back to article Head of Facebook EMEA tentacle to become Tech City UK chief

London's Tech City has poached a top Facebook VP to become its new CEO. In what is seen as a coup for the Tech City Investment Organisation, Joanna Shields, VP and Managing Director of Facebook Europe, Middle East and Africa has now taken up the £115,000-a-year CEO job. The work will involve her pushing forward Tech City's key …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Bronze badge
Unhappy

Really........

So, no tech, poor location (cost, accessibility, talent) - where does this administration think they are - or maybe what are they smoking? Not that the last lot were any better.

I'm surprised Steve Bong hasn't had anything to say about this. Has anyone at the Reg approached him for a comment yet?

Anonymous Coward

It's Monday AM - the Bongster will still be deciding which pair of baggy crotched low-rider strides to put on before heading off for a chai latte (with skinny soya milk and mashmallow sprinkles) at Starbucks.

Silver badge
IT Angle

I'd do it for £110,000.

Bronze badge
WTF?

£115K

That's actually a really reasonable salary for a CEO-type job, if not a bit low.

Re: £115K

I thought the Tories were supposed to be saving taxpayers money or is that only making savings on pleb level wages and lower?

Bronze badge
Paris Hilton

Is this a govie position? I wasn't certain from the article, and being on the wrong side of the pond I'm not familiar with the current spate of Quangos or government-owned companies.

Silver badge

For London it is very low which begs the question: did she walk [from Facebook] or was she pushed? Then again, isn't some deadline approaching for selling Facebook shares? and TCIO could be some kind of tax-efficient bouncy castle landing on her way back to Merka.

Silver badge
Thumb Down

Re: £115K@swarthy

You're right that it is low for a CEO position, but there's the rub: This is just a title. There's diddly squat to be in charge of, and just a (probably) government funded travel and expenses budget to burn through, and no accountability.

Who's pocket do we think that £115k plus comes out of?

a) The tech sector who hope to benefit

b) David Cameron's ermine lined pocket

c) Mine and yours,lined with lint and Aldi receipts

Front page their website: The Tech City Investment Organisation was established by UKTI to support the growth of the tech cluster in East London.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums