back to article Fans' loyalty questioned as iPhone popularity plummets

iPopularity is in a state of decline, with "Apple loyalty" said to have fallen for the first time since the iPhone's 2007 release. Only 75 per cent of iPhone owners in Western Europe say they'd choose an Apple device for their next smartphone, new data from market watcher Strategy Analytics show. That still seems a relatively …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Silver badge
Meh

Empires Rise...

...Empires Fall

Standard Oil, the East India Company, Microsoft: all ruled the world and then fell (or are falling).

The loyalty and willingness of Apple fans to spend money has been phenomenal. Couldn't last forever, and the original yawning quality gap between Apple and non-Apple phones and tablets has vanished (and in the case of phones at least, arguably reversed). A more balanced market will emerge.

Next on the chopping block: A certain search and advertising corporation.

Silver badge
Devil

Re: Empires Rise...

Funny that my Android phone was bought more than three iPhone releases ago and still has more functionality than the latest Apple device.

...and at half the cost of one of them.

Apple is degrading because of the lack of choice available on their hardware, draconian treatment of those who do not kiss their butts (Press - like The Reg, developers, etc.) and customers realizing that they are paying WAY too much for faulty technology that needs to be upgraded with every release just to be six months behind. Not to mention litigation instead of competition and faking evidence in court.

Quality gap? My phone has not needed a bumper, does not need software updates to stop using cell data when wifi is on or have a purple haze on my pics. My map software works and I have a choice of a half dozen app stores or the option of going straight to a developers web site to install software.

Should I choose to change phones I can pick from a half dozen manufacturers and several hundred models; not two. When Apple stops treating their customers like mindless muppets, maybe that will change. Until then, they are reaping what they have sowed.

Given that Google make the only other mobile operating system that has mass market appeal I'm not sure I follow you...

Silver badge

Unlike the East India Company, I can pretty much guarantee Apple won't still be around 400 years after they were founded.

Anonymous Coward

I agree. Having had a 3G, 3GS and now a 4 my next will be a Samsung Android device. Since Jobs have left the detail that set Apple apart has gone. Case in point: I can't back up my iPhone to iCloud because iCloud storage is less than the storage on my iPhone. It's broken. I don't think Steve would have allowed this.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Empires Rise...@nonesuch

An Android 2.3 phone? Worst crap I ever used. 2.4 second worst. 3.0 in a moment of singularity 3rd worst. Winphone 6.5 a tie and so on down the list.

Anonymous Coward

Standard Oil was dismantled by decree IIRC

Silver badge
Facepalm

Well you post shows how stupid you are.

Android 3 was not a phone OS but Honeycomb which was a tablet OS and 2.4 never existed.

the jump was from 2.37 to 4 ICS then 4.1 Jelly Bean.

Trollface

"Given that Google make the only other mobile operating system that has mass market appeal I'm not sure I follow you..."

I think the point he was trying to make was that makers of android handsets, have competition to drive ahead innovation. Two years ago it was HTC that was top of the market for Android phones, now its samsung.

even though they are running the same OS and can run the asme apps, the interface usually gets tweaked to suit and at least you have the impression that you have a new phone. Upgrade from an Iphone 3gs to iphone 5,then with the exception of cosmetic changes you are still looking at the same GUI...

and with an android handset, when you switch to a new brand, at least you get to keep all your apps you have paid for....

Anonymous Coward

They all look and function equally badly and I don't distinguish between the versions that much. Since I wouldn't dream of actually buying anything running Android crap, I have limited myself to crashing other peoples devices (tablets/phones). YMMV

Anonymous Coward

1: You should buy a dictionary and learn to read it. It will improve the quality of your rants.

2: I don't care care about version numbers or a plethora of other aspects of gadgets I own or use (nor do 99% of smartphone/tablet users). Android is Android and it has been and IMHO still is, a pile of steaming crap that has only just reached the minimum levels of usability and quality.

You can choose to have an alternate opinion and you can choose to believe that screen size is relevant factor in this.

Anonymous Coward

@AC 14:10

You *can* back up your phone. It just won't be free. On iCloud you can always buy more space if you want.

