back to article Google rolls out new, cheaper Chromebooks 'for everyone'

Google announced the latest generation of its Chromebook browser appliances on Thursday, featuring a higher-resolution screen, an ARM processor, and a tablet-challenging list price of $249. The new Chromebooks are manufactured by Samsung, although this time they have no specific model number. The South Korean manufacturer is now …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

$249 in the US...£249 in the UK

What a total rip off :(

Anonymous Coward

But still

A waste of money for anyone not living in a major city.

For the rest of us, would you really want to rely on a third party connection for important work?

Even if they sold them at £5 they'd still be useless for me.

Anonymous Coward

Put this in a Nettop form factor for $99-$149

...and you could be on to something. Internet cafes, public libraries, schools, even <shame> my parents. When plugged into a network this thing makes sense... but on the go?

I do not like it on a plane.

I cannot use it on a train.

I have no use for it on a boat...

or walking down the street, wearing a coat.

I do not like ChromeOS portables Sam.

I do not like them, Sam I am.

WTF?

Re: But still

Wi-Fi Tethering?

Anonymous Coward

Here we go again...

$249 in the US...£249 in the UK

$249 without Tax

£249 with Tax

So really

$249

£199.20

Devil

To be fair, I'll probably buy one to replace my heavy and tired ThinkPad (running Debian) I use at home (with either Chrome OS or Debian). But knowing this isn't going to be popular I will just wait for PCWorld to put them on clearance first.

Re: Here we go again...

"So really

$249

£199.20"

Not Really, allowing for the exchange rate if its £199 in the uk,and it really is the same price it would be $319 in the US, or £155 in the Uk if its $249 in the US.

For a multinational company if you sell anything the UK stick 25% on it seems to be the rule of thumb.

JDX
Gold badge

What about import duty?

Silver badge

"What about import duty?"

What about it? They're imported to both countries. There's no real reason for the massive price hike in Europe, except because Google can.

It's crazy......

I can fly return to New York for £350, bring back 20 of these in my suitcase (22kg in weight) having paid a total of $4980 for them (~£3112) and even declaring them at customs* and paying 20% VAT plus import duty (~£780) it still works out £738 cheaper (£350 flight + £3112 Purchase Price + £780 Tax = £4242) than buying them here (20x249=£4980) !

Scammalicious.

*Instead of wrapping them in condoms and swallowing them, which would significantly increase my profit**

**Although some discomfort may be involved....

Re: It's crazy......

And the whole thread is moot anyway, cos according to the full page advert in Todays 'i' newspaper, they're £229, not £249.

So your profit is down by £400 and the rest of the thread is hot air.

Whats a 'newspaper' ?

Silver badge

But Shirley, they are not made in USA, but China? But I suppose UK <--> China return trip is more expensive

Re: Put this in a Nettop form factor for $99-$149

^^^ WINS AT POSTING ^^^

Silver badge
Pint

10: Products, take for example this new Chromebook, are more expensive in the UK because the cost of doing business is higher in the UK. The cost of doing business is higher in the UK because products are more expensive in the UK; take for example this new Chromebook. See? GOTO 10.

Silver badge

And $250 is still netbook territory.

At $99 it would be an interesting toy - but if it only does web - why do i need "a tablet with a keyboard" ?

Silver badge

Because it has a keyboard?

I must admit I'm confused. The whole idea of tablets and Windows 8 gets criticised here, because people don't want touch-only devices, and many of us (myself included) want to keep our keyboards and touchpads. But a major company supports not just touch-devices, but a new line of low end devices, using something other than Windows for people who want something else, and it gets nothing but moaning?

I mean sure, personally I'm happy with a Windows Samsung netbook. But it does annoy me the way that the media treat the ipad like the second coming, giving it vast amounts of free advertising even before its announced, whilst Chromebooks (as well as netbooks) get ignored, or criticised, or reported as failing.

The main problem with Chromebooks so far I think has been that they've been more expensive than netbooks, but the new ARM based ones seem targeted at the lower end of netbook pricing.

Another thing to consider is whether netbooks as we know them today will still exist, without a "Starter" version of Windows 8 (there are lots of interesting netbook/tablet hybrids announced, but these will unsurprisingly be more expensive than current netbook prices). So they'll either be more expensive if they need the full Pro version of Windows 8, or they'll switch to Windows RT and become tablet hybrids - perhaps leaving an opening in the market for Linux netbooks and Chromebooks (or just netbooks still running Windows 7, maybe...)

What's the point?

If the experience is anything like using google docs or google mail, then no thanks - they'd have to be giving them away for nothing and even then...?

Anonymous Coward

The computer with the OS nobody wants.

Silver badge

Does this one have the developer switch that lets you install linux?

Silver badge
Thumb Up

Been wondering about that myself. Might be worth snagging one as a toy when the price crashes and trying to put a fully functional OS on it like others have suggested.

The ARM chips might make that a little tricky

Perhaps port something across from the Raspberry Pi?

Silver badge
Linux

Re: The ARM chips might make that a little tricky

No,

I've been running Linux on ARM since 2005. It's been available much longer.

Where do you think the Pi eaters got Linux? It's available for ARM. Actually isn't Chrome OS really just Linux + a browser and everything else locked? Like Android is essentially a Linux variant + Davik (Google's flavour of JVM for Google's flavour of Java) + Browser.

My LG TV isn't intel either and runs a version of Linux.

About 1000 ARM cores ship per x86 Core I think and a lot of them run some sort of Linux. Some run VXworks or QNX or Windows CE (apart from ARM based phones running iOS, Android/Linux, Brew, QNX, Windows Phone (based on CE till v8), Symbian, Badu etc).

There is a big big world out there beyond the x86 and Windows. Don't be surprised if Mac Book or Mac Air drops x86 for ARM as soon as it makes more profit and little difference to User. They want OS X to be more like iOS anyway)

Anonymous Coward

Certainly, Arch Linux ARM predates the Raspberry Pi by some years (I believe it was "born" as a distro for running on SheevaPlug computers and their ilk). I've got Arch/ARM running very contentedly on my Pi - it's the recently-launched "hard float" version, which runs noticeably more smoothly than the old "soft float" one.

If these new Chromebooks can be "rooted" and Arch/ARM put on them, then perhaps I'll hang on for a year (or shorter...?) until they're being remaindered at places like Morgan or Laptops Direct, and look again. £99 or so would definitely secure my attention... :-)

Silver badge

No, far predates Sheeva

Silver badge
Thumb Down

Red rag, bull, etc.

1366-by-768

ARM Cortex A15

Well the interesting news here is that this is the first ARM Cortex A15 based device, and also the first ARM Mali T604 based graphics in a device.

£229 is just a bit too much still, but 1366x768 on an 11.6" is just about bearable - although some attempt at HD would have been nice - maybe next year when the prices drop.

Can ChromeOS run Android applications yet? Or is it still browser-only?

Headmaster

Re: ARM Cortex A15

>although some attempt at HD would have been nice

1366 x 768 *is* some attempt at HD.... it is HD.

Silver badge

Re: ARM Cortex A15

a TV HD anyway....

Computing has had higher resolution displays than so called 1920 x 1080 "full HD" for over 15 years.

JDX
Gold badge

Dear Google

Nobody is interested in your stupid ChromeBooks. Please stop wasting your time and money on this when you could be doing something cool and useful.

Thanks.

What is the point of Chrome?

Just put the latest version of Android on it and problem solved.

Silver badge

I do wonder that - or alternatively, bring them closer so that Chrome is at least compatible with Android applications.

Perhaps part of it is they're not sure if many Android applications will work well with keyboard and touchpad. There is one company that is bringing us an OS that will work with touchscreen as well as keyboard/touchpad, but I find it curious that on these forums, the whole idea is often criticised, with the claim being that people want one or the other, not both in the same device. Yet then Google get criticised for doing them separately?

Or if you mean you just want Android with touchscreen, then it's called an ASUS Transformer (if you want keyboard too), or a Google Nexus 7 (or many other devices) if you don't :)

Anonymous Coward

I wonder what's the environmental impact of all that unsold plastic garbage Google has been burying under the Chromebook name.

Anonymous Coward

Given that they've not been strong sellers, probably no worse than all the unrecyclable broken Apple kit with their screens and batteries bonded to the chassis. Or all the cheap windows laptops that end up in landfill when the hinges break.

Thumb Down

Samesung?

It all looks good, one only needs to swap that chromeOS thing by Ubuntu and go to town.

Unfortunately, this is a Samesung and the usual pathetic attempt at copying everything Apple does is there for everyone to see.

At $250 I'll buy it just for fun, but I don't spend money with copyright breakers or Chelsea sponsors.

Samesung is both

Bronze badge
Facepalm

Nah

If you're going to have a proper keyboard you at least need to have desktop applications available to make use of it. Otherwise you may as well choose a tablet. If you're buying a device of that size with a keyboard then you may as well buy a netbook, rather than be tied to a cut-down OS.

What are they thinking?!

Silver badge
Devil

Re: Nah

Why Netbook? You can actually buy subnotebook with a properly max-ed out spec for that amount of money.

I bought an end-of-line sale Vaio with 4G RAM, AMD Fusion at 1.6G, 500G hard disk and same screen size and resolution for roughly the same amount of money yesterday. It will never be booted into Winhoze (some idiot at Sony installed 32 bit on it) and go to live with Debian on it from day one.

So frankly, this is very bad deal for that amount of money. 99£ for a chromebook - I may consider it. 200+? Forget it.

Silver badge

What's the weight and battery life of that machine?

If you don't care about that, then yes a standard laptop is much better. But for those that do, comparing to netbooks does make sense. (Though I do find it annoying that the Chromebooks are 11" - one thing I love about netbooks is they're that much smaller. Same problem with the high end ultra-portables, I wouldn't mind paying more for something more powerful than a netbook, yet they're all larger, at a minimum of 11".)

Bronze badge

I should clarify that by netbook I meant those more like the Asus 1005HA-P that I've been hammering everywhere I go for the last few years. Not those original netbooks with big black bars around the screen, terrible battery life and SD cards masquerading as SSDs. My definition of netbook is 9+ hr battery, at least 1024x600 res, 1-4GB memory, space for a standard 2.5" HDD/SSD, mass no more than 1.2Kg, and size no greater than a sheet of A4 paper.

Silver badge

Interesting hardware

If I wipe off chrome, install Debian and add some USB3 storage, this new chromebook is better that what I am using now.

Anonymous Coward

Not enough power

I love the idea that Google's trying to bring something different to the market, but those geeky enough to show an interest are also those that like to be geeky with their gadgets..

A laptop that only runs a limited browser is no good for me when I want to root my phone and install a new rom.. when I want to mess around with Gimp and do some graphics for work.. when I want to be able to set up complex networks and streaming systems..

As a tool for schools, it could work, but for the mainstream consumer, the Chrome OS simply isn't powerful and developed enough. A "desktop" version of Android would be a much better direction for Google to focus on if they really want to develop an OS for the desktop and laptop market

h3
Bronze badge

I just want a working terminal. (Ideally with alt + ctrl + meta physical keys). Don't map escape to back either :/

Very light decent battery life and a browser is enough for me.

Matte Screen. (That probably discounts this unfortunately).

They really wanted the Nexus 7 to sell but not this or the Nexus Q. (Or they would give a fair price compared to the US).

Anonymous Coward

Sooo, exactly the same price as a netbook with an Atom CPU and a similar screen, except no storage to speak of and just a browser ...

Why wouldn't I just buy a netbook and install chrome on it?

Anonymous Coward

Salt free?

Those of us who have heard of NaCl must be wondering what's going to happen to all those plugins that devs have written. I guess that they're now broken! They were a stupid idea anyway... And if you don't know what NaCl is then that rather underlines how unpopular an idea it is.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Salt free?

Just noticed that NaCl does exist for ARM too, but the sandbox works in a different way. What's the betting that NaCl on ARM and x86 aren't quite API compatible? They certainly won't be equivalent in terms of compute performance.

I still don't like the idea - it's just yet another execution environment that will no doubt have many security flaws just like all the others that have gone before it - Unix, Windows, Java, JavaScript, HTML5, etc. NaCl is just a very complicated way of almost having a whole operating system. It's complexity comes from the fact that it is layered on top of a browser which in turn is layered on top of a real operating system, whilst the storage is who-knows-where. That sounds like a waste of battery life to me.

Debian please

Please someone work out how to install Debian on it, then I will buy one.

Thumb Up

Re: Debian please

It will be done. You can install debian on *anything* if you put enough effort into it. My NAS runs debian and it only took me a month to find the onboard serial port, figure out the kernel changes I needed to make and how to package and flash it, after that bootstrapping debian was easy...

My first thought also, nice if it can be repurposed, not really sure what Chrome-OS is for otherwise.

Silver badge

Much easier to install Debian on this than on a dead badger, which allegedly has been attempted. Not sure if it worked or was a headless server...

It will be interesting to see if support turns up here: <a href="https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ARM">Ubuntu ARM Wiki Page</a>.

FAIL

And the 2012 Pointless Award goes to...

I really don't get this. Why doesn't it have Android installed? Why are Google marketing 2 incompatible OSes? This is confusing, I'm sure the public would expect a Google branded laptop to run Android apps or something Windows compatible.

For £220 Joe Public will be better off buying a £160 Google Nexus running Android with access to 1000's of apps, or a netbook running Windows. Where on earth does a Chromebook sit in the market place exactly? Google should have spent their money on subsidising a 10" version of the Nexus for £199 with 3G to compete very favourably with the ipad market.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums