Feeds

back to article Windows 8: Is Microsoft's new OS too odd to handle?

The big question. You are happily trundling along with Windows 7 and everything is fine. Should you upgrade to Windows 8, at Microsoft's tempting price of £24.99, or $39.99, for a downloadable copy? There is always the safe option of leaving well alone, but tell that to anyone who regretted installing Windows Vista and had to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Anonymous Coward

Yeah, "even Minecraft, whose creator Markus Persson claimed Microsoft is "trying to ruin the PC as an open platform".

He said that shortly after he mentioned in a Rock Paper Shotgun interview that he hadn't even tried Windows 8.

Silver badge

I've never shot myself in the foot, but I'm pretty sure it's an incredible bad idea.

Just because someone hasn't tried something doesn't mean they can't hold an opinion. I've NEVER owned an apple product. But I hold the opinion that I would never own one because they are too locked down for my usage patterns.

Similarly, I've tried WIndows 8 (extensively, and professionally) and I don't like it. There. Suck on that. You're welcome to disagree but just because you've tried something (especially if you HAVEN'T touched it because you disagree with it entirely) doesn't mean you can't hold a valid opinion.

And what does using a particular version of Windows have to do with someone thinking that MS is trying to ruin the PC as an open platform? I don't need to "try" UEFI-boot-key-locked-loaders in order to know that they aren't an "open" platform.

Anonymous Coward

Oh, good, hyperbole.

"Similarly, I've tried WIndows 8 (extensively, and professionally) and I don't like it. There. Suck on that."

If you don't like it and have tried it that's fine by me. I don't care enough to suck on anything you have to offer.

Anonymous Coward

"If you don't like it and have tried it that's fine by me. I don't care enough to suck on anything you have to offer."

Ahh, but you can't say that you don't want to suck on anything Lee has to offer, because you haven't tried it. When you've tried a good long suck, then it will be fine for you to declare that you don't like it?

This post has been deleted by a moderator

Anonymous Coward

Re: Taste

"You don't need to taste manure to know it will not be pleasant"

Parmesan smells like vomit, but tastes quite nice. Coffee smell nice, but really doesn't taste very special. Maybe you could try a manure sandwich, and report back?

This post has been deleted by its author

Anonymous Coward

Re: Parmesan

It also tastes like vomit to some of us. Lactose intolerant, so all milk/cheese literally tastes like vomit. :(

I would at a guess say I'm allergic to Windows 8, so it's even worse!

To be fair to him, he offered no opinion on whether or not sucking anything proffered by lee would be good or bad, only that he didn't want to. Which kind of makes his point.

Bronze badge
Pint

Re: Taste

Hmmm... I wonder if the new Desktop, as cluttered as it seems to be, is the secret initial step towards a solution to the problem that nobody outside Microsoft has yet noticed?

MS: "How do we eventually get advertising onto the Windows Desktop?"

Working backwards: What has UEFI got to do with what people are calling an Open platform. Most programmes still work on Win 8, as stated.

I held an opinion about Apples shiny-GUI-on-a-UNIX platform before I worked with a Mac. I then worked with it. I now have had that reinforced. I can now say with some authority that it sucks as a platform and, if Apple do not move from it in the next couple of years, it is going to be a 'what's that OS called again? OS2, no OSX, yes that was it. Named it after cats, that's right. It's a pussy now init...'

And if locked down is your problem, then hold on, money dictates that lock down is the way to go. Ask Google - they know everything!!!

Headmaster

If no one were allowed to voice and opinion about something until they had had direct personal experience of it, then I doubt we would have many comments here on anything. The sensible option is to agree to a variation of what Pericles of Athens is reported as saying: "Although only a few may have the skills to initiate or decide upon a policy; all may comment on it."

Bronze badge

Upgrading as soon as its available on my subscription - running the release preview and have become used to its changes - a small learning curve, but like the live email and calendar tiles, the screen snapping is well thought out and very useful on a large display... battery life when undocked is a little better, boot, hibernate and restarts are slightly faster, all in enough small tweaks to make it a good update.

Anonymous Coward

I'll pass on this one

Even though I can get it now from MSDN.

Reasons?

1) I don't do touch. My stonking great finers really don't work all that well with tough interfaces.

2) If I did install it then the first thing I'd do would be to install a start menu app and get rid of metro.

3) Why bother when I'll be working with Server 2012 and there is no way any of my customers would let 'metro' or whatever it is called and all its crap media/social apps anywhere near their servers. None of the mare 'connected' to the internet anyway so why bother?

4) If it ain't broke don't fix it. Win 7/Server 2008 is fine. There are no compelling USP's in win 8 that would make me want to upgrade.

5) not impressed by their 'cool shiny, me too, press here and let me take over your whole screen' approach to desktops.

(yes I know I can get round most of it. I did spend a week with it but it failed all of MY, repeat MY usability tests).

Go

Re: I'll pass on this one

My experience is the diametric opposite. I write software, so use the keyboard and mouse a lot, even forgetting to do touch on my Samsung Slate when really absorbed in work.

All of the apps I use a lot are pinned to the task bar. System tasks are accessed through shortcuts I've managed to memorise quickly (http://www.wittenburg.co.uk/Blog.aspx?id=fb1c365c-dbd7-45ef-be95-03b294fe4697).

Apps I use occasionally are in the first group of tiles in the Metro UI. My bookmarks in the second, and the remaining odds and sods follow. Games bring up the rear, because I only go over there when I'm bored (not often). The upshot is that hitting the Windows key and typing works well to find an app, but I never seem to use that. Apps have familiar locations, and the mouse almost goes to the right tile without me even looking too hard.

The best thing about W8 that I only just discovered is being able to create an image that includes my drivers, network config etc, and then restore to that image by clicking a button (I rebuild my dev box *at least* 4 times a year).

Each to their own, obviously.

"My stonking great finers really don't work all that well with tough interfaces."

I'm honestly not sure whether tough interfaces was intentional or a wonderful Freudian slip.

Happy

Maybe the OP was actually posting in a tocuh screen with his "stonking great finers"?

N2

Re: I'll pass on this one - Agreed

1) I don't do touch. - Yes, i occasionally pick my nose also.

2) If I did install it then the first thing I'd do would be to install a start menu app and get rid of metro. - Me too.

3) Why bother - nuff said.

4) If it ain't broke don't fix it. Win 7/Server 2008 is fine. Agreed

5) not impressed by their 'cool shiny, me too, press here and let me take over your whole screen' approach to desktops. & take over everything else. Agreed

Im grateful Microsoft only interfere with the computing industry, in any other discipline I think they'd be laughed out of court instead of all the way to the bank.

FAIL

Windows8 Metro/ModernUI is the most lazy thing in IT ever

And the most childish and unusable too.

Forcing the MetroUI on Windows Server 2012 shows just how out of mind people at Microsoft under Steve Ballmer control really are.

WindowsPhone7.x had 2-3% market share at best... and Microsoft is telling lies that everyone loves Metro and everyone wants Metro ?

WindowsPhone8/WinRT8 on smartphones and tablets is just another big Zune failure... actually worse than that.

Microsoft deserves to go bankrupt on the whole Metro fraud thing.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Windows8 Metro/ModernUI is the most lazy thing in IT ever

"Microsoft deserves to go bankrupt on the whole Metro fraud thing."

No they don't. If they did, the disruption on the lives of the employees that lost their jobs would be far greater than the disruption caused to your life by a UI you don't like. Also, if you think MS being overzealous with metro rollout and marketing is a crime worthy of bankruptcy, then god knows what consequences you would suggest for other businesses (and MS) that get up to things far, far worse than that.

If you don't like it, then don't use it. Simple. If everyone else takes the same approach, then the market will speak for itself and MS will either be rewarded for giving people what they want or punished for not doing so, as has happened with several of their products that have failed to catch on (fortunately without bankrupting them).

JDX
Gold badge

Apple had 0% of the smart-phone market and the tablet market, and decided what everyone needed.

I applaud MS for taking the bold move and pushing what they think is a step forward, even if it IS crap. If nobody tried to revolutionise for fear of failing, we would not get anywhere.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Windows8 Metro/ModernUI is the most lazy thing in IT ever @Eadon

Bollocks.

Thumb Down

Far better companies went bankrupt for no real reason and had much better products.

Microsoft employees the majority of them only deserve to be fired.

The minority that can make products like Windows7 working will surely find a better job in other Companies/Corporations.

The other ones are just suckers. Lazy suckers.

"countless more jobs would be created and more wealth generated"

How?

Silver badge
Stop

Re: "countless more jobs would be created and more wealth generated"

Let's suppose Microsoft did end up going bust over Windows 8.

Emergency legislation probably would be rushed through, dedicating Microsoft's former IP to the Public Domain; that would take care of any immediate availability problems. Absent the Source Code, though, Windows would be unmaintainable; so there would still be a long-term need to migrate away from it, sooner or later.

Firms would most probably employ local programmers to help with the migration effort. Local people spend their money in local stores. They eat in local restaurants, drink in local pubs and take their families to visit local tourist attractions; ensuring that money which ordinarily would have been sent abroad to Microsoft, remains in the local economy. This money provides employment for sales assistants, catering staff and tourist guides, all of whom are necessary to enhance the now-flush programmers' "spending experience".

Silver badge
Devil

> Emergency legislation

"Going bust" doesn't mean disappearing in a puff of smoke. It just means the company can no longer pay its creditors, so needs to be "liquidated". If there are valuable assets, they will be sold to raise money to pay the creditors - (which is why all the bitching and moaning about sharkish financiers dropping by and ripping into the corpse - as opposed to holding up the taxpayer to come up with cash, which is supposedly good value for money, one wonders how - are retarded). There might be "Qatari Windows 9" for example.

Anonymous Coward

Re: "Qatari Windows 9"

Yah think? Try Oracle Windows 9, and let me know how that works for you.

Silver badge
Stop

Re: Oracle Windows 9

*Shudder*

Anonymous Coward

@ Eadon Re: Windows8 Metro/ModernUI is the most lazy thing in IT ever

Hah hah, yeah, it would be 'the year of Linux on the desktop'

PMSL

F hate this site, Do Not F wipe the text out when you press forward or back by mistake (it goes grey just to take the Pss when you click on it gets deleted)

users do not like change, they take the system back and get an windows 7 system (not typing all what i just did)

Silver badge

If Microsoft went bust, another company would buy the copyrights from the liquidators. There is a good chance that that company would be even worse then MS.

Bronze badge

Re: "Qatari Windows 9"

Bejing Windows 9 surely.

Honestly, you're not supposed to post reasonable, thought-out messages here, you know. It is the ideal forum for people to spew out the vitriol they would not dare to do in real life.

I agree with you, by the way.

FAIL

Having used Window 8 preview for nearly a year now I can say I won't be recommending anyone to downgrade to this poor version on Windows. Like all even numbered version, wait until Windows 9. I rarely used the Metro/modern interface as it clogs up 50% of the screen with awful colored blocks and makes the other 50% completely useless. Ribbons do not make things easier, they merely waste time with their illogical ordering of useful commands. I'll be sticking with Windows 7 unless 9 shows improvements.

Long overdue

"new dialogue box during file copying that shows all the underway transfers with options to pause and resume them"

Silver badge
WTF?

Re: Long overdue

Why on earth would you want to pause a file copy? Does it put 'click here to keep a lock on the source file and fuck up the destination file' in the tooltip text when you hover the mouse over the button or something?

Silver badge

Re: Long overdue

If you are copying a large amount of stuff which is saturating your disk/network IO, slowing everything down; you might want to pause it for a couple of minutes to do something else.

Anonymous Coward

Nope - stick on Windows 7.

Hate MetroUI, and don't want to be railroaded into a Microsoft dependency for my movies, music, apps, games.

That is what they are trying to achieve with this. Windows 8 will introduce Metro apps, Windows 9 will remove Win32, and everything Microsoft makes will then be reliant upon it.

No thanks. I won't be part of their statistic that they give to developers to try and convince them that writing for this years runtime is what they want to be doing...

IT Angle

Re: Nope - stick on Windows 7.

If they didn't do this we would still be coding for 16bit apps, its called progression.

Simple: Don't like it? use something else

Anonymous Coward

Such as?

That's the thing here, like it or not, Microsoft Windows is a monopoly.

Thus if you don't like it, you're pretty much ****ed.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Such as?

Of course, if you do like it, you are ****ed like a "mare 'connected' to the internet".

Bronze badge

"That's the thing here, like it or not, Microsoft Windows is a monopoly.

Thus if you don't like it, you're pretty much ****ed."

Errm... There are _lots_ of people who aren't dependent on Windows. I, personally, have quite a few computers, most of which don't run Windows. And of the ones which do run Windows, one is still running XP (and will continue to do so until it dies; as it is a well-constructed and well-maintained box, I suspect that it will continue to serve for a long time) and others are running Server 2003 and Server 2008 (all the servers are, like the XP machine, hand-built systems so I know _exactly_ what's where 'cause I'm the one who put it there, and all of which are also unlikely to die any time soon) and the others are running Win 7. Unless and until there is some software which requires Win 8 I simply will keep using the existing systems. My non-Windows systems mostly run BSD and Mac OS X 10.6; Apple can kiss my ass before I contaminate my machines with 10.7 or 10.8. Yes, this means that I have no support from them. Look real hard and see how much I care.

Happy

Speak for yourself.

Not used any Microsoft trash in years, I am far from fornicated.

This post has been deleted by its author

Silver badge
Happy

I have two Windows 8 Beta machines and two Windows 7 machines,

The two Betas will be upgraded to the full version and the Windows 7 machines will stay as 7.

If you have a Windows 7 machine there is pretty much zero reason to change unless you need to smear fingerprints over a new glossy touchscreen monitor, but that's your perversion not mine.

If however, you have an older laptop dual core laptop with 2GB+ of ram running XP or an older copy of Vista then I think its worthwhile to upgrade that for the better performance and security features alone.

Once you repoint all the default Apps to the desktop ones its fine to use.

Silver badge
Holmes

"You are happily trundling along with Windows 7 and everything is fine. Should you upgrade to Windows 8"? -- No

Anonymous Coward

Windows 8? No thank you.

I'll wait for Windows 9. Expected to be released in 2014.

Good luck Microsoft!

Anonymous Coward

Re: Windows 8? No thank you.

Wow Eadon, this sums up your posts...

http://fatmohnscoop.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/blahblah.jpg

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.