back to article Pre-ordered a Microsoft Surface? So SORRY it's late, have a voucher

Microsoft is dishing out vouchers to disgruntled Surface customers burned by delays and confusion over shipments of their pre-ordered fondletops. The company has been handing over vouchers worth £50 to those whose Windows-RT tablets have not arrived despite pre-ordering before Thursday’s launch. Surfaces went on sale on 25 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. pewpie
    Angel

Article in brief.

Disappointed with your MS product before you even got it?

Better get used to that..

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Article in brief.

Random geek who doesn`t know what he`s talking about slating Microsoft?

Better get used to that.

1. Jediben
        FAIL

Downvoting an AC? Better get etc etc...

2. yossarianuk

Real geeks don't go near Microsoft products,

1. Jabberwolf

Real geeks do use MS products and do roll them out in the thousands and do check to see if they handle msi packages and AppV, citrix clients, and other desktop management software.

Real geeks do develop for a 90% of the market. And windows 8 sold more in 1 day than the new OSX in , what, a month?

Only faketards who make statements "Real geeks don't go near Microsoft products," say things like that while living off mummy and daddy at college or still live at home with them.

Oh and as for the Surface- Wasnt it supposed to be a failure- but they cant keep them in stock?

It would take something like a Hurricane to keep people from geting those orders.. oh WAIT - Did the reporter miss that small little storm on the East coast of the USA?

1. opaque

Because something that should have been received by last week was disturbed by something that's happened this week?

2. Fatman
          Linux

Re: ""Real Geeks""...

enjoy the pleasure of taking a Linux live CD and wiping anything Microsoft from the hard drives of computers they own.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

No, real geeks relish having knowledge and skill in more than one OS.

Real geeks don't make out that users of the wrong OS are stupid or that the company that made an OS they don't know have never made anything of value.

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"enjoy the pleasure of taking a Linux live CD and wiping anything Microsoft from the hard drives of computers they own."

Real geeks use neither Linux nor Microsoft.

3. h4rm0ny

"Real geeks don't go near Microsoft products,"

Geek is a bizarre cultural export from the American school system where people can't think outside of stereotypes of athletic types and weedy but smart comic book readers. Whether "real geeks" use MS products or not, has little bearing on what professional programmers and IT experts use.

4. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Real geeks don't go near Microsoft products"

Real geeks solve problems using the tools required to get the job done. If that includes MS gear, then a geek uses it. Geeks with self-inflated egos and self-important opinion make posts like " Real geeks don't go near Microsoft products"

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Random geeks?

So, did YOU receive your Surface tablet? Do you know any geeks who HAVE? By your definition, those would be the only ones who DO "know what they're talking about", but it sounds like that would be bigger news than this article.

1. Danny 14

Re: Random geeks?

"Real geeks don't go near Microsoft products"

Im still trying to find a decent replacement for a GPO based solution in a unix or MS environment.

1. yossarianuk

Re: Random geeks?

OpenSUSE has a nice simple LDAP GPO GUI (compatible with AD's domains) in Yast.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Disappointed with your MS product before you even got it?

They are too!

p.s. must be those leaves on the tracks, and this snowfall, so unexpected!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

or a hurricane

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Did someone

Actually buy the Surface RT or is this a publicity stunt?

2. Mike 68

Orders are shipped using UPS

Well, there's your problem. I've had nothing but trouble with them

1. wowfood

Re: Orders are shipped using UPS

There was no word on what had caused the delays and confusion. Orders are shipped using UPS.

Ah UPS, the company that tried to charge me £30 customs fee on a £20 item that, after calling the customs guys was actually exempt from customs charges.

Needless to say I informed them I wouldn't be paying, and I had a written response from customs stating the item was exempt from charges (I didn't, but a little BS goes a long way), and if they wanted their money I'd happily see them in court. I heard no further response.

UPS

Unwarrented Postal Surcharges.

1. Jediben
        Devil

Not to be confused with Damaged Parcel Delivered or Drop it, Hide it, Lose it.

1. AndrueC Silver badge
          Flame

Or 'Yodel' - so called because it makes you scream.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Thay are actually ok until something goes wrong. They have the worst customer service department in the world.

Shipped with them for four years with no problems. We spent just under $50K per year with them. They the problems started.

First we shipped a hard to sell item to Canada and then held the shipment at the local depot requesting a Power of Attorney document. Told the rep that it is not required from us but from the buyer for custom clearance but she insisted it is from us and emailed us the document to us for us to complete and fax back. Complete the document and tried faxing it but the fax machine would not pickup. We we got back in touch with the local department the following day they said they always had problems with their FAX machine so we should fax it to another nearby office... we kept them on the phone and they acknowledge receipt of the fax.

The next day the shipped the package back with our TAX ID written on the label because it was missing the same document which was not required in the first place....

At this point we contacted their main CS department who informed us that no such document was required of us and that delivery was proceeding. Except we had the package in our position. Had to issue a large refund to the buyer and then ship it Express via FedEx.

UPS did not refund our shipping charge.

A month later they ran a forklift through another high value shipment and refused to honor the insure because it was "not properly packaged". We objected in writing with a legal threat and they decided that given the extensive external damage to the package they will honor the warranty. After a month they sent us the documents to file the claim. A month later they told us they need additional pictures even through they had inspected the item a few days after it was delivered. Two weeks later they said they will not pay the claim because of missing documents even though we sent them all the documents they requested. After a phone call they apologized and said we would get a check in the mail in 5 -10 days. One month later we got voice mail saying they need certification of repair cost before they could proceed.

