back to article UltraViolet universal movie format still a no-show

UltraViolet, Hollywood’s attempt to tie physical media to movie downloads through an online locker, now has more than 5m accounts under its belt, but it’s still not ready for prime time: it’s key feature, a universal file format, is still not ready to be rolled out. UV was launched a year ago. By February 2012, it had clocked …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Barry Tabrah
    Stop

UV filters

"...a file that will play in suitable software no matter where you bought it from."

I'm guessing that doesn't mean another region though.

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: UV filters

I know Netflix USA and UK have different content, but does the digital world work on the same regions system as DVD/BD?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's a joke - you get a UV title and it won't work with iTunes / Apple stuff properly. You end up calling them to complaint and they give you an iTunes download code = fail.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm a 'member' of their god-awful service and I've never yet managed to actually get it to recognise I've bought one of the products that require it (note: not support it, require it). It's like saying the number of people who have it must mean chlamydia is actually really popular.

The last BR I bought that had it had both the iTunes code and UV code (which of itself suggests they know their system doesn't work).

To get the movie via iTunes :-

Type the code into iTunes

film downloads

To get the movie via UV

Go to a web page

type in the code

Decide which format you want the movie in (i.e. what resolution). You only get one choice.

Download the file.

Actually, as I say,the last two of those are actually theoretical, since I've never actually got further than 'type in the code'.

If the film industry really thinks this is something the consumer will be happy to accept, it's no wonder the pirates are eating their lunch.

4. jonfr
    FAIL

Never use Ultraviolet code

I have few blue ray movies with Ultraviolet code. I never use it. I do not care about it and I see no reason to use it at all.

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: Never use Ultraviolet code

That's probably because you never leave your bedroom?

5. M Gale

Uh huh.

Yay, I can get a locked-down, limited and shit version of a film if I go the official route. I have to create an account, I have to give login details, I have yet another password to remember, and yet more advertisers trying to cram their shit down my throat.

Or I can stick the DVD or BD in, engage rip software, come back later to a perfect copy (with no nag screens) that I can use however I like. Legally, too.

Wow, UV is really compelling.

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: Uh huh.

And how are you going to watch that ripped version on your phone in a hotel when you didn't think ahead to copy it on?

1. Shane Sturrock

Re: Uh huh.

Air Video Server running on my PC streams anywhere in the world, compressing on the fly so I don't even need to have a copy on my phone. Just fire up the client where I've got Wifi (it works over 3G too if you have a decent data cap) such as in a hotel and browse my movie and TV show collection. No problem.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

UltraViolet, classic bait and switch

Ultraviolet: The BS -

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/12/08/ultraviolet_uk_launch_for_boxing_day_we_kick_the_tyres/

"...through UltraViolet, punters will buy a universal, lifetime right to watch a movie in any format they want; it may be streamed to any device from the cloud, or downloaded to any device..."

Ultraviolet: The reality -

https://www.networkworld.com/community/node/81514/

...Alas, my hopes were dashed when I finally looked at UltraViolet's fine print. Instead of "owning" an Internet-capable copy of my movie or TV series, all I really get is a license which includes, "streaming from the selling UltraViolet Retailer, at no extra charge above the original content purchase price, for at least one year after purchase. This no-extra-charge streaming will be offered to specific apps/devices, and via streaming means, to be determined by the selling UltraViolet Retailer. Streaming of a given title from the selling UltraViolet Retailer more than a year after its purchase, or at any time via Streaming Services other than the selling UltraViolet Retailer, may incur fees and if so any such fees would be presented to the consumer in advance of streaming titles, with the consumer having the option to accept the fees or not use that Streaming Service..."

...and it goes on with more of the same.

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: UltraViolet, classic bait and switch

Didn't you just copy-paste that from the last UV thread Paul? It's almost like you're some kind of lobbyist.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: UltraViolet, classic bait and switch

Yep, but as soon as I posted on that article it got yanked from the front page, I have my suspicions ;-)

7. Robredz
    FAIL

DRM

It's DRM Jim , but not as you know it Captain! So after a year they will offer you another licence to stream it, at the original cost of the Disc and UV copy no doubt.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like