back to article Apple must apologise for its surly apology on its website on Saturday

Apple will have to apologise for its rubbish apology as well its patent infringement claims against Samsung when it publishes a statement on its UK website tomorrow. The three sentence statement that Apple will have to display on its homepage will say: On 25th October 2012, Apple Inc published a statement on its UK website in …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Bronze badge

So the Reg's headline landed Apple in hot water. No wonder they hate you :)

Anonymous Coward

No XMAS card this year

"We also owe thanks to Gary Moss for reporting the effect of a Register headline when read out in the courtroom yesterday, described as "throwing a petrol can onto the bonfire"

Future coverage of Apple products will continue to come from 3rd hand sources and rumours gleaned from the internet. Surely this is an own goal ?

Re: No XMAS card this year

Judging from their motto, I would say this fits the bill quite well. Besides, if you're going to go and kick a Hornets nest, isn't the best time when they've all had their stingers removed?

Bronze badge
FAIL

Yes you're right, all news outlets should therefore make sure all their coverage of companies is favourable so as not to lose favour with those companies.

Apple shunned the Reg long, long, before this latest tantrum.

Joke

It can't be this Register it say's it's "highly respected"

Bronze badge

"Apple shunned the Reg long, long, before this latest tantrum."

Apple shunned Leo Laporte years and years ago.However, If you have ever wondered what an Apple fanboi looks like, he's it. (not dissing him in anyway - he might come and stab me in the eye or something).

Silver badge
Holmes

"Future coverage of Apple products will continue to come from 3rd hand sources and rumours gleaned from the internet. Surely this is an own goal ?"

As opposed to advertising and spin? Egads!

Anonymous Coward

>Future coverage of Apple products will continue to come from 3rd hand sources and rumours gleaned from the internet. Surely this is an own goal ?

Nah, the free supply of Apple kit is gone forever the first time a journo or publication crosses the criticism line - lack of invites to Events post-Jobs is no great loss either.

Otherwise it's rumours everywhere anyway - Apple themselves don't leak - even to Wired and their other pets.

Apple don't leak?

Except for the prototypes left "accidentally" in bars ...

Correct, they're referring to the online lesbian magazine.

Silver badge
Devil

Apple are far more petty than that, it was 'Jagwire' ten years ago that put them on their shitlist.

Silver badge

"Future coverage of Apple products will continue to come from 3rd hand sources and rumours gleaned from the internet. Surely this is an own goal ?"

Are you saying that it would be better if independent news services censored themselves, towed the company line, and cozied up to corporations, just so they get invited to cocktail parties?

Silver badge
Devil

Take it away George...

If you're gonna do it, do it right...right

Anonymous Coward

Contempt of court parts 2 and 3

#2 Not identifying Apple as the publisher of the print apology.

#3 When the updated website version appeared Saturday, the front page apology was placed by Apple so as to be invisible when the page is first loaded irrespective of screen size. It gets worse. The UK Apple site (but NOT the USA site) has been redesigned to expand a graphic so the lower part of the home page is never visible on load. A cheap trick which suggests another visit to court and a further apology for attempting to hide the apology.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Contempt of court parts 2 and 3

They should now be required to place a fresh apology in a prominant position at the top of the screen in a larger font.

This would be an apology for hiding the apology for making false and misleading statements in the original apology required by the court.

I also suggest Samsung request the court investigate just who in Apple is responsible for these attempts to game the legal system. Clearly it involved technical matters on the website so not just a slip up in wording by the legal people.

Anonymous Coward

>Clearly it involved technical matters on the website

Yep, they've added a script to ensure the statement is pushed below the viewport in all resolutions. They've also done this in a case where, perhaps uniquely, the Judge will actually understand the code and it's purpose.

It's not often I feel sorry for lawyers, but Apple's team must be climbing the walls right now.

Silver badge
Joke

So in addition to the entry

Recursion: see Recursion

we can now add

Apology: see Apology

to the IT dictionary

They've also placed the new wording at the same URL as the old wording, which means (at least in my case) that browsers will still show the old version unless you do a hard refresh.

