back to article Windows 8 ads hit US screens: Death Metal, exploding laptops

Microsoft’s Windows 8 TV ads have started running in the US. Microsoft started running the spots during peak-time viewing for US sports audiences on Sunday, just 12 days before the launch date of the Windows 8 OS on 26 October. Pre-orders have been open since Friday. The ad pushes touchscreen PCs hard – showing off only one …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Silver badge
Mushroom

Came for death metal

Leaving fucking disappointed.

Such a shame you don't let us vote on articles any more.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Came for death metal

It might be (or not) related to how some columnists delete comments they don't like... The votes on the article were all that was left for the comentards to express themselves, and some articles got heavily downvoted, which might have upset said columnists. Or maybe it has a completely different reason...

Linux

"It might be (or not) related to how some columnists delete comments they don't like" -- You must have tried to post a comment on one of Orlowski's "articles" ;)

Unhappy

I have just noticed that you can't vote on articles now, when did this happen? Did someone hack get angry that the iPhone 5 fawning review was voted down to oblivion?

Worrying trends of late with el reg...

Anonymous Coward

Fancy packaging

Loud designs and loud music, to distract you while they rifle you wallet.

Anonymous Coward

"I have just noticed that you can't vote on articles now, when did this happen? Did someone hack get angry that the iPhone 5 fawning review was voted down to oblivion?"

Well, it was just after that, yes. I'd be surprised though, Lewis seems like he trolls on purpose, and isn't a delicate soul, probably taking a mischievous glee in being downright naughty. I'd have expected the cause to be the notoriously over-sensitive and combative (such a combo) Orlowski.. :)

Anonymous Coward

easy for children

yeah, right, but I'm not a f... child any more :(

Anonymous Coward

Re: easy for children

Considering the UI design appears to have been copied from Fisher Price, it should be usable by a child.

My kid has a Mobi Go... I'm not trading my smart phone in for one of those any more than I'd trade my Win7 work laptop in for a Surface.

Trollface

Re: easy for children

When I installed the Consumer Preview version, the installer asked me "Please choose a colour you like" for my desktop, it presented a choice of 16 colours and I thought to myself "Well, I don't like any of them, how do I choose a custom colour? Oh, I can't. Um, can I use an image? er no, WFT?"

Silver badge
Mushroom

bogusky

an ad company telling the truth - who'd have thort it!

Anonymous Coward

So simple a child can use it...

... just like they can use Windows 7 or Linux .... its hardly a great selling point.

I just hope that I can still pick up a Win 7 laptop when I head over in November.....

Silver badge

Re: So simple a child can use it...

Question is, would a child want to use it?

This adult certainly doesn't.

Linux

So Windows 8 has been designed for children, who'd of thought it?

Silver badge

@Miek

Either them or chickens. I can't help heavily associate the music with the sound of a chicken. Screaming out in horror :)

This post has been deleted by a moderator

Thumb Up

Re: Win8 FAIL - touch screen PC's will FAIL

Not as much as you think.

Me and my partner have been using a Tranformer Infinity for a few months now, and whilst it is no laptop replacement we have started to see the intuitiveness of touching the screen when working on a laptop to the point where we are touching the screen of our actual laptops and then going "Doh! Not the Asus!"

Sure for pixel perfect work a mouse is better, but you would be amazed at how useful it is to touch the the screen for the larger actions (task switching, web sites, even selecting the icon from below this list). I guess the reason is that keyboard to screen is easier on a laptop than keyboard to mouse which is on the sofa or table.

I'm not sure how well it would work on a desktop where the screen are further away though.

FAIL

Re: Win8 FAIL - @Eadon

http://arstechnica.com/staff/2012/10/observations-on-whats-getting-downvoted-with-some-dissected-specimens/

Silver badge

The school I work for have bought a suite full of touch-ready machines in preparation for our now-inevitable Windows XP -> Windows 7/8 upgrade.

I am honestly dreading the amount of hassle the cleaning staff will give me at the end of the day, scrubbing off all those child's fingerprints, not to mention the amount we'll spend again with the company with use to sooth the bogie-fearers who come in once-a-term and clean the PC's with antibacterial junk (which I personally think is daft, but I'm not paying for it and they don't break my computers).

Not to mention how it will translate to lessons where you can touch on some machines and not others in the school and so on.

Touch is good. Has been for years. In very, very particular situations. Our intranet-showing communal screen in the staffroom is touch so that people can navigate it without me having to supply mice and keyboards. It's basically a locked-down kiosk.

But on the desktops? And expecting it on laptops? And DESIGNING the OS to use it as a core input method? It's silly. It's always going to be second-place for serious work, and tuning the OS towards it AT THE EXPENSE of normal usage is not a bright idea.

Our Windows 8 test image? I installed Classic Shell and go rid of Metro as much as humanly possible.

I was with you until the last but one paragraph.

As I said until we started using the transformer we would not have expected it - indeed I would have thought it was a pain in the neck.

But... After just a few months it's so useful and intuitive that I'm slightly dissapointed that our laptops don't have it.

