Feeds

back to article Microsoft has no plans for a second Windows 7 Service Pack

Waiting for a second Windows 7 Service Pack? Keep waiting – it doesn't sound like Microsoft will be releasing one. Sources close to Microsoft's sustained engineering team, which builds and releases service packs, have told The Register there are no plans for a second Windows 7 SP – breaking precedent on the normal cycle of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Anonymous Coward

Bully Boy

Anonymous Coward

Would you like to check those dates? MS don't have EOL on 7 until 2015.

2013 would have people up in arms, and rightly so. 8 is shit.

Anonymous Coward

Will now go to iOS.

Trollface

Terrible troll

iOS is the mobile version of the of Apple provides.

So your going from a full featured desktop OS, to a mobile OS? lulz.

Silver badge

Learning from XP

> there are no plans for a second Windows 7 SP – breaking precedent on the normal cycle of updating Windows

Microsoft found to their cost that their biggest competitor for O/S's was .... themselves.

The success of XP, which is still casting a long shadow over O/S releases has taught them to tighten up A LOT on the planned obsolescence of their products. W7 was undoubtedly a success and stood to to be the next "XP" (given that it only had to compete with Vista - not really much of a contest). However, it seems that MS have learned from the mistake of making an O/S too successful and are ensuring that W7 will die in a timely manner, such that it's continued support doesn't stop people from being forced into upgrading.

If there was ever an opportunity for another O/S to find itself a unique selling proposition, long term support for (say) a 10 year lifespan would be a very tempting idea. Presuming the O/S in question wasn't so buggy it needed patching every month.

Re: Learning from XP

Ubuntu used to look like a good candidate. Not so much these days.

It's certainly not going to be a thin browser-only OS.

Devil

Looks like the Microsoft upgrade treadmill just started turning a bit faster.

Silver badge

>Microsoft found to their cost that their biggest competitor for O/S's was .... themselves.

This reminds me of Vauxhall.

Me: "I want a set of brake pads for a 2004 Astra please"

Spares dept: "Sorry, we don't stock parts for cars over 5 years old"

Me: "Why would I need parts for a car less than 5 years old?"

Go

> If there was ever an opportunity for another O/S to find itself a unique selling proposition, long term support for (say) a 10 year lifespan would be a very tempting idea. Presuming the O/S in question wasn't so buggy it needed patching every month.

CentOS 6 anyone? It's free (or you can go the RHEL 6 route for paid support), has updates for 10 years, point releases a few times a year (think service packs) and the occasional updates inbetween for critical security/bug fixes. In other words, much like Windows, except with more regular service packs.

I use the same CentOS 6 ISO on both desktops and servers (no need for the desktop vs. server distinction Windows releases have) and it's a very stable platform to do serious stuff on. GNOME 2, GRUB 1 and Sys V Init make system admin and the desktop experience so much nicer than any other distro, IMHO.

Mushroom

Oh good.

I can hardly wait till Microsoft Office becomes a mandatory annual expense and compulsory upgrade, with new yearly releases and total backwards incompatibility with all previous versions, and a self expiring, non renewable 12 month license.

Silver badge
Joke

Re: "Why would I need parts for a car less than 5 years old?"

It's a Vauxhall?

Gold badge
Facepalm

They don't stock them, because nobody in their right mind would pay their prices for parts on a car that's out of warranty and thus has no need of GM branded components.

In your case, a set of perfectly good quality pads bought from your local factors will cost about half of what those ripoff merchants want.

Silver badge

Me: "I want a set of brake pads for a 2004 Astra please"

I had a related experience many years ago

"can I have a steering wheel bearing for a 1972 Viva" - " Sorry we don't stock them there's no demand, you'll need to order it, I said the same thing this morning to a guy that wanted one "

kb
WTF?

Uhhh...you ALREADY get 10 years from MSFT, the 2015 is just mainstream support where you get new features, which lets be honest MSFT never came through on the new features thing, just ask those that bought Win Vista Ultimate on that promise.

The end date for Win 7 as far as security patches, which lets be honest is all anybody really cares about, is 2020. So you have more than enough time to just skip Win 8, the trainwreck franketstein baby of Windows and WinPhone, and stick with Win 7 which is nice. in fact so far I've managed to skip two MSFT OSes, I went from Win2K to WinXP X64 (which was really Win2K3 Workstation) thus skipping XP, and I went from XP X64 to Win 7 thus skipping Vista. It really isn't hard to do.

As for those that complain about not having patches rolled into a service pack? WSUS Offline is your friend, and is even easier than a MSFT SP since it will let you roll in .NET, MS Office, and MSE updates along with the OS patches if you so choose. Its "clicky clicky, go have a sammich" easy and frankly beats MSFT service packs by a country mile, i highly recommend.

K
Bronze badge
Facepalm

LOL...

Windows requires an update, 1000 updates to apply... click Here to proceed.. Time left, 15 days, 7 hours and 25 minutes!

They honestly expect companies to ditch XP when they have essentially told the "Sys Admin's" who make the decisions to go f*ck themselves... FAIL!

Coat

Re: LOL...

"Windows requires an update, 1000 updates to apply... click Here to proceed.. Time left, 15 days, 7 hours and 25 minutes!"

Clearly a made up scenario. Fifteen days would never give you enough time for all the required reboots.

"You have updated Notepad. Your system needs to be rebooted"

FAIL

Huh?

There's been only a handful of updates that require a reboot during the whole time Windows 7 has been out. And that would include the SP1.

FAIL

2 favourite things.

1. Propera English Spellling - with S instead of American Bastardised Z.

3. Bashing the management of Microsoft.

5. Other people who heap shit on them and their practices as well.

Anonymous Coward

Utter bollocks. Every single update set requires at least two reboots... the first time it reboots it just goes to the blue screen '33% done applying updates' then reboots AGAIN, and picks up from the 33% mark. Plus it takes forever... how come 10 updates take five minutes to install when debian can install 50 updates in synaptic in less than a minute? The Windows update mechanism just plain SUCKS, even after decades of trying to get it right...

Bronze badge
Headmaster

@Oh4FS:

1. Propera [sic] English Spellling - with S instead of American Bastardised Z.

H.W.Fowler, writing in 1926 in his A Dictionary of Modern English Usage noted that the 'z' sound in an -ize ending is voiced (that is, pronounced like "eyes" rather than like "ice"). He further noted that this method of forming a verb from a noun follows that of a Greek construction employing the letter Zeta, which is conventionally transliterated into English as a 'Z' (not an 'S') so -ize should be considered correct.

He went on to say: "Most English printers follow the French practice of changing -ize to -ise; but the OED of the Oxford University Press, the Encyclopaedia Britannica of the Cambridge University Press, The Times, & American usage, in all of which -ize is the accepted form, carry authority enough to outweigh superior numbers."

I don't know why so many of us Brits think that -ise is correct and that it is only the Yanks who write -ize, but this seems to be one area in which American spelling is definitely superior (though the Americans do tend to use 'z' in other words, such as "analyse" in which it has no place).

Bod

1000 updates - that's more what I see when I occasionally boot into any of my linux distros. I maybe use them once or twice a month, and there are literrally hundreds if not thousands and it's a few hundred MB of updates to download. Half of them are critical security updates to many of the bazillion unecessary software packs bundled with the distribution that you have no idea if you need or not.

Windows - about 15 on average, usually every second Tuesday of the month. If you ignore the more frequent one that just updates some definition files and doesn't need a reboot.

Silver badge

Plus, they call it a 'zee' instead of a proper 'zed'

Boffin

Actually the Z is olde english, it is indeed the UK that has changed the Z to S in more recent times. The Z that Americans use is in fact the correct version, as per Stephen Fry on QI.

However they do mess with the 'u' in words.

As to Windows, well openoffice and the little penguin do me fine with a yearly update, and I don't need to update as often, so I can do the same for windows by completely ignoring everything to do with win 8 and hoping 9 is as good as 7.

Anonymous Coward

who deploys fresh installs in enterprise anyway? Just image the systems and keep you gold image upto date (say every 3 months).

You're assuming they're even trying to "get it right." Microsoft is the company that made people believe that it's perfectly natural to have to reboot your computer with great frequency.

"Plus, they call it a 'zee' instead of a proper 'zed'"

Zed's Dead baby, Zed's dead...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7Yp2L6c2KM

Anonymous Coward

I don't give a fuck - really, in being some 40 something years young, I have grown to hate Merriken spell chequers, telling me I am insane, and driving me insane, by constantly telling me I am spellink my spellink rong.

It's not spelled rong, it's spelt rite.

That and fucking imperial and imperial metric mixes.....

23 Degrees Rankin feet-newton calorie watts of torque pounds.

"Face Planting the Orbiter on Marrs - Dear Merriken?"

Anonymous Coward

1000 updates

It's not a thousand, more like a hundred or few hundred, but that quantity STILL manages to update the OS far quicker than the 15 MS ones, and mostly without needing a reboot!

Anonymous Coward

Wankers

If they think that by doing so, they will Force/tempt people into buying windows 8, thats the death knell of MS monopoly over OS. SHooting own foot by annoying loyal consumers.

Guess thats what happens to large arrogant corporations. Taking too much for granted. They have unwittingly given a boost to Linux OS.

Hey Linux, here they come.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Hey Linux, here they come.

If you could hold your breath while you wait that'd be awesome...

Re: Wankers

I am now running Mint Debian rolling updated, and have tried several desktops. I am still fond of Enlightenment. Hardcaste the skirtwearer perferes LXFE, so it all works for us.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Wankers

Most people buy a new PC with an OS and won't be arsed which version it is, they'll use it.

Companies will wait till the Hardware replacement cycle and upgrade then.

Exactly who, apart from the "hacked copies" and borrowed serial number brigade is worried?

My company only adds patches when necessary, our firewall and securty teams keep the nasties out, we still use a mix of XP Pro SP2 and Win 7 Ultimate, adding Win8 pc's to the mix will not alter much.

Bronze badge
Unhappy

Re: Most people buy a new PC with an OS and won't be arsed which version it is, they'll use it.

Actually it's usually worse than that :-

Q) What operating system are you using.

A) We use office.

Ummm...

not just the updates.. what about the hotfixes

I have had to install a number of hotfixes to resolve various issues which our environment experiences and there are hotfixes for. As far as I am aware hotfixes arent available via the normal WSUS and have to be downloaded / deployed manually.

I was hoping for an SP2 to roll all these into one, along with the updates..

Bronze badge

Re: not just the updates.. what about the hotfixes

I expect someone will produce a tool to build a virtual service pack. Remember AutoPatcher? MS killed it, although it was just an online aggregator of available downloads, but something run locally rather than on the web shouldn't attract unwanted attention.

Boffin

End of life

"Microsoft will keep updating Windows 7 using patches released each month until support for Windows 7 comes to an end. That date is currently slated for 24 months after the most current SP – that’s SP1, which was released in February 2011 – and would put end of life at February 2013."

Not according to Microsoft. XP will be supported until April 2014, and Windows 7 until January 2020.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/products/lifecycle

Silver badge
Linux

Re: End of life

Yeah, Support ending in February 2013 just seems to be Comment-Bait

The date the article mentions seems to be an entry referring to the support for service packs. However if you read their support policy for service packs:

"When support for a product ends, support of all the service packs for that product will also end. The product’s support lifecycle supersedes the service pack support policy"

So the standard and extended support dates still stand.

OS Mainstream Support Extended Support

Windows 7 January 12, 2015 January 14, 2020

Headmaster

Re: End of life - comment bait or...

...Gavin didn't read the note properly on the M$ website that he included a link to:

"Support ends 24 months after the next service pack releases or at the end of the product's support lifecycle, whichever comes first."

As there is not (yet...) a next Win7 SP then it's the same as the Mainstream/Extended Support End Dates for Win7 generally (2015 and 2020 respectively).

Silver badge
Holmes

"The date the article mentions seems to be an entry referring to the support for service packs. However if you read their support policy for service packs:" -- Yeah, that was mentioned in the post I was replying to.

Silver badge

Short notice

Well, three months is fairly short notice. But I guess it is finally time to make the break. I shall go over to OpenSuSE Linux as my main OS, and either run Windows 7 in a VM, or use Crossover to run whatever apps aren't satisfactorily ported to Linux. It's a pity, as Windows 7 is quite good for a Microsoft product. Maybe because they got over themselves and concentrated on making something that worked after the fiasco of Vista, rather than trying to do anything new and clever.

Mind you, I'm disappointed that The Reg can't tell us whether the world's most widely used OS has three months or eight years of supported life left.

Silver badge

Re: Short notice

According to the MS support site, 2013 is the end of SP support. Mainstream support ends in 2015 and Extended support ends in 2020. So no need to rush unless the lack of SPs is a serious pain.

Devil

You mean nothing to me know I have you.

"Service packs are a pain for Microsoft, because they divert engineers’ time and budget from building new versions of Windows."

Yea, nothing worse than having to support all those people that bought a product from us. I mean, they've already given us the money, can't they just go away?

Silver badge

Re: You mean nothing to me know I have you.

No, they're not supposed to go away, they're supposed to come back and buy more of our stuff. The manufacturing world's business practice of Planned Obsolescence is finally making it into the software world.

Anonymous Coward

Of course there will be no SP2.....

Until not having an SP2 becomes a threat to MSFT's credibility. Then there will be an SP2.

Gold badge

Re: Of course there will be no SP2.....

Yes. Wasn't Vista originally touted as the release that was going to be so reliable that it would never need a Service Pack?

I don't recall that one working out well for them either.

Silver badge

Re: Of course there will be no SP2.....

I think I recall MS being guilted into releasing XP SP3 after never planning to as well.

FAIL

It's egg-on-face time again!

Clearly they are looking down the barrel of poor uptake for W8, and want to avoid looking bad, but I can't see how this can end well for them. If we accept that W8 will not be a sell-out success, then what?

Users stick with W7 until eventually moving away from a Windows PC - quite likely for home users

They cave in and do a SP2, admitting that W8 wasn't what the market wanted

Do a W8 SP, or W9 that is more in line with a W7 upgrade - they could at least spin this as being a version aimed at power-users,ie people who need a real pc, rather than a media tablet.

FAIL

Re: It's egg-on-face time again! - not

Unless home users give up on Windows altogether and go with a tablet that isn't Surface or Surface Pro, what else is there in your local PC World that isn't Windows?

What people on here seem to forget, is that the great mass of people out there, who use computers, couldn't give a flying wotsit about whether their computer runs Windows or not. All they care about is being able to connect to Facebook, check emails, do IM and play their games.

We may be moving away from the tower system towards laptops and tablets, but the vast majority of people in the world couldn't even tell you what an operating system is, let alone that Windows is the OS they use. They will just see Windows 8 and think that it is automatically better than Windows 7 and use it.

Here's a simple challenge for you. Find 20 people (maybe your less computer savvy work colleagues) and ask them what browser they use to connect to the internet. I bet over half would say "Windows".

I rest my case m'lud.

Silver badge

Re: It's egg-on-face time again! - not

Actually, most of the people I've asked that question in the past respond with "Google." And they're not talking about the Chrome browser, either.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.