Feeds

back to article FTC issues guidelines on facial recognition technology

The Federal Trade Commission has issued a staff report on best practices for companies using facial recognition technology in their businesses. "Fortunately, the commercial use of facial recognition technologies is still young," the report states. "This creates a unique opportunity to ensure that as this industry grows, it does …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Time and again FTC displays remarkably forward-thinking and technology-aware attitude and genuinely strives to protect consumers. And all for naught. The agency needs some serious dental work as fact that it's completely toothless has been apparent since its settlement with Google for pocket change.

Thumb Down

Am I the only one here who has a violent gag reaction when he sees the phrase 'best practices'?

Silver badge
Meh

Which part of 'facial technology' ....

when used in toilets can differentiate between the left and right posterior 'cheeks'?

Silver badge

Re: Which part of 'facial technology' ....

Distance between eyes = 0 will probably trigger some default action.

Coat

Re: Which part of 'facial technology' ....

"Distance between eyes = 0 will probably trigger some default action."

"Politician Detected"

Holmes

Prognostications

I predict the following:

1) These guidelines will receive just as warm a welcome within the industry as the Do Not Track initiative has enjoyed within the online advertising community, and will be similarly ignored.

2) Eventually, some malformed, loophole-ridden, feel-good legislation will be passed to "protect consumers", but will offer little actual benefit to the population. (cf. the massive changes brought about by the EU cookie directive)

3) Some federal agency will establish a department specifically to police this industry, but it will immediately succumb to regulatory capture by the large market players.

4) The government will require access to all of this data via some form of CALEA-like legislation. In order to protect us. And for freedom and stuff.

Yes, yes: I know I'm going really far out on a limb with these farfetched prophecies... (*cough*)

This topic is closed for new posts.