US boffins have bagged the Nobel prize for chemistry for helping to figure out how cells sense their environment. Robert Lefkowitz of Duke University and Brian Kobilka at Stanford School of Medicine won for their work on G-protein coupled receptors, which snake in and out of cell's membrane and are one of the main methods of …
How did they know the Swedish accents were authentic?
Because they sounded like the chef in the muppets or because they sounded like the plumber in the movie they watched in the 70s?
I think the Swedish academy of science might need to look at a more secure authentication program.
Although First Direct having it's call centre in Leeds was a good test. Unless nigerian scammers have learn't t'tak proper like wot ar do sithee.
So well deserved, this one.
This discovery was at least as important to modern biology (and as a result, medicine) as the proof that DNA was the carrier molecule for heredity.
"So well deserved, this one"
Agreed - spent a lot of my working life on these devils.
Interestingly the full horrendous complexity of how they operate still hasn't been elucidated
Normal Words Optional
Does any other newspaper in the world use the quasi-word "boffin"? Whenever I see it in a news aggregator headline I know it's gotta be The Register. Charmingly parochial.
- Asteroids as powerful as NUCLEAR BOMBS strike Earth TWICE YEARLY
- Got Windows 8.1 Update yet? Get ready for YET ANOTHER ONE – rumor
- Patch iOS, OS X now: PDFs, JPEGs, URLs, web pages can pwn your kit
- Review A premium smartie lump: Oppo N1 CyanogenMod Edition
- Sony Xperia Z2: 4K vid, great audio, waterproof ... Oh, and you can make a phone call