Feeds

back to article Nokia flings low-end Lumia at developing world

Nokia has officially unveiled the Lumia 510, a budget Windows Phone handset unlikely to excite enthusiasts of the latest tech. With us Westerners distracted by incoming Windows Phone 8 kit, the Finnish firm today set its sights on flooding the developing market with more of yesterday's tech. And after the company pulled the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
FAIL

Aren't ALL Lumias and Windows Phone low-end?

All the ones I have seen so far are....

Anonymous Coward

Re: Aren't ALL Lumias and Windows Phone low-end?

Low end is subjective. So long as the user doesn't have to spend time waiting for things to happen, or watching UI animations stutter and/or fail, the actual hardware specification is irrelevant to most people.

Just because certain OS's require X cores and Y gig of RAM to run smoothly does not mean that other platforms are the same.

Silver badge

Lucky them

A gimped mango phone just in time for platform obsolescence.

Anonymous Coward

$199??

This must be some usage of the phrases "budget", "low-end", and "developing world" that I'm unfamiliar with. At that price point, it's hardly going to compete with the sub-$100 Android devices that dominate the smartphone market in the developing countries I visit in Asia and Africa.

Worse, not only do many of the Android phones have better tech specs than the Lumia 510, but they actually properly support non-Latin languages; the last Lumia WinPho I played with had such terrible support for Chinese, for instance, that I eventually just gave up trying to use it.

Pie

Re: $199??

Odd, I paid £90 for a Lumia 710. a couple of months ago. Works fine

Thumb Up

Re: $199??

That's because someone wanted rid of it desperately.

I have one too, I paid £30, and it indeed works just fine. It stops my living room door slamming shut when the patio doors are open.

Anonymous Coward

Your Lumia 710 works fine?

In Chinese, you mean?

Thumb Up

You pad £30 for a doorstop?

Next time you need one I'll sell you one for £29.99. That way we both win!

This topic is closed for new posts.