back to article Mac gamers a-gog as GOG goes Mac

Online retailer Good Old Games pushes its services onto Mac OS X this week, with a new collection of over 50 titles for the Mac. As well as a bunch of Bullfrog classics and nostalgia point-and-click epics sure to tempt our Antique Code Show readers, Mac gamers can now snag a copy of CD Projekt's highly-rated role-player The …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
JDX
Gold badge

Ooh, syndicate

Best game never to be (properly) remade.

Meh

Re: Ooh, syndicate

I haven't given up hope on this one yet. Given that PC gaming critics are currently wanking themselves into a coma over the new X-COM, someone may decide that there's money to be made in high quality re-releases of old strategy games.

However, given that Syndicate is currently in the iron-clawed grip of EA, I'm not holding out a lot of hope that it'd be good....

Silver badge

>Best game never to be (properly) remade.

I'm with you on that, JDX. I can imagine Syndicate would be worth developing for tablets, and if they do then fingers crossed they'll make an updated version for 'proper' computers at the same time.

In fact, I'm surprised more classic strategy games haven't been reworked for tablets.

I used to have pocketUFO for my old pocket PC, but i think it was unofficial but it was pretty good. I'm amazed the original X-Com/TFTD were never released on tablet, although I suppose it could be to do with the ownership.

JDX
Gold badge

A simple refresh for hi-res displays would be enough for me! There is an open-source project, but I'm not sure what exactly they have created.

office bullshit bingo

'going forward' did you mean to write, 'in the future', by any chance FFS!

I've been really warming to GoG recently. I've always liked them, but of late I've noticed that they've started to get the same items on discount as Steam, either at the same time or earlier. Their prices are very similar, their extras are better, and the best part of all - no DRM, ever. That's fantastic! When Alan Wake went on sale on both Steam and GoG, I got it on GoG, for less, with more. And I've been on Steam since day one.

Go

Even better

They let you download either the mac or windows version. They've also currently got a bunch of stuff going for free (yay Tyrian!) I don't know if that's a normal thing they do or if it's part of the mac ports launch.

Not quite...

> Various well-known titles, including Syndicate and Wing Commander are apparently available for the first time ever on a Mac.

Those games were available on the Mac when they first came out. Just not OS X (which of course did not exist back then).

Happy

Re: Not quite...

The article does mention that some games were only on PPC, and this is the new "breath of life" for them. OS9 vs OSX issues aside of course.

As for me - Privateer and Syndicate please!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums