter before it's big on Twitter – for those that care about such things. Twitter will care, he predicts. Associate Professor Devavrat Shah and his student Stanislav Nikolov have created an algorithm that determines with 95% accuracy whether a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Go

The first step of Hari Seldon's Psychohistory I wonder?

Bronze badge

Hari Seldon's Psychohistory

Or as I like to call it, "Seldonomics"

Silver badge
WTF?

How about...

... #whogivesashit?

Anonymous Coward

I guess Twiiter is willing to wait the additional hours in order to be 100% sure :P

I would also guess that Twitter is able predict what will be trending well before they actually put it up as trending.

Bronze badge
Facepalm

Optional

Hmm...

Oh look #chickenoreggfirst is trending. I think I'll click on that and see why. Oh, I see, everyone's talking about how Shah & Co's algorithm preducted that #chickenoreggfirst would be trending.

Or is it more likely to be a case of "#something is trending. We predicted it would. Obviously we didn't tell you though, to avoid a chicken/egg scenario, but we definitely predicted it would, honest."

Silver badge

Does it work the other way too?

Does he know how to get a topic trending in the first place? Could be a lot of money in that one.

This topic is closed for new posts.