As for designing your OS around it... I haven't played with 8 yet so I don't know how I am going to feel. Time will tell.

Rob
Thumb Up

For the pixel perfect stuff, I'd imagine the mouse will die eventually to be replaced by a pen. It's a similar story in our house having an Asus tablet as well. I think with an all touch screen OS and a pen (not too dissimilar to the S-Pen on Samsung's Note) it could be a smooth/gradual transition for most.

I'm the opposite.. I hate having to touch things on the transformer. Android is designed around touch, so some things are just clunky on the keyboard.. but that context switch bugs me.

On a full PC it'd be worse - a TF is a small thing, sits on your lap, so you're not moving your hand much. My main monitor is about a foot away.. if I had to keep stretching my hand to touch it I'd get tired fast - never mind 8 hours of it..

Silver badge

My primary monitor is at fingertip distance - as close as it's comfortable to view all edges without too much effort and eyeballing the entire screen is also relatively comfortable. As is focussing now my eyes are getting old. Or more accurately the centre of the monitor is at fingertip distance, the edges require leaning slightly forward.

The 2ndary monitor is also at fingertip distance, fingertip for the right hand side of it, again have to lean to reach the left side.

Touch is a total non starter, I'm not leaning forward every time I need to control anything, not prepared to hold my arms out all day anyway, not prepared to put my monitors anywhere but where it's most comfortable to *LOOK* at.

The fans keep forgetting touch is a solution to the 'where the hell can we fit a controller' problem, not something inherently advantageous, desirable or effective. It's a channel poor, low resolution input device with few unique features to balance that poverty and resolution. On the desktop I can live without multitouch better than I can do without precise control.

LIke I said, on a desktop I can see it being more difficult and the thought of moving a foot or more to reach the touchscreen would not be good. Dumb terminals, or machines kitchens / workshops not withstanding of course - where a simple touch would be better than a keyboard and mouse. (And this is nothing new, in manufacturing touch screen terminals have been used for years for this reason)

But on a laptop your fingers are by default next to the screen, and that is what for me makes it so easy to switch to touch without thinking about it.

Silver badge

I don't see it's a case of success and fail - I suspect that both will be true, i.e., most PCs will continue to sell with keyboard and touchpad/mouse, but the touchscreen will become a standard feature that's there in addition. Most the time I want to use a keyboard and touchpad, but sometimes it would be nice to be able to touch directly (e.g., graphics editing, or scrolling an image), as well as for ultra-portable use (as much as I dislike tablets for general computing use, there are some niches they are useful, and it would be nice to be able to use the same operating system and ecosystem). Indeed, touchscreens are already common on desktop PC monitors, seems strange this hasn't happened on laptops yet where you'd think it would be more useful.

I entirely agree that there are advantages to a mouse than touchscreen on any device larger than a phone. But we should be primarily criticising Apple who want to force large touch-only devices on us. Thankfully most of the so-called up-coming Windows "tablets" are actually laptop hybrids where the touch is just in addition, not a replacement.

WP7 is only 2 years old - Iphone sold poorly in the first two years too, did that fail too...? No the sales aren't great, but they still sell millions, which is enough for Apple to be hyped. I'm not sure the market is more "entrenched" today - although Android was less popular 2 years ago, it was still massively popular, and there was also the dominant amazingly successful Symbian two years ago. If anything, there's more of a chance for new OS now, because several of the long used popular OSs have either been ditched (e.g., Symbian) or lost significant market share (e.g., Blackberry). Or who knows, maybe we'll end up with just one main OS and one niche runner-up, with no chance for anyone else - but historically, the phone market has had 3, 4, 5 or more OSs.

And yes, software patents are bad. Same for Apple's trolling too.

Silver badge

Interesting - I mean, whether we argue it's a good thing or a bad thing, the fact that schools are buying in touchscreen PCs and gearing up for Windows 8 suggests it isn't the "failure" that the OP thinks it will be.

(And let's face it, there are loads of examples where what people think is best isn't what is the one with the largest market share.)

Windows 8 still works fine with mouse/keyboard btw. Metro seems to be mainly used for the simple built in apps - and how many people here stick with "Windows Mail" and so on? The advanced users always go and download their own email client etc anyway. The worry is more whether MS see the new UI as being the future for all software, as opposed to simply using it for simple or touch-oriented software. Though I suspect that if "Metro" is ever to become the main UI for all software, this will only be at some point in the future when it's evolved to include the best parts of windowed and non-touch UIs anyway (e.g., they're already trying to move in this direction by making it a tiled window manager).

Silver badge
Unhappy

3 hands?

If I have to hold a tablet with one hand and browse/swipe whatever with the other how the hell am I going hold my ciggie or cup o'tea?

Bronze badge
Coat

Rutabaga

Oh dear. Can't count down past eight. Damn poor show!

Silver badge
Trollface

Before they film their next touch screen ad

Give the kid a Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwich.

Linux

Re: Before they film their next touch screen ad

Or a packet of crisps.

Bronze badge

"so easy a child can use it"

or so simple an adult wont want to?

I've seen the ads

But what I notice in all of the jubilee, you won't find one mouse.

Everything is touch screen. My PC doesn't have a touch screen, so sod off!

Silver badge

Touch input?

As a replacement to mouse & keyboard? No way, touch screen keyboards are horrible to use, and the five flesh pointers stuck on the end of your arm are not as precise on a touchscreen as a mouse pointer in a traditional GUI.

As an addition to mouse & keyboard? Yes I can see that being an advantage.

JDX
Gold badge

Re: Touch input?

I wonder. Could MS "do an Apple" and bring an existing but unpopular tech to the masses... we all thought tablets were daft until iPad showed they can be useful. Maybe, just maybe, W8 could do the same for touch-screen PCs.

I think it's pretty unlikely too, but you never know.

Silver badge

Re: Touch input?

No, we didn't think tablets were daft, nor did Apple bring them to the masses - people were using handheld touchscreen devices for years, we just called them different names - media players, smartphones, PDAs. It was mostly Android that brought touchscreen devices to the masses.

The tablets which we thought were daft were tablet PCs, i.e., the same thing that people here are still calling daft. Now that's not to say that I agree with them - much of the problem with the older tablet PCs was that they tended to be even heavier than normal laptops. That's not true of smartphones, PDAs, or media player tablets (include Apple's), but it's also not true of the new upcoming Windows tablet PCs.

An ipad is not a tablet PC, it's a big phone or media player. But I don't necessarily disagree with your conclusion, just the argument from Apple.

The Eagles of Death Metal

Blimey... 'The Eagles' are more 'Death Metal' than 'The Eagles of Death Metal'.

Silver badge

Re: The Eagles of Death Metal

At least MS got the death part right.

FAIL

good showcase

of why it doesn't work. Look at how close they are having to sit to the screen, and the awkward stretching over keyboards. I can feel my back seizing up already.

Silver badge
Thumb Down

Re: good showcase

Yup, all those years and all that money spent on ergonomic-ifying (whatever) the workstation, all thrown out the window when workers start getting RSIs from reaching out to touch their monitors every few seconds.

Silver badge
Windows

@Chandy Re: "good showcase" The peripherals manufacturers are already way ahead of you.

Like Logitech for example:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2011471/logitech-debuts-three-touch-friendly-mice-designed-for-windows-8.html

Should take care of your back problem nicely. :P

Windows

I'm waiting, with popcorn in hand...

I know what I think about the Metrofication of Windows. However, what I think is irrelevant as I'll have to use it to test websites, etc.

What I'm waiting for is the unwashed plebs to get hold of Windows 8 on their non-touch low-end £300 laptop from PC World. Even if they add touch, it'll be interesting.

Let the plebs speak!

Thumb Up

This must be finally

Year of Desktop Linux

Bronze badge
Meh

Re: Year of Desktop Linux

Umm, I sort of like the enthusiasm, but no, it will be the same XP/Win 7 base.

Anonymous Coward

Queens of the trust fund

That's it with you and me Josh Homme; suing I Can't Believe it's Not Kyuss was bad enough but allowing your music to be used for a Microsoft commercial is the last straw. The ginger Elvis has left the building.

Silver badge

Garbage

Windows 8 can be man-handled into a usable state, no doubt, but that advert showed nothing good about Windows 8. It was full of touch screen gimmicks. If I want a touch UI I already have Android. Microsoft need to concentrate on business stuff, because otherwise the only competitor in that space will be XP and Windows 7.

Silver badge

"so easy a child can use it"

I want it so easy my parents can use it.

Anonymous Coward

Forget that. I'll stick with XP or 7. When the wife starts touching an inanimate object more than me, it's time to stop upgrading. :D

Pirate

Microsoft desperate?

I just noticed that retail Windows 8 Pro for pre-order sells for $69.99 (down from $199.99) at Amazon.com. For comparison, Windows 7 Pro sells for $264.28 and Windows 7 Ultimate for $279.95. Are Microsoft really getting desperate?

Also: http://www.businessinsider.com/microsoft-windows-8-sales-expectations-low-says-topeka-2012-10

Bronze badge
Stop

Re: Microsoft desperate?

That's because -as was explained in a previous article - all the Win8 products you wee advertised are Upgrade-Only. You must already have Win(something) installed. (there are Install versions of Win8, but they are a completely different kettle of fish and are pretty much OEM versions).

So you are comparing Install prices for Win7 with Upgrade prices for Win8.

Silver badge
Mushroom

> Windows 7 Ultimate for $279.95

$445 (that's 455.8580 US dollars) in my local Officeworks - I checked on Friday.

Oh wait, I remember, there are "local factors" which make Australia more expensive. Probably the lack of land to build shops on.

Coat

Ah. Well, at least I have the BusinessInsider article to be cheerful about. And the articles saying that pre-release adoption of Windows 8 appears to be five-fold lower than for Windows 7 at the same point in time (relative to its release in 2009).

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums