back to article UK iPad Mini FRENZY: Queues stretch SEVERAL FEET from till

Astonishing queues at times reached as far as several feet from the tills in Glasgow's Apple store, as the Wi-Fi version of the iPad mini launched in the UK. Reader Joseph Heenan reported walking in to the Apple Store, buying the device and walking out "within a couple of minutes". Heenan added that "there were staff standing …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Mike Brown

not a big deal.

only fan boys will queue up. But fanboys will already have the bigger ipads and wont want the mini, hence no queue.

1. NogginTheNog
      Facepalm

Re: not a big deal.

Why wouldn't they want a Mini?? They already have an iMac, a Macbook, an iPod Touch, an iPhone, an iPad... why not a Mini as well, maybe to keep in the car for emergencies...?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: not a big deal.

The fanbois have already had their pockets emptied twice this year for the iphone 5 and ipad 3.

There's just not enough to cover a new mini ipad and the ipad 4.

3. LarsG
      Meh

Probably

Still sell more than the surface......

4. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

iPad 4?

So what's the deal? Haven't we only just got over the "new iPad"?

1. Si 1

Re: iPad 4?

My conspiracy theory is that the A6 was always meant for the iPad 3 and that Apple hit delays producing it. This required a stop-gap which was the A5X. The only problem being it was fabbed at 45nm and the quad-core graphics needed to push the retina display created a very large and expensive chip.

Therefore the costs of the chip meant it was always going to be a temporary solution that would be replaced with a more cost effective 32nm A6 as soon as was feasible. I believe that was the plan all along and is why the third gen iPad was just called "the New iPad" and the fourth gen is called the "iPad with Retina display" to avoid blatantly incrementing the version number twice in one year. That Apple also had a new dock connector to help justify updating the model is probably just lucky happenstance.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I for one am waiting...

for the iPad Mini Mega

Gotta catch 'em all!

1. Steve Evans
      Thumb Up

Re: I for one am waiting...

LMAO!

2. Ramazan
      Joke

Re: iPad Mini Mega

How about iPad XL/L(regular iPad)/M/S(iPad Mini)/XS instead?

3. Steven Roper
      FAIL

Re: I for one am waiting...

Downvoted for posting a link to a geolocked video. Fail.

4. jai

surprised?

this is a niche product - those that want a full tablet will already have an iPad. If you don't then you've got an iPhone. There definitely seems to be a market for the iPad mini, but if the highly unscientific sample set of people in my office is an indication, then the market is about 1/5th that of the full size iPad and a tiny fraction of that for the iPhone.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

small market

I only know a few fanbois who will be out buying them because they just have to have it. Got an ipad, don't need a smaller version. That's what my phone is. If apple don't get their stuff together I'll be swapping out for android when they are no use.

6. Senior Ugli

Hang on - you take the piss when there is massive queues and genuine idiots queuing for devices. Now you are slating them because there isnt a big queue and no idiots to laugh at?

1. ukgnome
      FAIL

And your point is?

One is the failure of the masses and one is a failure of the asses.

Both are failures for different reasons.

2. NogginTheNog
      Happy

Because it's Apple:

The Reg take the piss just because!

1. Kebablog

Re: Because it's Apple:

It's the usual Leach crap article to be honest.

3. GregC

Perfectly reasonable...

Massive queues = opportunity to point and laugh at the fanbois/iSheep/whatever you want to call them for being sad gits.

No queues = opportunity to point and laugh at Apple because even the fanbois don't seem to give a toss about the Mini.

Win-Win!

4. Jedit Silver badge
      IT Angle

"Now you are slating them because there isnt a big queue"

When there are no queues for an Apple launch, it is not because Apple have stopped marketing massively overpriced, overhyped tat to fashion victims. It is because their naked greed has risen to the point that their customer base can no longer afford to buy all the tat - that, and the tat is so much tattier that even fashion victims won't buy it.

7. JeffyPooh
    Pint

Apple: "You MUST have Retinal display!"

How about a GPS chip?

How about the latest processor?

How about an iPhone 5 aspect ratio?

No sale.

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
      Pint

Re: Apple: "You MUST have Retinal display!"

To answer your points...

not everyone wants a device with a widescreen? My desktop is 2 24in 1920x1200 monitors with them rotated by 90deg giving 2400x1920., almost 5x4.

Would anyone (geeks apart) notice if the CPU is not quite the latest 'hot-rod'?

Many people already have GPS on their phone.

(I do but I have disabled it from day 1. I don't want any stinking location based adverts.)

Ok, so I own a MacBook Pro and an iPod Touch. both are several years old and do their jobs perfectly.

I didn't get an iPad mini but a Kindle HD Fire. Nice but still not as good as the company iPad I had in a past job.

Having to use iTunes does not bother me either.

The HD fire ebooks are good but there is an iPad version as well so meh!

Friday Lunch Beer Time and yes I can find my way to the pub without needing GPS

1. Greg J Preece

I didn't get an iPad mini but a Kindle HD Fire. Nice but still not as good as the company iPad I had in a past job.

Errrr....aren't those two things at massively different price points?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"not everyone wants a device with a widescreen?"

Don't Apple devices have long screens rather than widescreens?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Apple: "You MUST have Retinal display!"

How about a GPS chip?

How about the latest processor?

How about an iPhone 5 aspect ratio?

No sale."

How about a transformer! There, MUCH BETTER!

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

GPS on wifi only - really - guess you might get lost going from the bog to the lounge?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"GPS on wifi only - really - guess you might get lost going from the bog to the lounge?"

There is such a thing as off line maps you know, like what all those sat navs use...?

The WiFi Nexus 7 has GPS enabled.

1. Ramazan
          Pint

Re: WiFi Nexus 7 has GPS enabled

Upvoted just for mentioning that simple fact. And Nexus costs $230 vs iPad S's $330. And it doesn't require you to use iTunes.

2. P. Lee

>There is such a thing as off line maps you know, like what all those sat navs use...?

Do you really think apple want you to have anything offline - especially maps?

GPS + wifi is useful because, you normally use your phone as a hotspot (one 3g contract), but you may want a larger screen than your phone. Or you may want to geolocate photo's - perhaps edited in iphoto.

Or you may be on holiday in your hotel room and be planning your day's schedule. You'll use your phone on the move, but plan stuff on the bigger screen.

1. Henry Blackman

Tether the iPad to an iPhone and the iPad uses the iPhone GPS. Clever.

8. Sir Runcible Spoon

Sir

iPad Mini sounds too much like a sanitary product for women.

Picture the scene in Scotland then, man walks into office and proudly announces that he has just bought his first iPad mini.

The response would be : <El Reg readers fill in the blanks here>

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Sir

It would have been better if they had changed the name of the regular iPad as well... to the iPad Maxi

Bah dum... tsssh

1. CmdrX3
        Happy

Re: Sir

... or the Max iPad... or is there a trademark issue there :-)

9. Tom 38
    Trollface

Looks just like a Samsung launch.

1. Tapeador

re:

I suspect Samsung users have lives. If I had five hours spare I'd rather spend it with my loved ones, or writing, or at a concert, than shivering alongside a bunch of identity-deficient virgins.

10. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Apple's choice

If you had a big expensive high margin product, would you want your customers to know that you also make a smaller cheaper low margin product? I can understand Apple keeping quiet about the iPad mini and only mentioning it to customers who say a full sized tablet is too big.

11. squilookle
    Devil

It does look a little bit gloomy there. Maybe they didn't want to go out in the cold and wet.

Perhaps Apple are on the way down and people don't get excited anymore, or maybe they have saturated the market with slightly different products that overlap in function?

Two of my friends have asked me if I knew anything about the iPad Mini in the last week or so. (Disclaimer: they already know I don't like Apple) I spared them the anti-Apple rant but just asked if they had seen/considered the Nexus 7 or one of the Kindle Fires. Both of them have looked into it and are edging toward the Kindle Fire. (Just to further prove I didn't try to influence them: I would have gone for the Nexus 7 myself).

That's not scientific and probably not even relevant, but it will be interesting to see how the figures stack up after a while.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"It does look a little bit gloomy there. Maybe they didn't want to go out in the cold and wet."

It's Scotland, it always looks like that :o)

Personally I'm not that surprised. The mini only exists because the N7 and Kindle have proved so popular. Apple had to do a major u-turn on Jobs' famous "there will be no 7" ipad" statement and declarations the regular ipad is perfect for everyone. Nothing is perfect for everyone. They just seriously misjudged the number of people who wanted a smaller and/or cheaper device.

Unfortunately Apple's famously high profit margin doesn't fit well in the budget sector, so the mini ends up underspec'ed and over priced.

This means the only people who will choose to buy a mini are either:

1) Mad (crazy)

2) Already have a large investment in iOS apps

or

3) Non-tech savvy Guardian readers mislead by the hype.

This photo shows the former and latter categories have failed to show up. This is not good news for Apple. Especially if category two do the maths/math and realise just how many Android apps they could purchase with the price difference between a Nexus 7/Kindle and the mini.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"so the mini ends up underspec'ed and over priced....This means the only people who will choose to buy a mini are either"

How is that different to any other Apple products? They're all overpriced and under-spec'ed. Even the iPhone 5 has a lower spec than phones that launched 6 months before it.

1. Steve Evans
          Happy

Point taken.

Maybe I should rephrase...

"So the mini ends up so underspec'ed and over priced that even rabid fanboys starts to smell the coffee"

Better?

2. Ramazan

Re: the only people who will choose to buy a mini are

You know, iPad L (Large, i.e. regular version) is way too heavy at its 600 or 700 grams (my notebook which I use for writing this reply weights approx 500 grams), especially when you have something to compare to, like e.g. Kindle. Reading books on iPad is not that great experience, neither is it that unobtrusive when stuffed with its SmartCover into messenger bag etc. I'd like to have something lighter and smaller, but not that small as iPhone, so iPad S (Small, i.e. Mini version) would fit the bill (but only with GPS, and priced below $270).

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> 3) Non-tech savvy Guardian readers mislead by the hype.

3) Non-tech savvy Guardian readers mislead by the hype.

Fixed the tautology for you.

1. Another User
          Holmes

Tautology - Pleonasm

You meant a pleonasm. A tautology would be an illiterate analphabet, a free gift , RAM memory etc.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: Tautology - Pleonasm

Pleonasm (from Greek, pleon: more, too much) is the use of more words or word-parts than is necessary for clear expression: examples are black darkness, or burning fire. Such redundancy is, by traditional rhetorical criteria, a manifestation of tautology.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

So we can all conclude to agree that this is a demonstrating example of a tautological pleonasm?

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

> So we can all conclude to agree that this is a demonstrating example of a tautological pleonasm?

So we can all conclude to agree that this is a demonstrating example of a tautological pleonasm?

Fixed the pleonasm for you.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Your friends do realise that there is a free Kindle app they can put on a Nexus 7 (or any other Andorid device)?

12. big_Jim

Overpriced

This article is too expensive for me to read. I'm reading the Nexus article instead.

13. Ian Bremner
    FAIL

Wrong street

Looks like your picture is of West Nile Street in Glasgow.

Apples store and main entrance is one block over on Buchanan Street

1. myob
      FAIL

Re: Wrong street

Can't you see the big glowing apple above the doorway? And the crowd control barriers stacked up as well.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Wrong street

"Wrong street

Looks like your picture is of West Nile Street in Glasgow.

Apples store and main entrance is one block over on Buchanan Street"

Are you using crap maps app? iFail.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like