Facebook has donated $250k it seized from spammers to an academic centre of excellence in the fight against cybercrime. The University of Alabama at Birmingham's Center for Information Assurance and Joint Forensics Research will use the cash to build an expanded version of the faculty, due to open next year. The centre helped …
What happened here?
How can Facebook 'seize' money and then decide to 'donate' it to someone? If I know my neighbour is a drug dealer, can I break into his house, 'seize' any cash I find and then donate it to a drug abuse charity?
I thought that legal authorities have to become involved.
Re: What happened here?
Perhaps the "seized" money was actually facebook credits, rather than coke-permeated dollar bills.
But even then I'd expect some form of law enforcement agency taking part in the operation
Giving away seized money-
That'll help the share price!
Is this like...
...doping then donating money to the anti-doping lab to make sure you know how it works?
- Product round-up Coming clean: Ten cordless vacuum cleaners
- Vulture at the Wheel Ford's B-Max: Fiesta-based runaround that goes THUNK
- Worstall @ the Weekend BIG FAT Lies: Porky Pies about obesity
- Yahoo! blames! MONSTER! email! OUTAGE! on! CUT! CABLE! bungle!
- 'Snoopers' Charter IS DEAD', Lib Dems claim as party waves through IP address-matching