back to article Hurricane Sandy starts to hit IT providers

Hurricane Sandy's knock-on effects have begun as IT support staff on the Eastern seaboard of the US are evacuated. Hosting provider 1&1 has had to close down its Dedicated Server support team in Pennsylvania as storm warnings have evacuated areas of the Eastern seaboard and shuttered New York stock exchanges. A Reg reader in …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ben Tasker

Nexus announcement

They've made the announcment online if anyone's interested though - Nexus, Best of Google now in three sizes

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Lenexa, KS

The 1&1 in Kansas raised my curiosity, so I checked, and to save anybody else who's interested's time: they are in Lenexa, a suburb of Kansas City.

3. Ilgaz

Weird

I always thought server farms were weather proof and one of safest places to be in natural disasters.

If they evacuate, what is the point of getting dedicated hosting instead of PC+ Debian+ UPS+ Fiber combination?

And all makes fun about people living in rural areas stocking food, setting up shelter etc.

1. Remy Redert

Re: Weird

They're not at a server farm though. As noted, 1&1 does not have any server farms in the area, just a support centre/helldesk.

And while a dedicated server farm is no doubt weather resistant I wouldn't want to test my datacenter's resilience to hurricanes for the first time with me inside it. Let's see some datacenters get hit by F5s and survive more or less unscathed first.

Anybody got examples for the above yet? Wouldn't surprise me if it's already happened before.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Coat

" Let's see some datacenters get hit by F5s..."

I'd want to see mine get hit with a few CTRL-ALT-DELETEs as well.

2. ElNumbre
      Coat

They said the Titanic was unsinkable.

Since then, people have learned that the unexpected can happen.

I've never heard anyone say that DC's are disaster proof, but they are arguably more resiliant than 'the cupboard under the stairs'. Granted, if staff are evacuated to be with their family and friends, the remote hands on may suffer, but then you have mission critical systems, then you're a fool to have all your eggs in one proverbial basket. With N+ redundancy, properly designed DCs stand a better chance of continuing on despite failures either on or off-site, but with the cloudy setups now, you can even work around entire DC failures by spinning up services elsewhere. I wonder how many AWS customers have moved at least some of their operation from Virginia to one or more of Amazon's other DCs.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well is Intel to blame?

They did have to recall "Sandy Bridge" ....

AC.DC but there ain't gonna be a lot of AC for quite a while methinks.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

DC Offline

At least one provider in NY currently appears to be offline.First outage lasted a couple of hours, 2nd outage now - current;y been down for an hour.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like