FAIL

Is it just me, or does the print ad look like it's a defensive ad from Samsung, rather than an apology by Apple... I thought it had to be clear WHO was paying for an advert, not just that it was one?

Anonymous Coward

"Is it just me, or does the print ad look like it's a defensive ad..."

You're holding it wrong...:)

WTF?

Yeah - thought the advert had to show the Apple logo or some such. Or am I confusing one of the many comments I've read on the subject with something the judges actually said?

Silver badge

Typo in the quote, or the retraction?

Court *OF* Appeal of England and Wales, surely?

That's better.

Though the print copy doesn't really identify as coming from apple enough in my eyes, needs the logo for maximum efficacy.

I wonder who rode roughshod over the presumably sensible advice, re not posting the arcing pacifier that was the first 'we were talking out of our ass' clarification?

Not that I'm complaining, but I am wondering if their seemingly bullet proof shoes are getting a bit threadbare by now.

Bonkers.

FAIL

Education

Someone really needs to tell Apple about the Streisand effect. All this dragging it out has just made it more noteworthy and *much* more humiliating for them. Frankly, for a big multinational, the way they've dealt with this whole thing has been an embarrassment and in completely unexpected and bewildering ways even (the "14 days to change our website" thing was a particular low point).

Honestly someone senior in the organisation needs to get a grip on this whole process before the Court really loses patience.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Education

Maybe, although it possibly also reminds people that this was the case where the judge said Samsung couldn't have copied Apple because their designs weren't cool enough.

Stop

Possibly but tbh I doubt it - most of the people who spend lots more on a device because it is "cool" (ie Apple customers) probably either don't know about this ruling or frankly don't care what a judge thinks.

Some of them may even be a bit put off by the fact that a judge things that the iPad is cool (based on the relatively stuffy stereotype of judges).

Any neutral observer just sees Apple getting spanked in court, behaving in an infantile fashion about it and then being spanked some more because they stuffed it up the first time (with an added helping of "we're so clueless we can't even run our own website" thrown in). I don't claim to be an expert on these things but none of that strikes me as especially cool.

If they'd taken their licks with some dignity in the first place then it would have just faded quickly into the mists of time. As it is, I'm sure I'll not be alone in recalling this pitiful spectacle for some time.

Silver badge
FAIL

>>Maybe, although it possibly also reminds people that this was the case where the judge said Samsung couldn't >>have copied Apple because their designs weren't cool enough.

I suppose you think that wearing a logo for Nike or some other brand is cool. Wrong!

Also why are all the Apple shills anonymous? Fail!

Bronze badge
Boffin

It will also tend to make some people question the sanity of the British courts - the tone of Apple's "apology" may not have been what was expected by the Judge, but nor was it factually incorrect. The Judge is now forcing them to lie in print - surely it is now the Judge himself who is in contempt?

Because, Dave, over here we have something called "the spirit of the law" as well as the "the letter of the law". This attempt by Apple was clearly not in the spirit of the law.

Silver badge
FAIL

"It will also tend to make some people question the sanity of the British courts"

Only stupid people who don't understand the concept of an actual fair legal system that doesn't just follow a script, and makes allowances for intent. The legal system here is based on reasonable behaviour.

"the tone of Apple's "apology" may not have been what was expected by the Judge, but nor was it factually incorrect. The Judge is now forcing them to lie in print - surely it is now the Judge himself who is in contempt?"

Don't be idiotic. Judges can't be in contempt of their own judgements.

What's the 'lie' exactly?

Pint

Lets face it

Some one is certainly taking the mick.....two weeks!!!

If I had lead times like that to do a bit of work, I would be a happy man as by now on a Friday I would be emptying this

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Anonymous Coward

Re: Lets face it

They're probably delegating adding of new info to the site to some of their "geniuses"

Pint

Yes, and you'd have been doing so since Monday... that would almost qualify you to work for El Reg X)

Anonymous Coward

The web team is probably very busy creating next year's compulsory Steve Jobs video for the website.

FAIL

Maybe more trouble for Apple

The court required Apple to make the announcement (rather than leaving it to Samsung) because it had to come "from the horse's mouth". The newspaper statement does not say that it's Apple who is making it, so they may be in for another hard time from the judge!

Thumb Up

Re: Maybe more trouble for Apple

True, there is nothing on that ad saying which horse has spake.

Silver badge
Pint

They held up their hands and admitted that

Cook decided to go golfing, Forstall said "newer as long as I work for Jobs" and Ive did not approve the font.

g e
Silver badge
Joke

Appleogise, verb

To apologise with extreme hubris

Silver badge
Happy

Just one more thing

Want to buy an iPhone in mexico? Think different:

http://www.muktware.com/4738/lawsuit-happy-apple-may-not-be-able-sell-iphone-mexico#.UJPZyMUxrBt

Anonymous Coward

Choice of titles

I wonder how the selection was made - did Apple have to produce demographics of its customers against what they read, or Samsung's audience tabloid of choice?

Silver badge
Gimp

ROFL

How do you like THEM apples, Apple!!!!

So much win to see crApple being brought down a peg or two......

Silver badge
Facepalm

I wonder..

I'm I the only one who's getting a bit tired of all those (IMO:) lame patent lawsuits?

Sure; I can see that if you copy a competitors product one on one and then start to sell it as if it were your own then someone has to put a stop to that because that's simply unfair business.

But to sue for allegedly having a button placed 12cm from the edge of a device instead of 8cm is IMVHO way overdoing it.

I know; if there's an option to make extra money companies will dive into that. Even so; IMVHO its getting out of hand.

Silver badge
Holmes

Re: I wonder..

"I'm I the only one who's getting a bit tired of all those (IMO:) lame patent lawsuits?"

Everyone got tired of those long ago, regardless of allegiance.

Now we're tired of Apple wiping their arse on judgements laid down by the courts, too.

Joke

Highly respected online forum????

Are we talking about the same register??

"From the highly respected online forum The Register"

Hadn't realised the register was a forum ... or respected or highly !!!

So there we have it - the register declared highly respected in a court of law !!...

Silver badge
Happy

Re: Highly respected online forum????

I've always tried my best here to make it so.

Silver badge
Trollface

Re: Highly respected online forum????

"...the register declared highly respected in a court of law..."

So are lawyers - and these days, the degree of comprehension, veracity and useful information is much the same from both.

Troll? to 'honour' Leach - the Troll Queen if ever there was one

Trollface

I don't believe this is the publication by Apple

It doesn't have rounded corners...

Next up, Apple find a loophole in that it's an EU wide judgement so they can put the page up in any language from the EU, bets are in and Welsh is odds on favourite. Actually I'd love to see that.....

My guess is that they would go with the language of Europe, Esperanto.

Headmaster

Esperanto advertisements in the European Union - an idea whose time has come

Yes. A great idea. Here's one suggested text:

La naŭan de julio 2012 la Supera Kortumo de Justeco en Anglio kaj Kimrio regis ke la Galaksiaj Briketokomputiloj de Samsung Electronics (Unuiĝinta Reĝlando) Limited -- tio estas, la Galaksia Tabo dek punkto unu, Tabo ok punkto naŭ kaj Tabo sep punkto sep ne malobservas la dezajnon registritan far Apple ene la Eŭropa Komunumo numerante cent-okdek-unu mil sescent sep, streketo nulo nulo nulo unu.

Kopio de la plena juĝo de la Supera Kortumo disponeblas ĉe la jena ligilo: www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/Patents/2012/1882.html.Tiu juĝo havas efikon en la tuta Eŭropa Unio kaj la dek-ok-an de oktobro 2012 estis konfirmita de la Kortumo de Apelacio de Anglio kaj Kimrio.

Kopio de la juĝo de la Kortumo de Apelacio disponeblas ĉe la jena ligilo: www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWCA/Civ/2012/1339.html. Neniu ordono en respekto de la dezajno komunumo-registrita havas forton ie en Eŭropo.

-- The pedant, because neither Zamenhof nor Orwell was available for comment.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums