back to article Apple to live-stream Tuesday's 'a little more' event

In a break with recent practice, Apple will provide a live video stream of its "a little more" event to be held Tuesday morning at 10am Pacific Time at San José's California Theater. As world+dog must know by now, the event is widely expected to feature the debut of the oft-rumored iPad mini. Other candidates for announcement …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Oninoshiko
    Meh

First thought: Are any non-fanboys interested in watching anyway?

Second thought: Wasn't APPL the great messiah of the open internet, taking a stand against the awful oppressive regime of Flash and Java?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Thanks to the inertia (and industry laziness) riding on Flash, cross-browser HTML5 live broadcasting is still a joke, especially at this scale. Things are just beginning now.

AAPL of course wouldn't fallback to Flash now.

2. h3

I dunno why people like information as videos.

(It is just unbelievably dull - Those unboxing videos that people like I really don't get).

So much easier to just read about something.

3. h3

And far far less boring

4. jeremyjh
    Go

Actually found an unboxing video useful this week...

...it was set to weird music, but it did at least help me wind up which plug belonged to the 2nd gen Apple TV I was offloading for far more than I paid for it.

Back on-topic, though - watching the video showing off the keynote venue as we wait for the actual thing to start, it doesn't seem that low key to me!

5. Spearchucker Jones
    Go

Non-fanbois can watch too.

VLC will work. You just need the M3U8 URL, which you can find here:

http://a1.mzstatic.com/us/r1000/000/Features/oct_2012_event/LIVE/en/1.xml

The actual URL may change, but the XML file should remain the same.

Note: This post is informational. I'm not watching, and if His Jobsyness strikes you down with a bold of ObjectiveC... blame the guy that doesn't speak English.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Non-fanbois can watch too.

Or, just go to Engadget or whoever is covering the event. But hey, if we were the sort of people who would do something simple, when a complicated and geeky way would do as well, we wouldn't read The Register.

6. Big_Ted
    FAIL

$329 no thanks

And those who have just bought the new iPad will be really pissed off. iPad 4 announced same price but twice the speed processor etc.......

No mention of fixing Maps either....

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Um, nah

It's not got retina display. And it's not really that cheap-it's not competing with the Nexus 7 properly, even though the competition has a better screen. Other than the ecosystem, it's Apple snoozing.

I could have bought this, really. But no thanks, not interested.

8. jarjarbinks

A Little More is right...

"A little more" is exactly what this is. It's hardly anything. It's a little smaller, a lot less resolution, less cpu, less memory, and is still too expensive to be competitive to the 7" $200 or so tablets. Why not just spend $100 more and get the faster/better device for 2" bigger screen?

Of ALL the companies in the world that COULD rock the boat on this device, Apple with it's huge cash flow should have brought it out at a loss to take market share. They are making such high profit margins on their phones and tablets.. why not rock the boat, and sell it for $200. It would fly off the shelves at that price and apple would continue to take market share.

Frankly, as a google/android fan, I am really happy they brought it out for this price.. because I don't think it will slow down the momentum of the $200 tablets much at all. The Nexus 7 is a much meatier beast than this ipad mini.. more processor, graphics, better screen and resolution. The only benefit, if you can call it that given how good Android 4.1 is, is the iOS eco-system. I personally don't find it any better except for the audio apps.. apps like drum/mpc/synths are much smoother on apple.. otherwise any app on apple is pretty much duplicated 10x over on android.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Apple doesn't think it needs to compete on price with the Kindle Fire and Nexus 7

I can't say I really disagree until and unless people don't buy the Mini - which I doubt is going to happen. Me, I'm a cheap ass so unless someone gives me one - which is the only reason I own an iPad2 - it's not for me, but I suspect there will be plenty of punters willing.

Overall a decent show by Apple today I think - 13" Retina MBP, new crazy-thin iMac, updated Mac Mini, new (already... really?) iPad (4) and the iPad Mini (with complementary "blue, green, pink, light grey, dark grey" smart cover - a poke in Redmond's eye for the surface perhaps?). Newer, better, prettier shiny shinies... oh, and not cheap : )

10. Big_Ted
    Devil

Apple shares down 2.57% since announcement

Looks like more and Fandroids like me are going Meh......

11. Radelix

meh

read specs

Saw price

Saw no retina

will not recommend

12. Wensleydale Cheese
    Thumb Down

So much for the live broadcast

It wasn't working here.

Not impressed.

This topic is closed for new posts.