:-)

Anonymous Coward

"Funny that my Android phone was bought more than three iPhone releases ago and still has more functionality than the latest Apple device.

...and at half the cost of one of them."

Funny my Android device lasted 6 months before they ditched it yet my 3GS is still going strong. There is LESS need to upgrade with iPhone than Android - that is not to say some people so not CHOOSE to upgrade but I see plenty of 3GS handsets still in use and that's now a 4 year old phone.

Anonymous Coward

Yes you can - I have a 64Gb iPhone with about 40Gb 'data' on it - iCloud backs up the data - the apps get reinstalled via iTunes or from Apple. Extra storage is not exactly expensive either.

Anonymous Coward

Android never works properly as manufacturers tinker - different screen res and other problems. A mate with a (then) brand new Note had to wait months to get the update and even then it was buggy. People whinge about the maps on iOS 6 but for many they are actually as good or even (dare I say it) better than Google Maps. Plus it's not as if you can't put the Google Maps icon on your home page in what 5 seconds. Of course the press likes to make their mountains out of mole hills.

My 3GS is now 4+ years old - how many Android phones are still going strong after that time - perhaps the original Nexus but not even sure if that gets the latest OS now...? What about the others.

Anonymous Coward

I moved away from the iphone due to the lack of the 4" form factor and with the promise of ICS on Android.

I only returned to Apple as the iphone 5 finally has the 4" form factor and that their customer service is second to non (ten months in and my Android smartphone had a problem for which I had to send away to get repaired - several days without a smartphone is hard going).

The only downside is that ios6 has aged, pleased to hear that a certain Jony Ives is heading up the UI changes for ios7 - if true then Apple will continue to lead rather than follow....... interesting times ahead!

Anonymous Coward

"Given that Google make the only other mobile operating system that has mass market appeal I'm not sure I follow you..."

1,000,000's of windows phone customers may disagree.

I suppose you own iPhone by the ridiculous comment.

Anonymous Coward

"An Android 2.3 phone? Worst crap I ever used. 2.4 second worst. 3.0 in a moment of singularity 3rd worst. Winphone 6.5 a tie and so on down the list."

Funny, my 2.3 offers the same features and functionality of the iPhone 5.

Could you not learn how to use it? Is that why you chose FisherPrice OS?

Anonymous Coward

"They all look and function equally badly and I don't distinguish between the versions that much. Since I wouldn't dream of actually buying anything running Android crap, I have limited myself to crashing other peoples devices (tablets/phones). YMMV"....with an undeserved smug look on your face not realising just how blinkered your though processes really are. You don't work in academia by any chance?

Anonymous Coward

"and with an android handset, when you switch to a new brand, at least you get to keep all your apps you have paid for...."

Unless you're using fucking Navigon. They lock the license to the handset (even if you buy it via the Google store) and refuse to let you use it on your new phone, without "proof that the old one is broken", which apparently would require sending it to be repaired- exactly what you do when you've just bought a new device. Failing that, you're expected to buy again.

So they're twats, avoid. If you feel the urge to buy offline nav software for Android, both Sygic and Copilot transfer OK, and have free demo versions that you can try out.

</rant>

Anonymous Coward

Fuckwits out in force again today I see

Holmes

"Fuckwits out in force again today I see"

That's a bit harsh on Obviously!

Bronze badge

Re: Empires Rise... NFO,

Nuke from orbit -- the only way to be sure.

But, if any of Jobs is in cryo, he'll be back. His body probablymismjust in deepmsleep, waiting for a cure. If i had 20 billion, and great hope for medical science, i would have my ass frozen, ane woke. I would just hope like hell that it would not be like Mad Max, Omega Man, or Judge Dredd, or Planet of the Apes. Or, Buck Rogers in the 25th Century, bee dee dee dee deetdeet.... That sounds guuud, Buck.

But, he will be back. One way or another. Just a matter of time. And a multidimensional Time Machine.

Anonymous Coward

Android 2.3 offers the same as iOS6, except I suppose for the ability to run anything useful as an App, stability, functionality, battery life, and the usability.

I both use and support a range of mobiles, and one thing we've decided is that if anyone wants to use an Android phone it's BYOD time, we refuse to supply or attempt to support such a load of rubbish. Our rough averages are that an Android phone lasts less than half the time of an Apple, the batteries, well dead lucky that they're replaceable as we've replaced a lot of them, often after as little as six months. Connectivity, especially to corporate email, iPhone, 20 seconds to setup (excluding spelling mistakes), Android, average 2-3 hours, shortest was 20 minutes, longest 3 days; we think it was the position of the moon, or something like that. Briefly, Android, great idea and it probably will be good once it matures, but still waiting.

Anonymous Coward

Too bad you can't back up your statement with facts. You must be an Iphone user or a conservative

Anonymous Coward

""Fuckwits out in force again today I see"

That's a bit harsh on Obviously!"

True- he's hardly out in force, he hasn't been TREATING everyone TO his NOVEL capitalisation and excessive PUNCTUATION!!!!!one

(Yet)

You, like most other people who buy Android phones, made the fatal mistake of purchasing a non-Nexus device. The Nexus line showcase vanilla Android's power and simplicity. Every other manufacturer/operator-modified Android phone is just an extremely poorly butchered relation.

Anonymous Coward

Mass market appeal being it's cheap shit. There's loads of people driving Ford Fiestas who would much sooner be driving a Ferrari or something flash but they can't afford to.

The fact that Google doesn't charge anything for it is a sign that the Android business model only works because they give it away.

"Should I choose to change phones I can pick from a half dozen manufacturers and several hundred models; not two"

That, and the ability to customise and install my own software on my own phone (radical idea I know!) are the reason I switched to Android.

There's still plenty of Apple fans out there, but I think losing Steve (Tim Cook just doesn't generate the same media fawning), a locked-down one size fits all approach in the face of more open competition plus suing first and asking questions later have robbed Apple of some of their "cool".

Mind you, customer retention in the 80% range is still nothing to be sneezed at...

Anonymous Coward

Indeed.

FFS people, it is a bloody phone. It's as bad as the whole C64 vs Speccy playground arguments again.

Every phone makes calls and sends texts, that's all they really need to do, everything else is bonus.

Anonymous Coward

Not to mention malware, it's a massively growing problem on Android.

The most popular platform always gets the malware.

"Funny my Android device lasted 6 months before they ditched it"

Who is "they"? Every phone I've owned continued to work after the manufacturer stopped making them...

"There is LESS need to upgrade with iPhone than Android "

No, there's less REASON to upgrade with iOS. Let's face it, given all the problems and cutbacks iOS6 isn't really an "upgrade". I had a 3GS too, Apple started losing me when they went to iOS4 whose biggest new feature was a new advertising platform for Apple!

"their customer service is second to non (ten months in and my Android smartphone had a problem for which I had to send away to get repaired - several days without a smartphone is hard going)."

Not sure where you are posting from, but in Australia Apple will also swap your phone over straight away, BUT only after you make an appointment in advance, to attend an Apple store in a far flung suburb, not in the capital city where I bought the phone.

Appointments were all a week away so it made no difference - I was still without a working phone for several days in the end, and had to travel 20+kms to get it fixed.

Not saying it wont take a week to send an android away and get a working phone (never had to so I dunno), but in the end the difference is pretty small

"1,000,000's of windows phone customers may disagree"

Don't you mean BOTH customers? </joke>

Seriously though, Windows Phone isn't popular. Maybe in 5-10 years time things may change, but right now sales are pretty piss weak, even with one of the most recognisable brands (Nokia) slapped on the tin.

Bronze badge

You can choose to have an alternate opinion and you can choose to believe that screen size is relevant factor in this.

You mean like "big screen size is so important that we're not going to make small ones" to "we made a small screen size (with crappy resolution/dpi) and it's brilliant" to "big screen size is everything, man", to ... (you get the picture).

"Android, average 2-3 hours, shortest was 20 minutes, longest 3 days; we think it was the position of the moon, or something like that. "

Took the IT guy 30 seconds to set up corporate email on my android. Took me 10 seconds to setup gmail.

You could probably compile Android from scratch AND setup email in 3 days, no idea WTF you could possibly be doing for 3 days.

Staring lovingly at your iphone perhaps?

FAIL

What you mean you had a phone based on android 3.0? The OS that was only for android tablets and had no built in phone functions? Its no wonder you had a bad experience!

Silver badge

"their customer service is second to non"

Yeah right, you only have to sue them to get service: http://forums.reghardware.com/post/1566157

Anonymous Coward

"Connectivity, especially to corporate email, iPhone, 20 seconds to setup (excluding spelling mistakes), Android, average 2-3 hours, shortest was 20 minutes, longest 3 days;"

Obviously you need someone with half a brain cell to do the setting up or someone not wearing boxing gloves.

My corporate connection took me a minute or so (to dig out the server name in Outlook 365) and was away and running.

And a friend of mine has just replaced all company handsets with Samsung (from iPhone) as the iPhones simply didn't last the course....number of "failed" handsets, breakages, dead batteries.... And he was paying a stupid premium for what isn't really a premium handset any more.

Anonymous Coward

Interesting euphemism

Or does "left" mean he could return??

Anonymous Coward

Australia is really fucking big (for the non aussies here) and sparesely populated - 20km is regarded as "just down the street". Fuck, I have been known to drive 150km to go to the pub!

Anonymous Coward

1: Jailbreak

2: Hakulous

3: Download

4: Enjoy

IMHO, companies with Navigon's business model deserve to be pirated.

Anonymous Coward

"my Android phone" niec of you to say which one, so we can deal with lets say oh facts.

My Nokia phone bought 12 years ago, still has more functionality than your "my Android phone" how's that.

Going to buy a Nokia now?

"and still has more functionality than the latest Apple device."

Remind me, how do you back up an android device again? You know so should you lose it and replace it with an identical one, you'd not lose an sms, emails, settings that kind of thing. Lets keep it even, no rooting, faffin, jail breaking, or any other faff just out of the box.....how does that work?

Anonymous Coward

"The most popular platform always gets the malware."

Yeah there is loads of it on S40.....has been for years when it was the most popular platform by absolute miles, same with S60...you are really talking shite there.

or back it up to forgot your phone . com

Anonymous Coward

"FFS people, it is a bloody phone. It's as bad as the whole C64 vs Speccy playground arguments again."

Oh god, you're right. Now, as then, I have both, too- Android and iOS, speccy and '64. Neither is perfect, both are interesting. Foam-flecked adherents of either tend to be angry, incoherent, ill-informed and a little insecure.

FML.

Anonymous Coward

Re: people driving Ford Fiestas

A Fiesta is more practical than a Ferrari for doing what cars are intended to do - everyday transportation. A Ferrari is nothing more than a toy or status symbol. If you want a toy/status symbol smartphone/tablet it's Apple FTW.

Bronze badge
FAIL

Re: people driving Ford Fiestas

Speaking as a Ferrari owner, I would like to suggest that your notion of "what cars are intended to do" is exceedingly limited, and in fact disproven by the very existence of my Ferrari (and all other cars that seek different design goals).

There is no doubt that the Fiesta is more practical around town as an effective, economical vehicle for personal transport than a Ferrari. However that is not the design goal for a Ferrari.

One of my acquaintances has a 3 car garage containing a Fiat 500, a Mercedes 600 V12 and an F50. These 3 cars are designed for entirely different purposes and this real life example demonstrates how limited your vision is. They are all used extensively, depending on the varying factors in play when a vehicle is needed.

I guess you're too poor to either own an iPhone or a Ferrari. Bad luck for you and good luck for me. However your petty jealousy and envy pours from your post, not unlike so many who frequent this forum.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Speaking as a Ferrari owner

You misunderstand me, I'm sure Ferraris are very nice toys (I'm more of a bike person myself). For fun I'm more likely to be fixing an old banger than driving something sporty - horses for courses etc.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums