Feeds

back to article Russian Christians boosted by Pussy Riot law spank 'sinful' Apple logo

Apple has been criticised before - but never for promoting original sin. Seemingly emboldened by upcoming national legislation on blasphemy, Russian Orthodox Christians have defaced the logos on Apple products because they consider the bitten Apple to be anti-Christian, says Russian news agency Interfax (in Russian). The …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Such accusations from a religion that uses the image of bloke being executed?

Also, these idiots don't even know their own religion. The Bible never mentions an apple. It's just the fruit of the tree of knowledge.

Those wacky God-botherers , what will they get up to next.

Anonymous Coward

Religion? A pox on ALL your houses

As opposed to that religion where followers go around the streets shouting 'Death to Arabs' and slitting the throats of hapless Palestinians they come across in the streets?

Silver badge

Re: Religion? A pox on ALL your houses

I seem to recall it was originally a fig tree anyway.

Ru
Silver badge
Angel

"I seem to recall it was originally a fig tree anyway."

It would be appropriate. God Hates Figs, etc.

FAIL

I talked with my local Father a while ago about this. Adam and Eve is a parable and never really happened. I'd like to see these orthodox twits blaspheme their way out of THAT one!

Bronze badge

Even more specifically, fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil.

This post has been deleted by its author

Anonymous Coward

Well let me put itthis way, if a trained representative of the church who has been in their service for a few decades, in a few different countries doesn't know the score, then they're in a worse state than I thought they were.

Silver badge
WTF?

Those wacky God-botherers , what will they get up to next.

Whinging about Spongebob Squarepants apparently!

Headmaster

@ Peter Storm

From what I remember, in medieval English "apple" didn't refer to apples as we know them today, instead it was a word that applied as a generic term to fruit. It was only later when this generic term for various fruit was applied to a single type and became the apple we know and love.

Bronze badge

Re: @ Peter Storm

Just as one man's meat is another man's poisson.

Anonymous Coward

I think the generally accepted story about the logo is that it is an Apple bitten by Alan Turing.

But I'm sure the church wouldn't like that either given he was gay.

Anonymous Coward

Apparently it's nout to do with Turing.

I do see now that it's blatant that it could be to do with Adam & Eve ... but maybe it says something that most people reading would have gone for Turing over the Bible story!

Bronze badge

"Apparently it's nout to do with Turing."

Indeed, but as Jobs is no longer around to dispel that rumour, Apple could use that explanation if this ridiculous farce ever caused them any trouble.

Interesting......

I thought they just nicked it off the Beatles.

Silver badge

The apple bitten by Alan Turing.

I think they've done more damage to computing than that achieved.

FAIL

Fish

Shouldn't they draw little fishes rather than crosses?

Bill Hicks we miss you!

Silver badge
Happy

Re: Fish

A colleague at work just showed me the Darwin Fish car emblem.

Original sin

Since Apple claim to be the origin of everything popular, this makes perfect sense.

Thumb Down

Ugg... must such idiots pretend to speak for my faith?

Thumb Up

Yep. For as long as you allow them to.

RE: "idiots pretend to speak for my faith"

And you are surprised by this? Idiots flock to superstitious faith like flies to ....

Bronze badge
FAIL

AFAIK no apples are mentioned in the book of Genesis

Bronze badge

As Always...

...It's all in the interpretation. Whether it's lawyers, priests, mullahs, commentards, whatever, it means what they say it means

- not for or against, my beliefs are my own.

Silver badge
Alien

Apples

I'll have you know they are Cox's apples -

God would not bother with anything other than true English apples would he?

Silver badge
Coat

Apples...

"AFAIK no apples are mentioned in the book of Genesis"

Although I bet Noah wished he had a mac when it started raining!

I'll get my coat... it's made of plastic.

Go

Re: Apples...

As long as it is only made from one material!

Deuteronomy 22:11

Bronze badge
Joke

Re: Apples

"I'll have you know they are Cox's apples"

Oi! You just leave Brian out of this!

Anonymous Coward

Sweet Baby Jesus!

Holy unusual situation isn't it?

Silver badge
Angel

oh dear........

El Reg definately heading for the naughty step for allowing such phrases as below

Jesus Phone

St Steve

Church of Apple

Re: oh dear........

*definitely

There's nothing wrong with cultural sensitivity

Many organisations change their logo or name to avoid causing offence in certain cultures. The Red Cross is the Red Crescent in some countries, and, in the UK, Robertson's jam dropped the gollywog (am I allowed to use that word without traumatising delicate El Reg readers?) some years back to avoid offending shoppers.

Cuddly toys are offensive in the UK. Crosses are offensive in Islamic countries. Bitten apples might be offensive in Russia. Get over it. Just adapt to people whose values are different from your own.

Silver badge
Holmes

I draw you a Mohammed!!

> Just adapt to people whose values are different from your own.

I have no intention to adapt to people whose value is being professionally offended in the name of $DEITY and who go out of their way to tell me about it in no uncertain terms. I would rather use a daisy cutter on them.

Bronze badge
Alert

Re: There's nothing wrong with cultural sensitivity

Cuddly toys are offensive in the UK.

Eh?

Devil

Re: I draw you a Mohammed!!

"... I would rather use a daisy cutter on them."

And there we go. Each side is as bad as the other.

You know you could just say you don't agree or put forward as rational reason why it should be different.

Or of course we could all go back to just flinging faeces around the cage and civilisation be damned.

WTF?

There's a apple in my fruit bowl right now. Better not take a bite out of it in case a christian is walking passed my window and see it.

Cultural Sensitivity? Bollox - These people make a profession out of being offended.

If we adapt to everyone whose values are different then where does it end? Personally I'm offended by women having to walk down the street dressed as ninjas in case I can't control myself and jump them, I don't see Islam bending over to not offend me?

Gav
Bronze badge
Holmes

This is not Russian cultural sensitivity, this is a small sub-culture of Russia.

In all cultures, UK and Russia included, you'll find some bunch of loons who'll invent something to be offended by any logo you wish to use. Part of what binds these sub-cultures together is the idea that the rest of society is on a secret mission to annoy and persecute them. So they're often eager to find "evidence" of this.

Fortunately for the rest of society we are allowed to ignore them. Pandering to their disillusion only encourages them to up the stakes on the next "offence".

Bronze badge

As in, golliwogs.

I had one as a kid, probably still in my mother's attic somewhere.

(I doubt they have any effect on children, I stopped playing with it long before I had any idea they could be regarded as a caricature of black people.)

Gollywogs (soft toys based loosely on exaggerated African stereotypes) were found in every child's bedroom in Britain 50 years ago but are now widely regarded as grossly offensive to the point where a broadcaster and daughter of a former prime minister recently lost her job for comparing an interviewee to one.

Gold badge

I think it was always the comparison that was considered grossly offensive. The dolls just got caught in the cross-fire. That is, it was easier to remove all the dolls from society than remove all people who were wont to make offensive comparisons. (Perhaps the latter approach would probably have been better in the long term.)

Anonymous Coward

Yes, I had one as a child in the 70s. The racist, sexist, homophobic 70s - just look at some of the TV sit-coms that can't be shown anymore and wonder if this time is to be held up as a paragon of virtue where everything was right and proper.

Golliwogs are grossly offensive you'll be hard pushed to find anyone - particularly anyone who isn't white, generally anti PC, male and commenting on the internet - who will defend them.

"Cuddly toys are offensive in the UK"

Yeah, the f**cking Generation Game has got a lot to answer for!

The difference here is that people from Africa actually exist, and it can be demonstrated that the soft toys you mention are an offensive racial stereotype, whereas the offensive nature of the bitten apple only exists inside the heads of a few people who chose to find the image offensive, and as such has no basis in reality.

Thumb Down

There's a world of difference between respecting cultural norms, and kowtowing to a bunch of loudmouth looney fanatics because they have sand in their manjinas over a symbolic representation of a piece of fruit.

If religious people would only grow the hell up I might not hold them in such contempt.

Silver badge
Thumb Down

Re: Just adapt to people whose values are different from your own.

Hmmm. FSM forbid that they have to adapt to anyone else, no: it is always the majority that has to adapt to the obnoxiously loud minority.

Silver badge

"Cuddly toys are offensive in the UK"

Yeah, the f**cking Generation Game has got a lot to answer for!

Is there an actual reason for Bruce ?

Is he as old as God?

No it's not a good game, now bugger off you creepy man!

Anonymous Coward

Re: I draw you a Mohammed!!

"... I would rather use a daisy cutter on them."

And there we go. Each side is as bad as the other.

You know you could just say you don't agree or put forward as rational reason why it should be different.

Apparently if you're a modern, rational übermensch, it's OK to be nasty to the ignorant believers.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.