You think you have power and cooling issues? Slip into the shoes of Arthur ‘Buddy’ Bland, Project Director for the Oak Ridge Leadership Computing Facility, and learn how they keep one of the largest computing facilities in the world powered up, yet cool enough to prevent melting. I talked to Buddy recently about how Oak Ridge …
8' raised floors
Ah, those were the days. Remember the days of FEPs and 50ft 25-pin RS-232 cables? Some, we replaced with 4-wire, and others, with 6-way (dcd) and 12-way 'octopus' cables using 50-pin telco cables. I think we recycled over 700 of the RS-232 cables after replacing everything, and when we did, the floor tiles were no longer floating on the cables.
Cheers for the fond, and not-so-fond memories.
- Breaking news: Google exec in terrifying SKY PLUNGE DRAMA
- Geek's Guide to Britain Kingston's aviation empire: From industry firsts to Airfix heroes
- Analysis Happy 2nd birthday, Windows 8 and Surface: Anatomy of a disaster
- Google CEO Larry Page gives Sundar Pichai keys to the kingdom
- Adobe spies on readers: EVERY DRM page turn leaked to base over SSL