back to article EPA likes clouds – as long as they're Microsoft's

Microsoft's ongoing fight to transfer its lucrative government business from software to the cloud has received a major boost with a deal to sell 25,000 Office 365 licenses to the Environmental Protection Agency. The $9.8m contract to supply the EPA with cloudy applications for the next four years was won by Microsoft reseller …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

$100 per seat per year

I'm sorry but I don't think $100 per seat per year is much of a deal unless it includes the computer hardware. Just how is this software better than OpenOffice? Perhaps 1 in 20 users will ever notice a function missing from OO and less than 1 in 100 inconvenienced.

Silver badge

Re: $100 per seat per year

Don't forget that this is a 'cloud' implementation - outright purchase of Office would cost a large government agency around $30 a seat, the extra is going to pay for storage and CPU power on the MS cloud. If you want to compare equivalent costs with OO, you need to include a contract with Amazon, Google or someone for those resources (I've little idea what that would be as I have no interest in the proposition, but a few $ a month a seat might well cover it).

You may be right about those who would be inconvenienced, but if one of the 1 in 20 is a CxO (or their PA) you may be heading for a world of pain. And you might be surprised how many organisations use Office macros, which don't migrate easily to OO - collection/validation of monthly financials from first-line supervisors is a good one.

Anonymous Coward

... and less than 1 in 10,000 will have even heard of 'Open' Office.

It is crap, always has been, and is only used by people who like to post pictures of penguins.

Bronze badge
Mushroom

It does include the computer hardware.

Silver badge
FAIL

"....Perhaps 1 in 20 users ...." Every time there's a new release of OO I convince myself it's a godd idea to try it, and every time I'm back on MS Office within a few weeks.

Bronze badge
Big Brother

The real problem with cloud computing...

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2012/10/governments-attack-cloud-computing

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums