Feeds

back to article Mexico to Apple: You WILL NOT use the name 'iPhone' here

Apple has lost the right to use the word "iPhone" in Mexico after its trademark lawsuit against Mexican telco iFone backfired. Judges sitting in Mexico's 18th District Appellate Court have ruled that iFone is the only company allowed to use the "iPhone" or "iFone" brands in the North American country. The decision marks the end …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Silver badge

¡Phone!

Anonymous Coward

Oooooooooooooouch!

That smarts that does.

This post has been deleted by a moderator

Anonymous Coward

Re: Hey Hombre

Maybe that's why they are all trying to get over the border, to buy an iphone?

Anonymous Coward

will that make it the José-fon?

Thumb Up

Bwahaha

Reading that article was like watching one of those YouTube videos where the bully picks on the fat kid and then ends up getting owned.

Anonymous Coward

"Maybe that's why they are all trying to get over the border, to buy an iphone?"

Who would want to do that for a limited feature phone at best! Do they not run ads for manufacturers who have leap frogged Slackle? Plenty of them now.

Bronze badge

wow!

Karma isssss a frikin BITCH!!!

yo quero iphone BELL!!!!

Math is not your stroing point I can see.

Anonymous Coward

"Who would want to do that for a limited feature phone at best! Do they not run ads for manufacturers who have leap frogged Slackle? Plenty of them now."

"Slackle" is feeble, even by your low standards.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Bwahaha

Not the first time it's happened recently...That time Apple attempted fraud to win a similar case.

France: the frugivore lion, a tale of suspicious prior rights acquisition

I was going to suggest...

I was going to suggest "MexiPhone", but that's way better!

Anonymous Coward

Re: I was going to suggest...

It's commonly referred to as the Jesus phone here... Just adjust the pronunciation for our Spanish-speaking friends :)

Silver badge
Pint

According to The News... More persons of Mexican origin have been heading SOUTH (leaving USA to return to Mexico) than the number headed in the opposite direction.

Silver badge

Karma is a bitch

Anonymous Coward

"It's commonly referred to as the Jesus phone here... Just adjust the pronunciation for our Spanish-speaking friends :)"

What? By writing Jose-fon? Jesus is Jesus in Spanish - yes that is he-sus not ho-se.

Thumb Up

iPhon(y)

... just don't forget that Apple started the whole thing (again) ...

Anonymous Coward

Is it still schadenfreude when they really deserve it?

Anonymous Coward

yes that is he-sus not ho-se.

Surely pronounced hey-seus

Devil

Hahaha

Now there's justice, both poetic and actual. What on earth did Apple think was going to happen when they launched this lawsuit?

Anonymous Coward

Re: Hahaha

I wonder how diplomatic they'll be in defeat. They're probably rich enough to buy the offending company, fire all its staff, burn its property to the ground and plough salt into the land upon which it was built as an example to others.

Anonymous Coward

<- Troll icon goes here

I'm guessing the thought process in the collective Apple brain went as follows:

- We're American therefore their laws mean nothing to us and we're going to do whatever we like

- It's okay to steal IP as long as we're the ones doing it because we're cool

- There is never any comeback when we acts like a bunch of powercrazed bullying ar*eholes because everyone gets too distracted by the shint-shiny to notice we're doing it (until we do it to them) so why should there be any this time around?

... didn't Apple kick off the whole iNoun thing in the first place?

Happy

Re - didn't Apple kick off the whole iNoun thing in the first place?

My still-functioning BT iPlayer would beg to differ.

In use since 1998, if memory serves.

by that reasoning, any word that starts with "i" would be a violation. but apple stared it with imac in 1998 and ipod in 2001, but Apple wasn't very big til iphone was released so its kinda hard for them bust up anything from 2003 that was registered first.

Silver badge
Pint

I actually have a Linksys CIT300 "iPhone", the Skype-enabled Ethernet + POTS cordless telephone.

Happy

Well, I hate to rain on everyone's parade. Actually. That's a lie. I'm gonna LOVE raining on your parade. The Register Article is wrong. [nelson laugh]Ha-haaaa[/nelson laugh]

http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/2/3591380/iphone-ifone-and-apples-mexican-trademark-standoff-whats-really-going

"APPLE ALREADY OWNS TWO IPHONE TRADEMARKS IN MEXICO, AND IT WANTED A THIRD"

Why has darkpill's post got downvoted for providing a link with more detailed information. Information is good!

Thumb Up

@darkpill, thanks for an informative post and link. Too bad most will not find it between all the derrogatory anti-mexican comments and wishful thinking regard karma. This article needs editing BADLY.

Silver badge
Thumb Up

Yep I have one of those iPhones too...

Silver badge
Joke

Just move the I.........

And call it the Phone-i pronounced Phoney......

Thumb Up

A lovely day out walking with the girls, home to find this story... what a great end to the week!

Headmaster

Geography

Can I just thank you for telling us that Mexico is in North America. I feel much better informed now.

Bronze badge

Re: Geography

IOS maps bites again?

Happy

When I was at school Mexico was the most northerly nation in Central America. That's plate tectonics for you.

Oh yeah,

HAAAHAAAAAAAAHAHAA HAAAAHAAAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!OHGODICAN'TBREATHEFORLAUGHING!!!!!

Bronze badge

Re: Geography no vas?

Next, as with Dokdo, Apple will claim it cannot use Mexican diacritics because a law of Mexico forbids removing national chart and map information from the country. But, it will just simply remove Mexi from the maps....

Then, sincw apple STARTED this thermonuclear war business, the cartels warring against each other will start kidnapping apple execs until apple restores Mexico to the maps. Then, Mexican judges will say, "apple execs, in unison, you have, unlije in the UK, ONE AND ONLY ONE chance to apologize, and not appollogise. Do NOT fuck it up!"

That would be schweet, if apple has to apologize to iFone, in Spanish, in the correct fonts and accents or diacritics.

Bronze badge
Devil

Central America is not a continent. Also, the Central Americans I talked to while living in Guatemala all indicated that they didn't consider Mexico part of Central America, possibly because they Mexicans take the same attitude towards Central Americans sneaking in as the US does with regard to Mexicans, except the Mexican border guards beat the shit out of people sneaking across then throw them back.

Bronze badge

Are they real?

So trampling all over everyone does not work all the time.

From the limited info given justice looks served though reality might actually differ.

This post has been deleted by a moderator

Anonymous Coward

Just pull out?

Now that is catholic ;-)

Anonymous Coward

"I'd just pull out. You can't sell that much in a country full of inbred catholics and drug dealers."

Typical iPhone owner, hasn't got a clue. Siri giving you a baised view of the world again?

Your phone doesn't make you clever clearly.

Bronze badge

clever, not

CleAver time, when the drug dealers uncover that ip address, hahaha....

Jkjkjk

Anonymous Coward

Never owned an iPhone and my current phone is android based, penis.

Joke

"I'd just pull out. You can't sell that much in a country full of inbred catholics and drug dealers."

Typical iPhone owner, hasn't got a clue. Siri giving you a baised view of the world again?

Your phone doesn't make you clever clearly.

"Never owned an iPhone and my current phone is android based, penis."

^^^ Explains alot !!

Silver badge
Thumb Down

@ AC 17.21 2nd Nov. ".......full of inbred catholics and drug dealers."

You clearly cannot tell the difference between a bit of trolling satire and being a complete arsehole. Well, I can assure you that you have managed to achieve the latter.

Rob
Bronze badge

Sounds like...

.... someone is depressed that half term is over and it's back to school on Monday.

Mushroom

Wtf!?

Apple....lost!?

GO MEXICO!

Silver badge

Maybe a few days of being on the naughty step will make the changes that need to be made in that company.

I wonder if one day "Apple" will come up with their own trademarks to use instead of stealing other companies

Apple

Ipad

Iphone

all registered trademarks of other companies which Apple have been forced to throw money at

iOS too.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.