We wrote off the few thousand we had claimed for the damaged merchandise and have not shipped with them since. We have a number of other business partners local who after we shared our experience with them all switched to FedEx, I am sure this cost them $200K plus worth of business over the past year but I guess for a company with revenues in the billions this is not missed.

1. Fatman
          FAIL

One thing I learned a long time ago when dealing with anyone's customer service department, was get the customer service representative's NAME and extension number.

God knows how many times an ID10T in CS tells you a some bullshit in order to avoid having to do their job. Then it is quite refreshing to be able to 'rake them over the coals' later when you figure out that you have been "shit upon".

I had this one CS rep who tried to feed me a line of bullshit, which I wasn't buying, and told her so. As she was hanging up her phone, she let loose a couple of obscenities. She didn't think that I heard her, but not only did I, but my boss, and the cassette recorder on the desk (we were using a speaker phone). I didn't let that one go, and got a hold of her boss. It is kind of hard to deny saying something nasty, when your own words come back to haunt you.

3. hplasm
    Happy

See- they have sold out all stock!

All 10 have gone!

1. Jabberwolf

Re: See- they have sold out all stock!

You are right just multiply that by Million.

All 10 million of already been sold out.

http://www.redorbit.com/news/technology/1112717570/microsoft-surface-preorders-out-102212/

And those are the pre-orders.

2. RICHTO
      Mushroom

Re: See- they have sold out all stock!

There were 3 million in the first run I believe....

4. Richard 81

Aren't they taking their attempt to emulate Apple a little too far?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"They aren't late, your calendar's wrong"?

5. Ye Gads
    Unhappy

I guess this is Microsoft's attempt

to stop us "holding it wrong".

We can pay for it but we're not going to be allowed to sully it with our presence....

6. TheOtherHobbes

They must have sold out

[deadpan]

7. o_0

Mine arrived at lunch

I have no shipping confirmation, it just turned up at lunch today. It was supposed to be here on the Friday.

Still I have a £50 voucher to use which is valid until October 2013 and it only arrived one working day late. I can live with that and so far i'm thoroughly impressed with it!!

*off to play Angry Birds*

8. James Chaldecott
    WTF?

Bad news, Good news

Mine didn't turn up on Friday (and I got the £50 voucher).

Last week I phoned them & told them that rather than delivering to my house (where there would likely be no-one in) they should deliver to my work. Said change to the shipping address was showing on the website.

This morning UPS tried to deliver to my house. No-one was in. Bad form, MS :-(

Just now, UPS *came back and tried again*. That was a surprise! Thumbs up for the UPS driver! :-)

Looking forward to getting home & trying it out, now. Hopefully there's lots of obvious & simple apps missing from the store. Then I can write them and sell them to all the waiting punters. Oh, wait... Erm. Sell them to the other 2 ppl at work that have ordered one! ;-)

9. nsfb

They didn't offer me a voucher... They attempted to take money from my bank this morning (so it was going to be late), but the bank thought it might be a scam so refused payment until I OK'd it. Microsoft then cancelled my order, and I'm back to the end of the queue, so it seems I'll be getting it three weeks late, and no offer of a voucher.

1. Tom 38

Your bank was right.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Err...

MS canceled your order because you didn't pay, due to your bank's anti fraud systems being triggered. Would you have expected any other company to have sent you a product in such circumstances?

10. Ryan Spooner

Got mine! :)

My original email said the 26th, but better late than never I got it this morning. Very happy with it :) Spent the £50 voucher buying a boxed copy of Windows 8.

1. Test Man
      Devil

Re: Got mine! :)

See, there's a method to Microsoft's madness! ;)

11. Ryan Spooner
    Happy

Hurrah!

Got mine today, delivered by UPS. The Microsoft Store website still says "Order In Process" though, which is a really poor demonstration of Microsoft's competence. Regarding the product itself though, I am very impressed with it :)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Hurrah!

Maybe MS haven't been updated by UPS, who seem to be the party at fault here?

2. Ryan Spooner

Well MS haven't even sent me a shipment email to say it's been shipped yet, and the status still says the exact same that it did when I ordered it on the 16th.

12. Systems
    Unhappy

Mine still not here

I ordered one through work and still no sign of it but I got the £50 voucher. Tomorrow is the final delivery date I guess.

13. snowdude
    Flame

It's the lack of information that's killing it

People generally don't mind if delays occur or mistakes happen they just want to be told what's going on. I pre-ordered my Surface over a week ago (before the sold-out information started appearing) and apart from the order confirmation have received nothing telling me what's going on. Not a single email.

A phone call to the support line resulted in more confusion as the rep just re-read my order confirmation to me and told me that the web site information was incorrect. Zero information on when orders would be shipped or why delays were occurring. I don't know why I expected better but I did.

14. RICHTO
    Mushroom

How do you get the voucher? They are shipping it with the product?

1. hplasm
      Angel

But...

you don't know? Has the hurricane/UPS broken your direct line to Ballmer's mind?

I'm shocked!

15. Identity
    Coat

I think I see the problem here...

Time is running backwards in Redmond:

"Microsoft is giving away free upgrades to the Media Center Pack for free to customers who buy Windows 8 Pro between 26 October and 31 January, 2012."

1. Fatman

Re: Time is running backwards in Redmond:

QUICK, get out the DeLorean!!!

16. Dire Criti¢
    Headmaster

Where has all the geek commonsense gone?

Never, ever be the first to spend money on new technology!

1. hplasm
      Meh

Re: Where has all the geek commonsense gone?

I refer you to:-

1. Dire Criti¢

Real geeks use whatever is appropriate/best for the job regardless of who makes it.

1. hplasm
          Meh

REAL Geeks use whatever is to hand and hack it.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like